Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

"read only file system" problem in Daphile

Dear Sirs: My name Is Juan Crespo and I write you from Costa Rica. I have a problem installing Daphile that I don't know how to solve, I have been reading very carefully all installing documentation and even I have surfed the web in order to find if a similar problem had ben reported but I don't have found any solution.

I have a Mac Mini 2.1 with a 1TB HD installed. I want to dedicate this computer entirely to Daphile. I have downloaded the recommended 64 bits version (I have tested the other two versions but the problem is exactly the same so I am going to focus in recommended 64 bits version).

The beginning appears to be normal, I start from the bootable USB, it asks me to click F11, I skip wifi option, I write 192.168.100.123 as desired IP, I write 255.255.255.0 as mask and 192.168.100.1 as both router and DNS server (I have searched the info in other computer ) I skip search domains and I write "y". Then the options about drives appear and I select my HD and then the four digit key code appears and I write the four digit code and then "continue) Then it appears "remove media and press any key" and the system starts.

As I want to use the computer only for Daphile I go directly to Settings and system firmware, I select the 1tb drive and I select the options Daphile recommends for mac: GUID and UEFI. I click install and a series of messages that partitions are being created and every thing is OK appears. The problem begins when, after that, A message still appears "running dapple from the read only file system. changes cannot be saved" as you can see in this image

Dropbox - daphile01.png - Simplify your life

I f I go to storage options, all the units appear as disabled, I only can set sd3 for music as you can see in

Dropbox - daphile02.png - Simplify your life

if I go back to system firmware, I can see my HD and the install button but then the partition table and boot loader options have disappeared as you can see in

Dropbox - daphile03.png - Simplify your life

If I try to restart the system (because I was wandering if it could be necessary for the changes to be set) the computer remains "waiting for a network connection" and nothing happens

I am pretty sure that all the problem is because if I am in read only file system, then if I restart all info is lost so the computer can't access to a connection because the ip I had write has been lost, but how can I make to be in other than "read only file system"?

Please could you give some advice or what I must do.

Yours sincerely,

Juan Crespo

Hi Juan,
This is not needed.....skip the wifi and then boot...Daphile will set up your plugged Ethernet connection.

I skip wifi option, I write 192.168.100.123 as desired IP, I write 255.255.255.0 as mask and 192.168.100.1 as both router and DNS server (I have searched the info in other computer ) I skip search domains and I write "y".

I note from your screenshots that the partitions show as Disabled....what happens when you use the dropdown menu for each ? is there an Enable option..?

Hello Dron7, and thank you very much for your help. When I access to the partitions dropdown menus the two first partitions appear as disabled and there are no more options to select. The third one can be used for music, backup and a third option (I don't remember the name in this moment).

My comment about skipping wifi is because who you start from bootable USB appears a first line that say "press F1 to configure" (or similar) then ask if you want to connect by wifi, I only click return and then ask me about IP address, mask address, router address, etc So, do you think that I can only to click return in all this options and leave Daphile to establish the network parameters by its own?

Best Regards,

Juan

yes yes yes!!! thank you thank you so much!! It was the answer. Once I skipped the network settings I installed the system firmware in my HD and when I restarted the system the message about read only and the problems with the partitions disappeared, since it was to establish connection after restart.

thank you thank you thank you

Best Regards

I've installed the latest Daphile version daphile-20.08-i486.iso and I'm having problem with the cover art display. Upon installation, the cover art files (folder.jpg) are all correctly displayed. From the second use of Daphile onwards, every single album shows the same cover art picture. Anyone knows what happens?

Another observation is that the stop/start between tracks is very noticeable. This is okay for non-concert albums but the interruption can be quite distracting. Anyone has this problem as well?

As an update, I added a SOtM SMS 200 Ultra to my Daphile server which took care of the stop/start intermission problem. But the cover art display for DSD and wav files is still problematic - Only one cover art is assigned to these files. However, other file formats like flac and aiff are okay.

Another question is how I can attach an external USB HDD to backup all the contents? Thank you for the advice!

Hello Hifi Enthusiasts,

I already searched the web to solve the problem I have but was unable to fund a solution. Maybe someone hab a similar problem.

I'm currently trying to Set up a Daphile server. Therefore I bought a Asrock J5005-itx Mainboard and a Intel AX200NGW Wifi card.
Daphile should be the only OS running on that setup.

So now to my problem: when booting from my USB device I'm able to install Daphile and with the ethernet cable connected I'm also able to control the Daphile PC from other devices in my network. But I'd like to have this Daphile PC connected by Wifi. So if I enter the IP details in the networking section and unplug the ethernet cable the OS is showing the static IP address I assigned, but in no longer able to get a connection from other devices.

A silimir problem appears when not setting any IP addresses. The OS is showing a IP address on the screen it assigned itself and says it's in Hotspot Mode. But I'm neither finding a Network named Daphile, nor I'm able to connect to the IP it is showing.

Am I doing anything wrong? I've read that the networking tab in settings show only if daphile recognized the wifi card. So I guess it should work. Or am I missing any drivers? But I also don't see any way I am able to install these myself on the daphile OS.

Wish everyone here a nice weekend.
With best regards DosenZorn

Hi all.
I have Daphile laptop/pc usb boot with dsd only DAC.
1. Sometimes while playing, one channel lost, if I press play or restart, two channels resume working normally. Is it due to Daphile? how to solve?
2. When I use Surface pro4, it's screen does not go blank even selected in power settings. Pls tell me how.
Thank you.

Hi folks. I have a lenovo M83 thinkcentre tiny PC running the latest version of daphile rtk. It's an I5 processor with a 60 gig ssd and 8 gig memory. Occasionally songs just stop mid way through and, if it is part of a playlist, daphile starts the next song. Is this a system resource issue? Daphile is allocating 3072 kB to both streaming and output buffers. I have a 1Tb ssd via USB2 for local files and am streaming hi res Qobuz. Any clues would be much appreciated.

Hello Guys,
this is my first post here and I would like to have your advise before purchasing newIntel NUC for Daphile. I would like to run Daphile real time kernel on Intel NUC 7CJYH, add 8 GB Ram and SSD disk, Hiface Two usb/spdif converter leading to Arcam SA20 stereo amp. Few questions please:
1) 4GB vs 8GB RAM - to play only FLAC files (max 192khz 24 bit)
2) not sure what is better setup - to use larger SSD in NUC and upload music files directly to SSD or to have smaller SSD just to run Daphile and connect to my old Synology NAS (DS214+)
3) how reliable is Daplhile on wi-fi? I would like to avoid LAN cable connection to NUC and preferably use only wifi..but would like to hear your advice here. Should there be any issues I can add TP Link network switch to my chain as I do not have any empty LAN port on my router.

Hi,
Wifi Problem

I had a problem with by wifi access, it was working yesterday and today it suddenly stopped working. The system works via the hardwired Ethernet connection(*), it booted OK and able to access files. My firmware is the latest RT version.
I took out the wifi card and cleaned the edge connector and still no Wifi access. I suppose my wifi card is busted. Anyone experiences this problem lately? Thanks in advance.

* Used a wifi scanner NO wifi connection detected.

Last edited:
Hi,
Wifi Problem

I had a problem with by wifi access, it was working yesterday and today it suddenly stopped working. The system works via the hardwired Ethernet connection(*), it booted OK and able to access files. My firmware is the latest RT version.
I took out the wifi card and cleaned the edge connector and still no Wifi access. I suppose my wifi card is busted. Anyone experiences this problem lately? Thanks in advance.

* Used a wifi scanner NO wifi connection detected.

Is the 'wifi scanner' an application installed on a separate computer/phone/tablet? If YES then your router or wifi repeater/booster (if you rely on something like this) may be malfunctioning. Go back to 'basics' (remove any 'repeater', re-start your router, check via the router console what devices are on the network (LAN and WiFi) and the WiFi settings...

Use an external Daphile-friendly WiFi dongle as an alternative 'wifi card'... Make sure you disable the internal 'WiFi card' in the BIOS when you use an add-on USB WiFi dongle.

By the way is the original 'wifi card' detected in the BIOS...?

Is the 'wifi scanner' an application installed on a separate computer/phone/tablet? If YES then your router or wifi repeater/booster (if you rely on something like this) may be malfunctioning. Go back to 'basics' (remove any 'repeater', re-start your router, check via the router console what devices are on the network (LAN and WiFi) and the WiFi settings...

Use an external Daphile-friendly WiFi dongle as an alternative 'wifi card'... Make sure you disable the internal 'WiFi card' in the BIOS when you use an add-on USB WiFi dongle.

By the way is the original 'wifi card' detected in the BIOS...?

Many thks for taking the time to respond. I managed to solve this problem. The card was not faulty, the address of Daphile was incorrect addresses.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi all.
I have Daphile laptop/pc usb boot with dsd only DAC.
1. Sometimes while playing, one channel lost, if I press play or restart, two channels resume working normally. Is it due to Daphile? how to solve?
2. When I use Surface pro4, it's screen does not go blank even selected in power settings. Pls tell me how.
Thank you.

If it's when Daphile convert PCM to DSD? If it's go to Settings=>Advanced Settings=>Conversion to DSD=>Attenuation and increase the dBs.

I am not able to backup my music collection

Dear friends:

My name is Juan and I write you from Costa Rica. I am a Daphile user from two months more or less. I have installed Daphile as the only OS within a 2007 Mac Mini (both system and music library in a 1Tb mechanical HD). I have a problem and I hope you could help me.

I have a certain number of albums in my Daphile collection so I wish to have a backup. I have a 1Tb external drive that I am no using anymore so I did the following:

1 - I erased all the external drive using disc utility from my Mac Book Pro (I left it as FAT32)

2 - I plugged it (using USB) to the MacMini that runs Daphile

3 - I went to Daphile Settings - Backup

4 - I selected the "incremental copy" option, also I selected the options that erase anything in the destination drive. I selected the internal drive as origin as external as destination. I also selected manual backup option

5 - I saved changes and I restarted

6 - I went to "info" section and I click on "backup"

7 - it seems to start properly, it begins to scan tracks ... but it stops when it gets about 2000 tracks and the the following message appears

Dropbox - 01.png - Simplify your life

I have checked the connections , I have used the full backup option instead of incremental but I don´t have a clue about the reason of this problem. Could you please help me? Any suggestion will be very appreciated. At the end of this message I link two other screen captures because I think that they could be useful.

In addition, I am planning to change my mechanical drive for a SSD drive so I have purchased a1Tb SSD (my plan was to backup all my music, then reinstall Daphile in my new SSD and then move my music from backup drive to SSD drive). Can I move my music from my mechanical drive to the SSD drive with another option or command instead of backup?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and your help.

Best regards,

Juan

Dropbox - 02.png - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 03.png - Simplify your life