Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I am repurposing an old tranquil T7 server which had WHS on it to run it. I have upgraded the hard disk to a 500GB SSD. I was looking at a Centos install with LMS before I learned about Daphile.

My requirements for the server are:
- run LMS for 2 squeezebox devices and current 150GB music library
- automate daily backups for 2 household laptops

Does anyone have a Daphile install and also setup an unrelated backup system in parallel?

Any advice appreciated.
As always there is no definite answer, but "it depends". Although Daphile is a readonly O.S. (so usually you would run it as a one-off solution) I run it in a VirtualBox on a Debian-hosted system. The system I'm using not very powerful (a J1900 processor with 4GB memory and 128GB SSD), but for daily usage it's doing its job. The configuration is as follows:

- Debian Stretch with VirtualBox and Pi-hole (DNS and DHCP server), using Webmin as administration tool.
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server 1
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server 2
- one custom AntiX Virtual Machine

I'm not sure what kind of backup solution you think to use and what type of systems you want to backup, but you can search a Linux package that can do the backups you would like to make. Also, with Samba and some scripting you can build this yourself (but that requires quite some knowledge of linux)

Odd and most welcome behaviour.....:)

I have been ripping some of my LPs to cd quality and burning a cd for use in the physical player....(wifey knows how to work...;)...)

Of course there is no cddb lookup for lps that is not a pita.

However, hows this for an accidental kludge .... I was ripping some cds in Daphile and at the bottom of the pile was a recent lp rip...Jeff Beck-Truth... so just for fun tried that in the Daphile ripper....

It must have acoustic fingerprinting ! It not only found all the tracks but found the artwork too..... stunned.

Note that I had only trimmed the lead in and out on the lp rip so timings of tracks would be consistent...

Now to try some others... this may be the best kludge for lp album artwork I've found yet...:D

Hi all

Loving everything about Daphile so far. Even got access to my iTunes library through the Remote Music Libraries piece in the Audio Player Tab. Don't want to start any sort of debate but next step is to hook up a thin client in a second room. The main server I am using has a solid state drive. The thin client will be using an external USB hard disk drive (hopefully :)) Is there any difference between using a HDD instead of a SSD, apart from the read speed etc... ? I am not a computer guy so this question is possibly at dunce level for some of you lol

Hi all

Loving everything about Daphile so far. Even got access to my iTunes library through the Remote Music Libraries piece in the Audio Player Tab. Don't want to start any sort of debate but next step is to hook up a thin client in a second room. The main server I am using has a solid state drive. The thin client will be using an external USB hard disk drive (hopefully :)) Is there any difference between using a HDD instead of a SSD, apart from the read speed etc... ? I am not a computer guy so this question is possibly at dunce level for some of you lol

Why don't you network/wireless attach the thin client to the main system to save you having to replicate the music data?

Hi Triplefun

I would need to either get a WiFi extender or repeater of some sort. The second room I work in is not attached to the house. It is far enough away that my current WiFi drops out before I get there. Whilst it has power there is no phone line either. It is on a farm and approx 800m from the house. I have mobile phone coverage is there a way I could hot-spot using mobile data? Thanks again. Probably another easy way to do it but was going to install the non rt version on the thin client and use it as a server with a HDD with the music stored on that. Perhaps without WiFi it's not possible at all.

Hi Triplefun

I would need to either get a WiFi extender or repeater of some sort. The second room I work in is not attached to the house. It is far enough away that my current WiFi drops out before I get there. Whilst it has power there is no phone line either. It is on a farm and approx 800m from the house. I have mobile phone coverage is there a way I could hot-spot using mobile data? Thanks again. Probably another easy way to do it but was going to install the non rt version on the thin client and use it as a server with a HDD with the music stored on that. Perhaps without WiFi it's not possible at all.

As long as the 'room' is within line of sight of the main house you could always use a pair of TP Link CPE510 for a point to point wireless extension. There are lots of options on ebay. Would be cheaper and more effective than a hotspot,

As always there is no definite answer, but "it depends". Although Daphile is a readonly O.S. (so usually you would run it as a one-off solution) I run it in a VirtualBox on a Debian-hosted system. The system I'm using not very powerful (a J1900 processor with 4GB memory and 128GB SSD), but for daily usage it's doing its job. The configuration is as follows:

- Debian Stretch with VirtualBox and Pi-hole (DNS and DHCP server), using Webmin as administration tool.

I'm not sure what kind of backup solution you think to use and what type of systems you want to backup, but you can search a Linux package that can do the backups you would like to make. Also, with Samba and some scripting you can build this yourself (but that requires quite some knowledge of linux)

Thanks! I previously used windows software for backups alright. But the main thing is to do backups with Daphile I'm looking about running multiple VMs. I am thinking Vortexbox might suit my requirements now.

Thanks. My takeaway so is that since you can;t write to a Daphile install you need a bnch of VMs. It's looking like Vortexbox will be a better solution for me.

Daphile version 19.06 available (Beta and Stable)

I saw that Kipeta released a new version with the following updates:

2019-06-30 beta version 19.06-b301132 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:
- LMS update to Jun 26th, 2019 Git version (fb05c6a)
- Kernel update to 4.19.56 and 4.19.56-rt22
- Playback option to use live de-emphasis filter for tracks having
PRE-EMPHASIS metadata tag set
- CD ripping option to tag PRE-EMPHASIS metadata for identified tracks
- Experimental support for Google Music plugin removed (no test feedback)
- Option to disable optional CPU exploit mitigations (maximize performance;
requires GRUB2 boot loader).
- Daphile compiled with GCC 8.3
- Major component updates:
- Perl from 5.26 to 5.28 series
- Python from 2.7 to 3.6 series
- Samba from 4.8 to 4.10 series
- Glibc from 2.27 to 2.29
- Some bug fixes and minor modifications

Update can be done via the Daphile Browser page:

Settings -> System Firmware; press "Download and Install"; press "Save & Restart"

I saw that Kipeta released a new version with the following updates:

2019-06-30 beta version 19.06-b301132 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:
- LMS update to Jun 26th, 2019 Git version (fb05c6a)
- Kernel update to 4.19.56 and 4.19.56-rt22
- Playback option to use live de-emphasis filter for tracks having
PRE-EMPHASIS metadata tag set
- CD ripping option to tag PRE-EMPHASIS metadata for identified tracks
- Experimental support for Google Music plugin removed (no test feedback)
- Option to disable optional CPU exploit mitigations (maximize performance;
requires GRUB2 boot loader).
- Daphile compiled with GCC 8.3
- Major component updates:
- Perl from 5.26 to 5.28 series
- Python from 2.7 to 3.6 series
- Samba from 4.8 to 4.10 series
- Glibc from 2.27 to 2.29
- Some bug fixes and minor modifications

Update can be done via the Daphile Browser page:

Settings -> System Firmware; press "Download and Install"; press "Save & Restart"
Thks for the advice, has anyone updated this latest firmware and please report back any good and/or bad feedback on this firmware?

Thks for the advice, has anyone updated this latest firmware and please report back any good and/or bad feedback on this firmware?
I've updated my Virtual Machines and everything is working well. I can't tell you if this is also true for Bare-metal installations. My Daphile installs are only working as servers and not a players (I use piCoreplayer as player on a Raspberry-pi)

I've updated my Virtual Machines and everything is working well. I can't tell you if this is also true for Bare-metal installations. My Daphile installs are only working as servers and not a players (I use piCoreplayer as player on a Raspberry-pi)

I notice that v19.06 is only available as an upgrade rather than as a std. download ISO which is still 19.01. Why?