Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Thanks for the hard work on Daphile! I love it.
Many of my FLACs don't have meta data.
Is there any way to configure Daphile to display the folder and file names?
I've got 88 songs in "No Album", "No Artist".
There are many albums that I can only find by looking in Music Folder.
Thanks! Mack

I would recommend to fix the metadata tags for those files and rescan. There exists many free tag editors (eg. Musicbrainz Picard).

It's also possible to help "media server" to interpret folder and file names as metada by configuring the settings at "Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced -> Formating -> Guess Tags Formats".

Same thing happened to me today, with the additional twist that, after checking a few settings to verify that they were as I remembered them, I hit "save and restart" and the computer hung up after powering up and would not restart Daphile. Eventually, I discovered that it would start Daphile if I unplugged my external drive. (On a different computer, it would hang up and not start Daphile if I had my USB dac plugged in.) I guess if I get it up and running with the right settings, I could just leave it on 24/7, but that seems somewhat profligate with the use of electricity.

By the way, Randy, if you had poked around sufficiently quickly, you may have found, as I did, that there was a rescan going on, which was deleting all of the music from the library. - Pat

I would recommend to disable "Graphics driver: Enable Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) drivers" setting in "General"-section in case of any freeze, hang or start-up problems.

Hello! I'm starting using the X64 Daphile in these days, as I sold my thin client with an ultra-optimized VoyageMPD.
I can really say it's a good distro, very easy to install and mantain. (Too) Many distros are now only ARM based, nice to see a well done X86/X64 based one!
I'm using and E350 based on multiboot (Linux Mint / OpenELEC from HD and Daphile from and OLD 512Mb USB key), AudioGD DI-V3 + Beresford BushMaster.
I'll try soon the Joro/JLSounds AKM4396 combo DAC as soon as possible, since is plays DSD files.

Hi Randy,

Been trying to solve this problem for a while now but no answers. I posted issue on Windows 7 forum but am unsure it issue is windows or Linux and since I cannot access kernel of daphile to issue command line commands I cannot test. Can you look at the post:
Trouble Accessing Windows Shares From Unix(FreeNAS) and Linux(Daphile) - Windows 7 Help Forums

And let me know if you have any ideas around issues raised regarding networking and attaching windows file shares to Daphile and also why I can only attach NAS by IP address rather than hostname?

You seem pretty knowledgeable on Daphile.

Not really, I know just enough to be dangerous. I have been playing with Linux lately for a file server using a pogoplug.

And I have been using IP addresses for sharing and not hostnames myself, so can't really help you there.

And I have not done any windows file sharing, just linux and mac

I hope Kipeta was able to help you.

Randy

Holy GPL violation batman!

You can not take GPLv2 protected software and remove the license (the only thing that allows you to use that software in the first place)!

As per the GPLv2 GNU General Public License v2.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation :

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

New release available!

CHANGES on July 21st 2014:
  • DRM/KMS graphics drivers are now disabled by default. The enabling must be confirmed after "Save & Restart" in order to verify that system operates properly. It's recommended that you enable them only if you need them for HDMI audio or they solve some other problem.
  • Web UI Audio Player view improvements (not supported in touch devices), eg. resize playlist panel and drag & drop reordering of playlist.
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.6
  • ALSA buffer time (320ms->100ms) and period count (6->3) defaults changed again for better generic compatibility
  • Some package updates, other minor changes and bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Licenses haven't been removed. Please check the "Credits" at "Info"-tab.

Just having licenses for each component does not mean you are abiding by the GPL, you also have to license the distro under the GPL.
That means making available the source code of what you built the distro from (including any programs that are statically and/or dynamically linked against any GPLv2 code) and make people aware of that fact (as per the part of the GPLv2 I quoted).

The only thing you do not have to give the code to is any programs that do not link against GPL code.

Just having licenses for each component does not mean you are abiding by the GPL, you also have to license the distro under the GPL.
That means making available the source code of what you built the distro from (including any programs that are statically and/or dynamically linked against any GPLv2 code) and make people aware of that fact (as per the part of the GPLv2 I quoted).

The only thing you do not have to give the code to is any programs that do not link against GPL code.
You are right that I need to add an explicit "written offer" about the source code availability for the GPL and LGPL licensed code. I'll add it soon. However the whole distribution cannot be licensed under a single generic license agreement, eg. GPL.

I would recommend to fix the metadata tags for those files and rescan. There exists many free tag editors (eg. Musicbrainz Picard).

It's also possible to help "media server" to interpret folder and file names as metada by configuring the settings at "Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced -> Formating -> Guess Tags Formats".

Yay! thanks Kipeta. I only have 4 "No Artist - 01" etc in my No Album list now.

I used "/ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKNUM-TITLE"

Thanks, Mack

Media server indexer crash

First of all, thank you Kipeta for a wonderful idea & concept!

I do have some problems, though, and they concern the media indexer. It's been mentioned before: it's not very fault-tolerant. Apparently, it stumbles over music files that have tags that the indexer can't handle. The problem is, it will halt at those files and runs around in a loop (i.e. the indexer and the media server crashes). Daphile won't play any files while the indexer is busy so in this case Daphile becomes useless.

The media server configuration pages can't be opened anymore at this point. Aborting the media server doesn't work either (so no access to the log files to hunt down the culprit!).

Rebooting etc. doesn't help as the media server indexer will resume its loop immediately upon (re)starting. So Daphile is now unusable. Only a fresh install (or live USB stick) can revive it but then the whole thing starts all over: a vicious circle. :eek:

A suggestion would be to have an option to "hard-kill" the media server (or just the indexer) process (pid) so that Daphile can continue (without the server and/or indexer active) and the log file can be retrieved somehow (not through the media server configuration pages as they won't display anymore).

Thanks in advance!
Marcie

First of all, thank you Kipeta for a wonderful idea & concept!

I do have some problems, though, and they concern the media indexer. It's been mentioned before: it's not very fault-tolerant. Apparently, it stumbles over music files that have tags that the indexer can't handle. The problem is, it will halt at those files and runs around in a loop (i.e. the indexer and the media server crashes). Daphile won't play any files while the indexer is busy so in this case Daphile becomes useless.

The media server configuration pages can't be opened anymore at this point. Aborting the media server doesn't work either (so no access to the log files to hunt down the culprit!).

Rebooting etc. doesn't help as the media server indexer will resume its loop immediately upon (re)starting. So Daphile is now unusable. Only a fresh install (or live USB stick) can revive it but then the whole thing starts all over: a vicious circle. :eek:

A suggestion would be to have an option to "hard-kill" the media server (or just the indexer) process (pid) so that Daphile can continue (without the server and/or indexer active) and the log file can be retrieved somehow (not through the media server configuration pages as they won't display anymore).

Thanks in advance!
Marcie

Thanks for your feedback and good idea. Actually I had thought about something like but never bothered to implement it. I'll try to have some kind of solution in future.

BTW. Many Media Server crashes happen when one tries to use unetbootin installed "Live" Daphile USB with large music library. In this case the space runs out from the DaphileData storage and that causes the crash (and vicious loop). "Live" Daphile reserves only 128MB by default for the internal databases (can be increased with unetbootin "Space used to preserve..." option).

Vicious loop media server/indexer

BTW. Many Media Server crashes happen when one tries to use unetbootin installed "Live" Daphile USB with large music library. In this case the space runs out from the DaphileData storage and that causes the crash (and vicious loop). "Live" Daphile reserves only 128MB by default for the internal databases (can be increased with unetbootin "Space used to preserve..." option).

Thanks for your reply. I did actually notice that it had only 128MB for the internal database and was wondering if that could be the cause. I have several TB's worth of files (mostly studio archives in all sorts of resolutions); however, at the last crash I was able to retrieve the scanner log file and it appeared that the indexer had finished and the media server crashed at the precaching stage. I will increase the "space used to preserve..." and see what happens. I will let you know.
Cheers, marcie

Vicious loop media server/indexer

Thanks for your reply. I did actually notice that it had only 128MB for the internal database and was wondering if that could be the cause. I have several TB's worth of files (mostly studio archives in all sorts of resolutions); however, at the last crash I was able to retrieve the scanner log file and it appeared that the indexer had finished and the media server crashed at the precaching stage. I will increase the "space used to preserve..." and see what happens. I will let you know.
Cheers, marcie

Ok, that did it! I increased "space used to preserve" to 4096MB (yeah, I don't like baby steps :p), and it sailed through >20,000 music files (about 30% of the library) without a hitch. Mind, it took unetbootin more than 15 minutes to prepare the 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB drive! Anyway, later on I will add the remaining 70% to the librarty, and, when I have the time I will decrease the 4GB to something more sane if possible.

Now, the only other problem so far is that Daphile (and the media server) does recognize .dff files (DSD) but can't transcode DST compressed files. I will try later with native mode on a DSD capable USB DAC. The advantage of DST compression with DSD is that it can save about 50% storage space. However, DST takes quite a toll on CPU load; weaker/older CPUs might buckle causing dropouts and stuttering.

A display line in the music player showing native (Bitperfect) and transcoding modes would be much appreciated!

Thanks, marcie

Daphile on Pentium 4

After trying out daphile on a Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Asus system, I decided to try it out on an old Pentium 4 system (P4/3.2GHz). It is a HTPC sort of machine with non-standard KLOSS mainboard, badged Dreamsys, and a C-media CMI9880 audio chip (a high-end chip way back when, with native 24bit/192KHz ADC and DAC).

daphile (32-bit) worked fine straight away, but alas, no sound. Trying out a lot of settings incl. alsa did not help. Furthermore, the system did not give any indication that something was wrong, the music player indicated that songs were playing but no sound at all.

I then switched player from Squeezelite to SqueezePlay, reboot, and hey presto, there was sound! All the way up from 16bit/44.1KHz to 24bit/192KHz excepting multiples of 44.1KHz (i.e. 88.2 & 176.4). Hence, the audio driver (or player?) does not seem to check the different sampling rates supported by the on-board DAC and transcode accordingly. OTOH, the CMI9880 is a quirky chip; I remember all sorts of problems with it under Windows at the time, requiring a number of driver updates and none was completely glitch-free.

Running at 2.4GHz, this system played without any dropouts or other problems even at the highest bit/sampling rates. Sound quality was very good with this system.

Anyway, trying this was just for fun. I have a few old laptops (>15 years) that I will be trying next.

I know Daphile runs headless though it frustrates me to have to use two laptops to play files from one.
No wireless here so wired connections and cables accross the floor from adjoining rooms don't have much WAF..:)

Anyone tried Daphile in a virtual machine using the host as the controller...? Would that even work...?
Any guidance would be most welcome..

First thank you for this wonderful piece of software.

My old config was foobar 2000, a audiofile 24/96 soundcard with a 10m long spdif cable, and that gave me some problems on higher sampling rates. And now I almost finished my ES9018 DAC and did not want to use a 10M usb cable so I switched from foobar2000 to Daphile.

I use a Dell optiplex FX160 with a 8G CF card 4G of ram and a Gigabit Ethernet connection. My server is a Dell R5400 workstation.

I uses the build in web server but it's slow going. The Atom cpu in the FX160 Isn't a speed demon, but this is really slow, a lot of waiting for it to read the directory structure of my music collection. (can you cache the file structure?)

I have read multiple times that you are suppose to use a external application to control Daphile, however the one's I find are old and development stopped around 2010.

Can you point me to a fast, full screen, still developed, windows app to control Daphil? And would that be any faster?

The playback is really good!

Regards Sebastian

I know Daphile runs headless though it frustrates me to have to use two laptops to play files from one.
No wireless here so wired connections and cables accross the floor from adjoining rooms don't have much WAF..:)

You might try having Daphile generate its own little local wireless network and then control it from a cheap Android tablet app. Might help with the WAF.

You might try having Daphile generate its own little local wireless network and then control it from a cheap Android tablet app. Might help with the WAF.

Except that would be a wireless solution would it not...? ;)
No wireless here so wired connections and cables accross the floor from adjoining rooms don't have much WAF..

Looking for a local solution that involves 1 (one) device only.

One that William of Ockham and his 'whisker reduction device' would approve of...:)