Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi,

Im new to Daphile. Just created a boot sd drive for my 2014 mac mini. When i power up the mac mini the screen just stops on blank. Does any of you know what is happening? Ive tested the sd card booting on my 2015 macbook pro and the daphile boot sd boot disk came up and it was working. Please help.

Also when i dont have wifi on the mac mini, will it configure internet automatically using the ethernet? I really need in depth guidance, am trying to compare this vs the beta version of audirvana studio running on my mac mini. I will be using upnp protocol to my network renderer/endpoint. Looking fwd to hear back from you guys! Thanks

Hi kerisabe,

I am running Daphile on a 2008 Macbook and I could not get it to boot from a USB drive. The way I got around this was to burn the daphile .iso file to CD. I was then able to boot the Macbook from the CD and did the install from there.

I also run the Macbook using the ethernet port and it just worked, nothing to configure.

For info I later enabled the wifi just to see if it worked, which it did, but I just use the ethernet connection.

On LMS you can easily change the location of your playlists in the gui. But it seems you can't do it so easily in Daphile.

Daphile runs a memory-based filesystem on top of read-only squashfs. That gives it resiliency to abrupt power cuts. However, any changes not stored to its internal config (probably on a separate small partition, I have not checked) will be lost upon shutdown.

Probably you could make changes to unsquashfsed filesystem (image file rootfs in the downloaded iso, likely copied into the main partition of daphile installation), compress it with squashfs again, and copy to the original location in daphile drive, while having booted from some linux live flash. IIRC LMS is located in /opt, maybe just changing some config file in the unwrapped filesystem would do.

Last edited:
Daphile runs a memory-based filesystem on top of read-only squashfs. That gives it resiliency to abrupt power cuts. However, any changes not stored to its internal config (probably on a separate small partition, I have not checked) will be lost upon shutdown.

Probably you could make changes to unsquashfsed filesystem (image file rootfs in the downloaded iso, likely copied into the main partition of daphile installation), compress it with squashfs again, and copy to the original location in daphile drive, while having booted from some linux live flash. IIRC LMS is located in /opt, maybe just changing some config file in the unwrapped filesystem would do.
Thanks phofman. I'd need to do some reading up before attempting that kind of thing tbh.

Suddenly no sound from Daphile

Hello there,

Been running Daphile for a few years without issues. Since a few days ago I can't get any sound out of it.

Daphile starts, the DAC lights move to indicate a connection, the music is playing but no sound.

What's strange is that when I switch tabs and then return to the Audio Player tab the music play time returns to zero. Also the computer fan is spinning faster than normal so indications are that Daphile didn't fully start up correctly.

Wondered if anyone had a similar issue. Thought I'd try the forum before swapping hardware.

Thanks
David

HI, I have been using Daphile in a PC setup for a while and very happy with the performance. Would it be possible to play Apple Music hires? How can it be done? Thanks

A plug-in would be needed to add Apple Music to Lms, don’t know if it’s available. The other way is to stream through Airplay, you need to install shairtunes2 plugin in lms to use Airplay.

Hello there,

Been running Daphile for a few years without issues. Since a few days ago I can't get any sound out of it.

Daphile starts, the DAC lights move to indicate a connection, the music is playing but no sound.

What's strange is that when I switch tabs and then return to the Audio Player tab the music play time returns to zero. Also the computer fan is spinning faster than normal so indications are that Daphile didn't fully start up correctly.

Wondered if anyone had a similar issue. Thought I'd try the forum before swapping hardware.

Thanks
David

Check the DAC 'mixer' settings - see settings, audio devices, and the settings for your DAC

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I could use some help with a problem with my server that occasionally arises when my home suffers a power outage. Once power is restored, my server hangs during boot-up at "stage 99" (see photo and note the '99' in the lower right corner). The last time this occurred was in October 2020, and DRONE7 and phofman were very helpful in resolving the problem (see posts 4015-4020). Unfortunately, the power grid in my neighborhood isn't very reliable and DRONE7 and phofman's advice then isn't working now (a new thumb drive with a fresh Daphile installation, fresh motherboard battery, all connections checked and rechecked).

The server is pretty simple: an ASRock N3050B-ITX motherboard, 1 Tb SSD, 4Gb RAM, and the next-to-latest version of Daphile. The server is plugged into a Furman AC-215 surge protector and connects to the router via TP-Link power line extenders. I've rebooted the power line extenders to ensure they're working properly. Of course, the real issue is that I can't get Daphile to load -- the server is hanging during initialization.

Do motherboards get old and fail during initialization? I know nothing about motherboard configurations and have avoided messing with mine, but is there a setting that would cure this problem (assuming I can ever get to the BIOS)? This motherboard is about 5.5 years old and has worked flawlessly except in these instances of post-power outage.

Your sage advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Server Hang On Boot Page.JPG
    Server Hang On Boot Page.JPG
    917.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
The boot sector of your hard drive may be hosed. Can you boot into the system BIOS at all to try and boot Daphile from a USB drive. You might be able to reinstall from there. You'll lose all your settings, but at least you can rebuild from there.

Three suggestions -
1) get a UPS and plug your computer into it. Should power go down while it's running you can gracefully shut down.

2) don't have the computer restart when the power is turned back on. That's certain death in the presence of multiple, quick power outs.

And finally, don't leave the computer on if you're not using it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
jnorris:

The hard drive is not used to store Daphile; Daphile is stored on a USB thumb drive (see the first paragraph in my post above). I cannot get to the BIOS; the server hangs during the initialization process before access to the BIOS is possible (a point I had thought had been made -- if not, mea culpa). I leave the server running 24/7 and, aside from shutdowns whenever power goes out, it has been running continuously for 5.5 years. I'm not sure it's practical to power up and down a server on the basis you're suggesting (perhaps it is for others, but not for me).

patagonia:

I guess my post above was confusing. I mentioned replacing the battery with a fresh one, also in the first paragraph.

All:

I'm not trying to be rude and apologize if I'm coming across that way; your help is appreciated. But it sorta helps if you read the post that frames the issue.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:
jnorris:

The hard drive is not used to store Daphile; Daphile is stored on a USB thumb drive (see the first paragraph in my post above). I cannot get to the BIOS; the server hangs during the initialization process before access to the BIOS is possible (a point I had thought had been made -- if not, mea culpa). I leave the server running 24/7 and, aside from shutdowns whenever power goes out, it has been running continuously for 5.5 years. I'm not sure it's practical to power up and down a server on the basis you're suggesting (perhaps it is for others, but not for me).

patagonia:

I guess my post above was confusing. I mentioned replacing the battery with a fresh one, also in the first paragraph.

All:

I'm not trying to be rude and apologize if I'm coming across that way; your help is appreciated. But it sorta helps if you read the post that frames the issue.

Regards,
Scott

The 99 code on other ASRock boards is the SuperIO initialization phase. Perhaps one of your connected devices has failed, Can you try booting with no peripherals attached?