Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Is there something I'm missing? Is there some way to edit and add artist and track info on that initial ripper screen? Any help would be much appreciated.
In a word, no.

PS - I just checked, and I can select "Unknown Artist" from the list of Album Artists and play the recording that way. Even though I'm more or less sure that I had deleted that folder using the file manager.
Every time there is an unknown artist, Daphile creates that folder. If you have a Windows computer, try MP3 Tag to edit the metadata.

Hi Tubeguy,
the ripping capability included into Daphile was programmed for original CD's, and those have already ID tag from factory. Advice: before to burn a new CD, your daughter must use an software to add tag info for all selected tracks (number of track, title, artist, year..etc). One suggestion is DB Power Amp (that is not for free), or other free tagging software at choice. Tagging is mandatory for building a healthy data-base in daphile. You cannot operate inside a database without tags, as it will be like trying to find an unknown chapter from an unknown book which sits on an unknown shelf :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

This may be off-topic, but I wasn't sure where else to ask the question. I have two servers, each with their own SSD, and an NAS device to which I copy everything. When I rip music, it is copied directly to my basement server (running Daphile). I then use Finder on an Apple MacBook Pro to copy the new albums to the second server and the NAS device. That way I have duplicate music libraries on both servers and a back-up on the NAS device.

I recently bought six CDs by Gary Clark Jr. (highly recommended, by the way). Those CDs were ripped to my basement server and they show up in Daphile under a directory titled "Gary Clark Jr", just as you would expect. I can listen to his music all day long on my basement server, should I so choose. Here's the weird thing: when I opened Finder on the MacBook Pro to copy those CDs to the second server and the NAS device, Finder did not find the "Gary Clark Jr" directory (and of course none of the CDs in that directory or subdirectories). Finder reports most if not all of the rest of my music library on that server; there may be other artists that Finder also does not report, but Gary Clark Jr. is the first that I have found (or not found).

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I cause Finder to "see" the missing directories on my basement server? I've had trouble with Daphile seeing files in the past, but this issue with the MacBook Pro is a first for me.

Regards,
Scott

Folks:

This may be off-topic, but I wasn't sure where else to ask the question. I have two servers, each with their own SSD, and an NAS device to which I copy everything. When I rip music, it is copied directly to my basement server (running Daphile). I then use Finder on an Apple MacBook Pro to copy the new albums to the second server and the NAS device. That way I have duplicate music libraries on both servers and a back-up on the NAS device.

I recently bought six CDs by Gary Clark Jr. (highly recommended, by the way). Those CDs were ripped to my basement server and they show up in Daphile under a directory titled "Gary Clark Jr", just as you would expect. I can listen to his music all day long on my basement server, should I so choose. Here's the weird thing: when I opened Finder on the MacBook Pro to copy those CDs to the second server and the NAS device, Finder did not find the "Gary Clark Jr" directory (and of course none of the CDs in that directory or subdirectories). Finder reports most if not all of the rest of my music library on that server; there may be other artists that Finder also does not report, but Gary Clark Jr. is the first that I have found (or not found).

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I cause Finder to "see" the missing directories on my basement server? I've had trouble with Daphile seeing files in the past, but this issue with the MacBook Pro is a first for me.

Regards,
Scott

Sounds liike an issue with sharing. Try going to Daphile storage settings and turn sharng off, restart daphile, turn sharing back on, and restart again.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Triplefun:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but that didn't solve the problem. Daphile still shows the Gary Clark Jr folder (and the CDs) but Finder doesn't see the Gary Clark Jr folder. Given that we have two Macs in the house and neither shows that folder, I suspect you're on to something. Might I need to refresh something on both Macs or is this more likely to be a Daphile-based issue?

Regards,
Scott

Triplefun:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but that didn't solve the problem. Daphile still shows the Gary Clark Jr folder (and the CDs) but Finder doesn't see the Gary Clark Jr folder. Given that we have two Macs in the house and neither shows that folder, I suspect you're on to something. Might I need to refresh something on both Macs or is this more likely to be a Daphile-based issue?

Regards,
Scott

Probably a Daphile / Linux/ AccurateRip issue. Is the gary c folder at the root level? Try using Daphile file manager to reposition the directory. Maybe even create a new directory and copy the ripped files to there?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Triplefun:

Success! Your suggestion worked out better than I had expected, and I learned that Daphile is more function-rich than I had understood. The next step is to go through all three databases to verify that there are no other missing artists, albums or music files.

Thank you,
Scott

Well all of the files are WAV for music , MP3 for Podcast, and MP4 for livemusicvideos or so from Youtube - i dont want to change that and convert - 8GB of data to another format i never used and non of my other players will play - if there were OGG or OPUS it would be perhaps an option because they sound better and are a bit smaller in size - but FLAC the Apple format why.

Well all of the files are WAV for music , MP3 for Podcast, and MP4 for livemusicvideos or so from Youtube - i dont want to change that and convert - 8GB of data to another format i never used and non of my other players will play - if there were OGG or OPUS it would be perhaps an option because they sound better and are a bit smaller in size - but FLAC the Apple format why.

*.wav is always lossless
*.flac is always lossless
*.m4a can be lossless or lossy, depending on the settings you used for conversion

There is no lossless format that soúnds any better than any other lossless format!
Lossless means, there is no signal data loss whatsoever when converting into lossless formats from conversion

By the way:
"youtube-dl" is available for Linux and Win and provides direct *.flac support.
youtube-dl

Last edited: