Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

As you say, overkill. For just audio, less powerful CPUs (that don't need fans) do just fine. Most "high-end" streamers have low-end ARM processors.

Which may explain why my lowly Acer Netbook from 2009 still delivers the goods. If it wasn't for the nasty glitch (loud HF noise) happening ocassionally on mixed PCM-DSD playlists, I would have no need to upgrade.

Although I do miss LMS's web interface and more advanced library management features, which Daphile has admirable perfected.

First of all I would like to thank the developer of Daphile for the hard work involved into making this happen.

I originally gravitated to the Squeezebox family of products in 2006, and then as computer/USB audio improved I moved to a small computer running Foobar2000.

However, the netbook I am using is now 9 years old and based on a primitive ATOM processor. It still does an admirable job with memory and hard drive upgrades and it can handle DSD and DXD files quite well. It cannot do any upsampling of course, but not bad for bit perfect playback.

Foobar2000 does exhibit some kind of occasional white noise glitch when switching from PCM to DSD. I don't know if it's related to the low processor power or the program itself, but in two years since I got my Amanero based DAC, I have not been able to get rid of it.

Therefore, I am looking to upgrade to a headless NUC running Daphile. I like the simplicity of the Daphile approach. I am not a fan of experimenting with multiple ASIO/WASAPI drivers or audio filters. I also would like to try upsampling to either DSD256 or DSD512 in the near future.

I am thinking about going for the latest NUC8I7BEH "Bean Canyon" NUC. Or perhaps the i5 version, but the potential loud fan scares me a bit. It may also be overkill to play bit perfect audio but I also want to have the horsepower on hand for future updates.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The CPU power all depends on how far you want to take DSD upsampling. Also a lot depends on the capabilities of the DAC although there is now an increasing of excellent DSD512 capable DACs from the likes of Topping and SMSL (just add a decent power supply).

I find Tidal upsampled to DSD256 a big improvement over standard Tidal (easily achieved in Daphile). Likewise with MP3 320. The NUC you are considering will support DSD128 upsampling but may struggle with DSD256 and will not support DSD512. I have had a lot of success with an i5 8600 and ASUS B310i-PLUS mobo. I suggest you get 8GB RAM (single stick), 128GB M.2 SSD, a slim ITX chassis (eg Silverstone Milo ML03, SFX PSU (eg Corsair SF450 - great DC power with limited use of the fan) and Noctua NH L9i or Zalman CNPS8900 cooler.

@ crooner
Any thoughts ?

How about retaining your existing hardware or , as Julf points out, using a low-end ARM device and hand off the upsampling to a dedicated board...
These will allow you to upsample everything to DSD256...

AK4137 I2S/DSD Sample Rate Conversion Board Supports PCM/DSD Interconversion DOP | eBay

HIFI AK4137 DAC SRC flagship high-end audio 786K 32Bit DSD256 DSD IIS conversion | eBay

If using USB out you'll need an xmos/amanero to I2S or if using a SBC then most have direct I2S.

Last edited:
@ crooner

How about retaining your existing hardware or , as Julf points out, using a low-end ARM device and hand off the upsampling to a dedicated board...
These will allow you to upsample everything to DSD256...

AK4137 I2S/DSD Sample Rate Conversion Board Supports PCM/DSD Interconversion DOP | eBay

HIFI AK4137 DAC SRC flagship high-end audio 786K 32Bit DSD256 DSD IIS conversion | eBay

If using USB out you'll need an xmos/amanero to I2S or if using a SBC then most have direct I2S.

Excellent suggestions. I must say my present hardware sounds pretty damn good as it is. I switched from the ASIO to the WASAPI DSD driver on Foobar2000 and so far the glitch is gone. It does shave a second or so of sound from the beginning of the file, but it's better than the loud outburst of white noise.

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't been keeping current with the discussions, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Has anyone tried installing on an x86 tablet? My thoughts are to install it on a windows based tablet (an inexpensive one) and try installing daphile, wiping out the windows os.

I realize the tablet won't provide hi quality audio, but it is convenient for headphones to supplement my existing daphile installations.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't been keeping current with the discussions, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Has anyone tried installing on an x86 tablet? My thoughts are to install it on a windows based tablet (an inexpensive one) and try installing daphile, wiping out the windows os.

I realize the tablet won't provide hi quality audio, but it is convenient for headphones to supplement my existing daphile installations.

This won't work since you need a browser.

I think the Daphile-road won't do what you would like to accomplish, but perhaps this will: [Announce] Squeezelite-X

Daphile and DSD files with Serenade tempotec DSD DAC

Hello All,

If you remember, I had trouble when listening to DSD files (native mode) using Serenade TempoTec DSD DAC.

I finally found that appropriate Daphile setting fixes the problem.

These settings are attached to this post.
It could help other Daphile users with the same configuration.

To explain a little bit, I set the decoder to 'DISABLED in 'advanced parameters' for the 'files types' dsf and dff.

And Daphile seems reading and playing DSD in Native mode with this Dac, according the informations displayed on Daphile screen during the listening.

As I don't understand why these settings are relevant in this case, any explanation would be welcomed.

Best regards
And many thanks for having helping me

Attachments

• Daphile DSD settings.doc
    169 KB · Views: 167
Daphile and USB cable connection...

Don't worry, no intention from me to bring back the old troll in this interesting thread...
Just my own experience and a quick and cheap solution that, could be helpful.
I use Daphile since 2014 with a cheap server : BRIX GB-BXBT-2807 (4Go RAM and a 60Go SSD) and a more expensive DAC Teac UD-501.
I really like the sound quality, easiness, etc... of Daphile but I suffer aleatory disconnects that oblige me to a quick switch off/switch on of the DAC.
During all these years I randomly investigate : Brix' bios, TEAC 501 proprietary firmware, Daphile updates... nothing works ! :(
In last resort I decide to change the BRIX for a different server. Disassembling the installation I see that I was using a 2 meters long cheap standard USB cable. I decide to give my setup up a last chance and I order a shorter USB cable with gold plated connectors : USB cable.
This 15 € investment definitively solve my 5 years old problem and now I can listen 10 hours playlist without frustrating disconnect. :)
That's all !

Disassembling the installation I see that I was using a 2 meters long cheap standard USB cable. I decide to give my setup up a last chance and I order a shorter USB cable with gold plated connectors : USB cable.
This 15 € investment definitively solve my 5 years old problem and now I can listen 10 hours playlist without frustrating disconnect. :)

Yes, cables definitely make a difference. Some work, some don't. When they don't work, you get stuff like what you describe - disconnects and malfunctions. Not subtle alterations to the sound.