Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2004
Paid Member
phofman & Co.:

My two servers have the same motherboard, RAM, power supply and version of Daphile. I swapped their power supplies and the one that has been giving me trouble continues to do so. The problem doesn't appear to lie with the power supply.

I have a new old stock motherboard on hand. I will pick up some RAM for it tomorrow and swap out the motherboard on the troublesome server.

Thanks for the support.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

The follow-up: I discovered that the boot configuration had changed in the BIOS. Instead of finding Daphile on the dedicated USB memory stick, the motherboard was looking at the SSD. How that happened is unclear; it wasn't changed by human hands. In any event, after resetting the BIOS all is well.

Sorry for the run-around. What could have caused the change in the BIOS?

Regards,
Scott

Has anybody noticed oddball genres in their library lately? I was looking at that section and found I have a bunch of music being listed under "British", "Composer", and "Special Purpose Artist". The music is listed as "Various Artists" even though there is a couple that aren't VA, and the files are in all codecs (mostly FLAC or MP3). I ran the files through MP3TAG and the tag inspector in Musicbee and there is nothing there that would bring up those genres.
BTW, I'm using the latest beta, but I have tried rolling back a couple versions - same thing

Dual PC Daphile setup

I have Daphile installed on an old laptop (A) ssd drive. Music seats on the 200GB data partition. From a browser running on another laptop (B) I can display 404 Not Found and play local files through an USB-DAC.
I installed LMS on laptop (B) (Ubuntu 18.04). Chrome display of http://localhost:9000 shows LMS is up and running on (B). I cannot make Daphile to play music files served by LMS in laptop B. Am I missing something? Daphile requires a special setup to play files served by a separate LMS? I would appreciate any help.

I have Daphile installed on an old laptop (A) ssd drive. Music seats on the 200GB data partition. From a browser running on another laptop (B) I can display 404 Not Found and play local files through an USB-DAC.
I installed LMS on laptop (B) (Ubuntu 18.04). Chrome display of http://localhost:9000 shows LMS is up and running on (B). I cannot make Daphile to play music files served by LMS in laptop B. Am I missing something? Daphile requires a special setup to play files served by a separate LMS? I would appreciate any help.

You can always reference B as networked storage

version 19.12 available

new version available (both stable and beta):

2019-12-21 version 19.12 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:

- Support for HLS (m3u8) audio streams

- Option for alphabetical sorting order rules (selected lanuages)

- Playback option to use live de-emphasis filter for tracks having PRE-EMPHASIS metadata tag set

- CD ripping option to tag PRE-EMPHASIS metadata for identified tracks

- Option to disable optional CPU exploit mitigations (maximize performance; requires GRUB2 boot loader).

- LMS update to Dec 21st, 2019 Git version (72652db)

- Kernel update to 4.19.90 and 4.19.90-rt35 (incl. some native DSD support additions)

- Daphile built with GCC 9.2 - Major component updates:

- Perl from 5.26 to 5.28 series

- Python from 2.7 to 3.6 series

- Samba from 4.8 to 4.10 series

- Glibc from 2.27 to 2.29

- Bug fixes, minor modifications and component updates

I tried both ways. The final target is to have A working as a player (it now has both functions, server + player).
First I tried to have A access LMS running on B by setting LMS address (192.168.1.B:9000) on the 'external' field.
Second I tried to force B to use Daphile on A as a player through localhost:9000. The LSM web page couldn't find any player.
I know is some stupid mistake, but I find myself stuck and unable to progress to a solution.

I tried both ways. The final target is to have A working as a player (it now has both functions, server + player).
First I tried to have A access LMS running on B by setting LMS address (192.168.1.B:9000) on the 'external' field.
Second I tried to force B to use Daphile on A as a player through localhost:9000. The LSM web page couldn't find any player.
I know is some stupid mistake, but I find myself stuck and unable to progress to a solution.
in the External address field specify only the IP-address (without :9000). That worked for me.

new version available (both stable and beta):

2019-12-21 version 19.12 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:

- Support for HLS (m3u8) audio streams

- Option for alphabetical sorting order rules (selected lanuages)

- Playback option to use live de-emphasis filter for tracks having PRE-EMPHASIS metadata tag set

- CD ripping option to tag PRE-EMPHASIS metadata for identified tracks

- Option to disable optional CPU exploit mitigations (maximize performance; requires GRUB2 boot loader).

- LMS update to Dec 21st, 2019 Git version (72652db)

- Kernel update to 4.19.90 and 4.19.90-rt35 (incl. some native DSD support additions)

- Daphile built with GCC 9.2 - Major component updates:

- Perl from 5.26 to 5.28 series

- Python from 2.7 to 3.6 series

- Samba from 4.8 to 4.10 series

- Glibc from 2.27 to 2.29

- Bug fixes, minor modifications and component updates

Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the latest version, it worked well. I suppose you are the developer, thanks for this free software. I don't mind paying a small sum of money if you can update the software to make it more user freely, e.g. I find it difficult to work with Youtube webpage.

Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the latest version, it worked well. I suppose you are the developer, thanks for this free software. I don't mind paying a small sum of money if you can update the software to make it more user freely, e.g. I find it difficult to work with Youtube webpage.
Thank you for the credits, but I'm not the developer. Kipeta is. If you have difficulties then it's best you go to Daphile – Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles and add your comment, although I don't think the You Tube webpage is something that Kipeta can change since this is a plugin for Logitech Media Server (LMS). Best to become a member of the Squeezebox : Community : Forums forum and go to ANNOUNCE: YouTube Plugin (API v3)) . Add your question/issue and I assume it will be picked up (by thread owner or someone else with experience of this plugin).

hello guys,

Does anyone know if i can install this software on a virtual machine in esxi host? And of course, make it work afterwards.
Currently i booted it in a virtual machine, but it does not see my local drive (so i can install it) and also does not see any audio device.
My goal is to make it work on a virtual machine and to stream the music through the network on a tablet or phone or a chromecast audio. Is this possible? Or it works only an a physical PC with a physical disk in it and a physical DAC/audio interface attached directly?

Thank you

hello guys,

Does anyone know if i can install this software on a virtual machine in esxi host? And of course, make it work afterwards.
Currently i booted it in a virtual machine, but it does not see my local drive (so i can install it) and also does not see any audio device.
My goal is to make it work on a virtual machine and to stream the music through the network on a tablet or phone or a chromecast audio. Is this possible? Or it works only an a physical PC with a physical disk in it and a physical DAC/audio interface attached directly?

Thank you
I have no experience with ESXi but I run Daphile in an Oracle VM VirtualBox on a Debian-hosted system. The system I'm using not very powerful (a J1900 processor with 4GB memory and 128GB SSD), but for daily usage it's doing its job. The configuration is as follows:

- Debian Stretch with VirtualBox and Pi-hole (DNS and DHCP server), using Webmin as administration tool.
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server
- one custom AntiX Virtual Machine
I'm not sure how I installed Daphile on a VM-disk (it's running for a long time already), but if I recall correctly I added an empty disk (ext4 format) and installed on that disk from within Daphile (via Settings - System Firmware). In VirtualBox the disk is called ATA VBOX HARDDISK

I stream to several Squeezebox-devices and PicorePlayers via Ethernet. I'm not sure you can stream to a Chromecast (never tried it). On a phone or tablet you need a Client that can "talk" LMS-protocol, e.g. SqueezePlayer or SB Player (payed Apps, but there may be free ones too).

I hope this helps ......

I have a problem with a Synology SMB network share. I can mount it OK and browse files using Daphile file manger. But scan always fails to find any tracks. Scanner log has a bunch of error messages like this :

[19-12-27 01:45:30.2821] Audio::Scan::scan (37) Warning: Could not open /srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/TheVault/1998 - Music Has The Right To Children [flac]a/01. Boards Of Canada - Wildlife Analysis.flac for reading: Not a directory

Anyone have any idea why this could be?