Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

First of all I would like to thank the developer of Daphile for the hard work involved into making this happen.

I originally gravitated to the Squeezebox family of products in 2006, and then as computer/USB audio improved I moved to a small computer running Foobar2000.

However, the netbook I am using is now 9 years old and based on a primitive ATOM processor. It still does an admirable job with memory and hard drive upgrades and it can handle DSD and DXD files quite well. It cannot do any upsampling of course, but not bad for bit perfect playback.

Foobar2000 does exhibit some kind of occasional white noise glitch when switching from PCM to DSD. I don't know if it's related to the low processor power or the program itself, but in two years since I got my Amanero based DAC, I have not been able to get rid of it.

Therefore, I am looking to upgrade to a headless NUC running Daphile. I like the simplicity of the Daphile approach. I am not a fan of experimenting with multiple ASIO/WASAPI drivers or audio filters. I also would like to try upsampling to either DSD256 or DSD512 in the near future.

I am thinking about going for the latest NUC8I7BEH "Bean Canyon" NUC. Or perhaps the i5 version, but the potential loud fan scares me a bit. It may also be overkill to play bit perfect audio but I also want to have the horsepower on hand for future updates.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

passiver mini-pc - Modellubersicht - cirrus7 nimbini

These computers are 100% passive cooled and make no sound
and they also look very nice I think :)

499 euros for an i3 4GB RAM and no HDD... hmmm... quite over the top for a DAPHILE computer methinks...

Agreed.....
a couple of three weeks ago bought 2 non-functioning laptops...(i3s-12GB ram-no Hard-drives) for $10 for both (US dollar equivalent) one had broken screen and duff keyboard.
Stripped, cleaned, de-fluffed ;) and reapplied thermal paste.....
Then amalgamated parts to build a working laptop (i3-8GB) and a headless Daphile player ...(i3-4GB).
Added 500GB HD for $10 US...

So a Daphile player for $15 US vs euro 499 for the same performance...:santa3:

Last edited:
I think a Daphile client can access a Daphile server, that is, the client accesses the stored music on the server. Which client do you have?
I have done this with another installation of Daphile and it works well. The problem is Daphile has to be installed on hdd and takes over the whole of the pc.
Can you recommend anything to use as a client, preferably on linux that will play from the server.

I have done this with another installation of Daphile and it works well. The problem is Daphile has to be installed on hdd and takes over the whole of the pc.
Can you recommend anything to use as a client, preferably on linux that will play from the server.
Why not use a low power single board x86 (eg Jaguarboard) with a low capacity SSD of 8 to 16 G (which are very cheap)? My Daphile installation is an old PC from the tip with a 16G SSD and all music on a NAS, which would be analogous to yours.

I just upgraded to the latest version after waiting a couple of months while any bugs were sorted. Result. My daphile has bricked itself. After not missing a beat for over 12 months I'm a bit pissed off. The SSD Daphile is installed on doesn't even boot up anymore.

Any ideas?

Does the ssd show up in the bios. Have you tried a fresh install from USB?

Why not use a low power single board x86 (eg Jaguarboard) with a low capacity SSD of 8 to 16 G (which are very cheap)? My Daphile installation is an old PC from the tip with a 16G SSD and all music on a NAS, which would be analogous to yours.
The idea is really to play music from my main Daphile server but on my laptop and playing on my laptop. I can then use the laptop to do other things and also listen to music anywhere on my network. I can do almost this with a second Daphile but cant do anything else.

Could you expand a bit. I installed squeezelite but cant find any entry for it in xenialpup.
I can go to the ip address of daphile server with browser but that will only play through daphile which is remote to the laptop.

Start with "squeezelite -l", that shows you the available sound interfaces. You should be OK with "default". so start squeezelite with "squeezelite -o 'default' -s ADDRESS-OF-YOUR-SERVER -n laptop -z". Once it is running, the web page should show "laptop" as one of the two choices in the pull-down menu in the upper right corner - select that, and select something to play.

Start with "squeezelite -l", that shows you the available sound interfaces. You should be OK with "default". so start squeezelite with "squeezelite -o 'default' -s ADDRESS-OF-YOUR-SERVER -n laptop -z". Once it is running, the web page should show "laptop" as one of the two choices in the pull-down menu in the upper right corner - select that, and select something to play.
I am a total beginner with terminal so is there any you could give me something to copy to input into terminal, I will change to ip address of server.
Sorry but I am learning, but slowly.