Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Using Daphile on two PCs with one as server and the other as client should work without any other protocols. It does for me.

I also used Daphile for a long time. Until recently I started to try Volumio. I will continue to try Moode & pCP and try to see which player's sound quality is more appealing to me.

However, in terms of current experience, stand-alone playback I think RPI's player has higher clarity and transparency, and the sound field is loose and natural, and listening to music is less stressful; however, if it is changed to Client-Server mode (Daphile machine is Server, another Win 10 PC with Squeezelite-X installed as a client to play music), the sound quality of the Daphile system is absolutely amazing, because you should never hear this high-quality sound on the CAS system.

Sincerely recommend fans who love music, you have the opportunity to play the full mode!

Hi, will I get a better sound by splitting the server and the Daphile player's role to two NUC? The server will be NUC 8i5 (4 cores) 16 GB RAM, 240 SSD and as a player NUC 5i3 8GB 240 SSD (2 cores, my current NUC on both rolls). Thank you for your advice

I'd be rather shocked if even a single NUC would use more than a small fraction of it's processing power running daphile.

Thank you for your feedback. I am interested in whether the division of server - player roles brings some sound progress. Even my current i3 / 8GB is fully sufficient to both roles, I do not resample FLAC to the DSD. DSD playing natively, WAV and FLAC resampling to 24/176 or 24/192.

I think the message is that if one machine can do it with only 1-2% load, two machines won't bring any benefit.

Hi all,

I have read a decent amount of the thread looking for the correct computer to run Daphile. My DAC supports up to 256dsd and 384pcm. I have noted people using everything from the HP slim client T5740 to NUC 5cphy to i3, i5 and even i7 7700 and everything in between. For WAF I would like something small. I can get a T5740 with these specs for free from work with an Atom N280 1.66GHz and 2GB Ram and 4GB flash memory. Or should I just get a laptop from work with an i3 or i5 and pay for it?

Thanks

if you want to upsample realtime to dsd256 then you need a 2.5ghz or faster 4 threads. DSD512 is a lot more demanding. Ideally cpu should run 50% or less. 4GB DDR4 RAM and 64GB SSD should suffice. Cheapest option is a secondhand notebook with i5 or i7 which you run with the lid closed. I assume your music is streamed from either a networked computer, NAS and tidal etc. Alternatively use a USB disk for local storage and maximum flexibility.

Also see AliExpress for a fanless mini computer. There are lots of options and form factors and a lot cheaper and quitter than an equivalent NUC. eg. Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Or see Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

There are lots of options, colours and form factors. You will need a keyboard, screen and mouse to do the initial setup. These can be removed once it is up and running.

Thanks Triplefun. Looking like a laptop from work will be the go. Yes I am using Tidal now with the Hifi subscription. A few years ago I had used Spotify Premium, iTunes and 1st generation NAD wireless USB DAC. Very uninspiring. I was introduced to Tidal last week and noticed Daphile in the Forums. I will sort a laptop and go from there. I do have a suitable i7 personal laptop but don't feel confident doing the drive partition route.

Thanks again

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all,

I have read a decent amount of the thread looking for the correct computer to run Daphile. My DAC supports up to 256dsd and 384pcm. I have noted people using everything from the HP slim client T5740 to NUC 5cphy to i3, i5 and even i7 7700 and everything in between. For WAF I would like something small. I can get a T5740 with these specs for free from work with an Atom N280 1.66GHz and 2GB Ram and 4GB flash memory. Or should I just get a laptop from work with an i3 or i5 and pay for it?

Thanks

I have Daphile on multiple machines, from a N2800 with 4GB of RAM, to a 8th gen Core i3 NUC. It runs fine on everything, the slower machines tend to have slower UI response and a bit of lag, and can't resample/etc, but otherwise work well enough.

Hi all,

Thanks

Well then do that and trial Daphile on your free HP slim client T5740... and if it is not sufficient you have other paid choices.

I use both a T5740 and an HP t520 thin client. The latter is more than adequate and serves well for cd ripping... the former is a useful player.
Daphile can be configured with a server and several players....the T5740 would be fine and dandy as a player... especially as yours would be FREE!:D

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks

I've been using the Ashrock J3455 fanless with great pleasure. 384K via USB or 192K via SPdif

Daphile hardware volume control

I installed a Volumio system on a Rasp Pi for a friend and was impressed with the facility to select hardware volume control on an AQ Dragonfly. Daphile doesn't advertise anything about volume control - it appears to be only software. Anybody know for sure how it works before I dig into the Linux stuff? Thank you!