Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Call for testers!

Daphile is an audiophile class music server & player OS – targeted to dedicated headless PC.

Features

• Headless music server OS
  • Bitperfect and gapless playback of common audio formats up to 192kHz/24bit
  • Automatic configuration of music player for each audio device
  • Multiplayer support (eg. multiple USB DACs)
  • CD ripping with automatic metadata tagging and cover art
  • Supports external file servers as music source (CIFS, NFS, sshfs & ftp)
  • Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
  • WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
  • Software update via web interface
  • Whole system image ISO-file is below 200MB
Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux.

Get more info and downloads at www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hi there!

It is very interesting. I would test it right away but on a headless ARM Device! Would it be possible to make an image or repository for Devices like Seagate DOckstar/GoFlex Net and other devices based on this ARM architecture?

Do you have any documentation about this Project? What are you usin as OS? Debian?
Thanks in advance.

Ron!

Hi,

Current focus is on 64bit x86 hardware. I think the fanless Atom boards are great for this purpose.

This is not directly based on any existing distribution. This is more like an embedded system image that is compiled in Gentoo environment. I try to update the web pages in near future to provide more info.

Thanks for the interest.

What are the requirements in terms of hardware? OS?

It's currently available only for 64bit x86 processors. I would guess that 512MB-1GB memory would be enough. I have run it in VMPlayer with just 256MB memory. Hard disk is not required. You can run it perfectly fine from 2GB USB Flash Drive.

I would recommend something like Atom N2600 (with 1GB RAM or maybe 2GB). It's really low power CPU. I have used by myself the Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B which is very nice fanless barebone and its Wifi module supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

Daphile is based on Linux but it does not require any Linux skills because everything is supposed to be done through the web interface.

I would really want this to see running on ARM devices like Seagate Dockstar or Goflex Net... These devices are really screaming to be used as Audiophile , Really low power (about 2Watt) Music player / streamer..

I am now using my Dockstar with mpd, rompr as WebUI and MPDroid as ANdroid Client! ..

Your solution with all the CD Ripping, Cover and MP3 Tagging and the WebUI itself look much more convenient! This would really rock!

I will look into porting this to the Dockstar/ Goflex Net!

I will test your Image on virtualbox. Thanks for your work!

I am rather new to PC audio so excuse my beginners questions...

I have Daphile running from a USB-stick and find it to be very user friendly with good access and menus.
I look forward to testing it further once I have debugged some network problems.

Currently it won't connect via my wired modem/router and so no external access for radio :(
If I plug the Daphile pc, and another pc, into a wired switch I can sometimes connect but this appears to be random as to the method.
Using Ubuntu I can connect once only by either web link or network browsing but if I then disconnect to run headless I cannot every reconnect without rebooting the Daphile server.

...and the basic question... how do I shutdown the Daphile server short of holding in the power button..?
Maybe I am missing something in the menus but some shutdown and connection instructions would be useful within the interface.

Perhaps I am going do-lally as I can now not find an edit button for my previous post...???
So, have got network working through router/modem and can get radio streams (well mostly, lots of 'chipmunks'...? what gives there. Others appear when selected but no output. )
Still looking for 'Shutdown'...:)

Very impressive effort, congratulations and I look forward to future releases.

If I plug the Daphile pc, and another pc, into a wired switch I can sometimes connect but this appears to be random as to the method.
Using Ubuntu I can connect once only by either web link or network browsing but if I then disconnect to run headless I cannot every reconnect without rebooting the Daphile server.

try to access using ip like (for example: http://192.168.1.XX) You can find the ip in the router interface under dhcp leases

Again another test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 9th 2013:
  • BUG FIX for network manager. The bug had previously prevented the operation of some ethernet and wireless adapters (thanks to Luca N. for reporting the problem).
  • Ethernet MAC address and Wake-on-LAN support reported at Info page (WOL is enabled if HW and BIOS setup supports it)
  • Some other minor changes

Hi there Kipeta!

I tested the Daphile in a VM and I am really impressed regarding the Design and homogenous feeling of your distribution.

I would really want to see this running on ARM Devices like Dockstar/GoFlex Net or RaspberryPi.

Is there a sourcecode available so someone like me can try to get this working on mentioned ARM devices?

Man I wish I could make such great looking WebInterfaces with so much features.

One suggestion I have: I missed the feature to rearrange the Songs in the Playlist by simply drag and drop it to desired place.

ANd is there any tutorial or resource you could recommend into getting creating such Distribution and WebUI like daphile has?

Thank you in advance!
Ron

Hi there Kipeta!

I tested the Daphile in a VM and I am really impressed regarding the Design and homogenous feeling of your distribution.

I would really want to see this running on ARM Devices like Dockstar/GoFlex Net or RaspberryPi.

Is there a sourcecode available so someone like me can try to get this working on mentioned ARM devices?

Man I wish I could make such great looking WebInterfaces with so much features.

One suggestion I have: I missed the feature to rearrange the Songs in the Playlist by simply drag and drop it to desired place.

ANd is there any tutorial or resource you could recommend into getting creating such Distribution and WebUI like daphile has?

Thank you in advance!
Ron

Thanks for your feedback.

As I wrote earlier I will currently focus on 64bit x86 platform. I don't want split my limited effort into multiple platforms at least until the main features are implemented. Daphile is mostly based on open source (about 200 different packages). Everything that I have contributed by myself is proprietary and closed source.

I'll keep your suggestion related to playlist rearrangement in the list of feature requests.

Sorry but I don't have any particular tutorial on my mind that I could recommend. I'm by myself self-learned by googling.

I am currently betwenn addresses at the moment so I can not try it outto see for myself but I have a question.

I use a 64bit Win8 Dell running foobar and have all my music on a mirrored NAS. Will this stream the files from a NAS or does the stroage have to be directly attached?

Thank you in advance,