Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi, I am a newbie to music streaming and networking scene.
After some hard works to setup a Daphile system, I used a cell phone as the remote to play music from a local usb drive last night. I was so excited and satisfied with the sound quality.
However, I run into a problem to catch my music files which are stored on WD My Cloud Home. WD My Cloud Home is a kind of personal cloud, not a NAS. I tried so hard to let Daphile to read form it, but it couldn’t.
I just wonder if it is possible to mount it as a network drive? And how to set the parameters?
Also I am thinking of another solution. Use LMS as the server on cell phone and the Daphile as a player. But, there seems no android version of LMS? Anyone can help me with? Thanks in advance.

Well, WD My Cloud Home is a proprietary solution which does not use/offer data through standard network filesystem protocols. If offers the Public section via smb How to mount My cloud hone on Linux - NAS & Devices - Plex Forum , but that is not where most user data are. Unless WD writes some linux way to access the data (which it will not), a linux device cannot access it.

My recommendation is stop using this closed solution for your data and get a standard NAS instead if you like your data and want to use systems which WD has not bothered to let access to its proprietary "solution".

LMS on android would mean rewriting the whole multiplatform (perl) LMS code to the android dalvik (Java). IMO the way would be running LMS on windows which I would expect offers the WD MCH files somehow in form of virtual filesystem (directories, files) for other apps to use.

Again, do not get your data voluntarily (they even charged you ) locked-up into these short-lived proprietary closed technologies.

Agreed... and that's possibly because it is aimed at mobile device use cases rather than administering LMS from a conventional PC desktop.
Horses for courses. :)

Correct. Material Skin is perfect used as a remote. Much better than squeezer or daphile webui when used on a small cellphone screen. For daphile settings or advanced server settings, daphile webui is perfect and still use it. Several skins can be used in parallel so no wories. I do not control daphile via desktop so I don't know which solution is better. Used solely as remote, I would still bet on material skin.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
WD My Cloud Home is a kind of personal cloud

This device requires internet access and cannot be mapped like a traditional network drive.

This means that read/write speeds are limited to that of the internet connection, not the LAN on which the device is connected.

Daphile cannot access this device on the network, nor can any of the other traditional LAN access methods.

This device requires internet access and cannot be mapped like a traditional network drive.

This means that read/write speeds are limited to that of the internet connection, not the LAN on which the device is connected.

Daphile cannot access this device on the network, nor can any of the other traditional LAN access methods.

I haven't tried it but you can install a squeeze cwntre client on mycloud which should be accessible by daphile ?

How to install the SqueezeCenter App on a My Cloud with firmware 2.21.126 or lower

"with firmware 2.21.126 or lower"

vs. WDMyCloud < 2.30.165 - Multiple Vulnerabilities

IMO this whole device is worth extracting the drive inside and building a simple NAS with FreeNAS or linux.

Agreed. I believe the internal drive of the 8tb device is actually a wed red helium drive. You need to be wary of the sata power connector to get it to work. Best to use a molex to sata power adapter.

"with firmware 2.21.126 or lower"

vs. WDMyCloud < 2.30.165 - Multiple Vulnerabilities

IMO this whole device is worth extracting the drive inside and building a simple NAS with FreeNAS or linux.

I've been using a 1st. Gen model for a few years now and it's been mostly decent. It's running the 4.xx firmware so those vulnerabilites are a non-issue. My biggest complaint is it doesn't have NFS OOTB. Apparently NFS can be added through some SSH work, but that's outside my skillset. Setting up for SMB was easy enough in Daphile, but the transfer speeds seem to be lacking compared to Windows. I haven't tried FTP or SSH connections to see if its any quicker.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I am poised to add a second SSD to my server. Are there any rules regarding naming conventions for a second local drive? In other words, should it have the same “Identification” name as the first drive, or is there anything else that I need to do to enable both SSDs to work properly together?

Regards,
Scott

I am poised to add a second SSD to my server. Are there any rules regarding naming conventions for a second local drive? In other words, should it have the same “Identification” name as the first drive, or is there anything else that I need to do to enable both SSDs to work properly together?
I couldn't find anything, but I would partition the whole drive as EXT4 as file ID as sdb2, install it in the box and see how it goes.

H,
I am registered to Spotify, 1st time I registered on the Spotify from Daphile it worked quite well, I was able to do music track search and displaced the tracks or albums, no problems there.
After logging off and sign on again I could NOT do any searching. Nothing displayed from the searching function, or what's new. However, I can still play(intermittently stops sometimes) from my playlist that has tracks from Spotify, what's wrong?
Even a restart does not help. Cannot do any searching or displace anything from Spotify.

Last edited:
H,
I am registered to Spotify, 1st time I registered on the Spotify from Daphile it worked quite well, I was able to do music track search and displaced the tracks or albums, no problems there.
After logging off and sign on again I could NOT do any searching. Nothing displayed from the searching function, or what's new. However, I can still play(intermittently stops sometimes) from my playlist that has tracks from Spotify, what's wrong?
Even a restart does not help. Cannot do any searching or displace anything from Spotify.

It works now..no respond is reqd.