Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Problem solved it seems after beating my head against the wall for several hours.

Here is how I managed to fix the problem.

Problem:

1TB SSD drive that housed my .flac files in my HTPC running Windows 10 worked fine with Daphile as a 'Read' only drive. However, I could NOT change the drive to 'RW' so I could add or modify files through Daphile or via the network. I tried both firmwares and did several installs. Nothing worked.

SSD drive had been formatted by Windows10 in ntfs.

Solution:
It occurred to me after a while that maybe, Daphile was trying to change the permissions, but the drive file system somehow was preventing the change. I removed the drive and connected it to Windows 10. Under "properties", I noticed that the Security tab showed that "Users" did NOT have full control of the drive. Just System and Administrator.

I set all the user names to full control and full access. Windows 10 then changed all the permissions of all the folders in the entire drive.

Re-installed in Daphile machine and it now works as it should. The drive has a 'lock' on the actual drive name, but the individual folders are all accessible!!!!

Yes, NTFS introduces a set of problems. Well sorted.

Are you aware of any guides specifying the various settings in Daphile? I have looked a the FAQ and no real explanation on the settings.

My last issue right now is that I cannot get digital music sent via my HDMI to my pre/pro DAC. HDMI worked on windows and Daphile does identify HDMI as device HDMI 0 [hw:1,3]. Is this a driver issue?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
new Beta-release available:
2019-11-16 beta version 19.11-b161239 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes: - Option for alphabetical sorting order rules (selected lanuages) - LMS update to Nov 13th, 2019 Git version (5862496) - Kernel update to 4.19.84 and 4.19.84-rt30 (incl. some native DSD support additions) - Daphile compiled with GCC 9.2 - Some bug fixes, minor modifications and component updates

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

The server in my main system, which has worked like a charm for over 4 years, has recently started acting up. The server periodically emits “clicking” sounds, which is new, and afterwards Daphile reports that it cannot find the DAC. There have been no recent component changes to that music server. The DAC is a Schiit Bifrost Uber, and if I remove it and insert it into my second system, the Bifrost is immediately seen by Daphile in the second server. The Bifrost doesn’t seem to be the issue. The problem with the main system’s server is usually resolved by rebooting that server; once is usually enough, though sometimes two or three reboots are required.

Is this a common issue? If the advice is to replace the server’s motherboard, I’d love to hear any recommendations for less expensive, currently-available ITX boards.

For what it’s worth, that server’s motherboard has consistently reported temperatures around 41 to 43 C since it was installed, well within the board’s operating temperature range.

All useful advice appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

One more thing: when this problem arises, Daphile reports the length of the songs in the queue as 0.0 seconds. None of the songs in the queue can be played. I can trash the queue Daphile will usually allow me to play individual songs that I select, but if I select ‘Random Mix’ and then choose ‘Random Songs,’ each selection reports as having a 0.0 second length.

What gives?

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
And now, just 10 minutes later, the server won’t reboot. It tries to turn itself on and immediately shuts itself down. About 10 seconds later, it tries again and shuts down, in an apparently ceaseless loop, over and over.

Replace the motherboard, or is this a sign of something else (presumably short of the apocalypse)?

Regards.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Phofman:

Thanks for the guidance! I have two virtually-identical servers, both using "picoPSU" power supplies from mini-box.com. Swapping one power supply brick for another was easy. I did not swap out the DC-DC ATX PSU portion, however (I can do that tomorrow). The problem persists in my main server, where the issue originally occurred. So either the DC-DC ATX PSU or the motherboard?

Regards,
Scott