Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS
Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2014, 11:45 PM   #551
Marcie2 is offline Marcie2
diyAudio Member

Default Media server indexer crash

First of all, thank you Kipeta for a wonderful idea & concept!

I do have some problems, though, and they concern the media indexer. It's been mentioned before: it's not very fault-tolerant. Apparently, it stumbles over music files that have tags that the indexer can't handle. The problem is, it will halt at those files and runs around in a loop (i.e. the indexer and the media server crashes). Daphile won't play any files while the indexer is busy so in this case Daphile becomes useless.

The media server configuration pages can't be opened anymore at this point. Aborting the media server doesn't work either (so no access to the log files to hunt down the culprit!).

Rebooting etc. doesn't help as the media server indexer will resume its loop immediately upon (re)starting. So Daphile is now unusable. Only a fresh install (or live USB stick) can revive it but then the whole thing starts all over: a vicious circle.

A suggestion would be to have an option to "hard-kill" the media server (or just the indexer) process (pid) so that Daphile can continue (without the server and/or indexer active) and the log file can be retrieved somehow (not through the media server configuration pages as they won't display anymore).

Thanks in advance!
Marcie
Old 30th July 2014, 11:09 AM   #552
Kipeta is offline Kipeta  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie2 View Post
First of all, thank you Kipeta for a wonderful idea & concept!

I do have some problems, though, and they concern the media indexer. It's been mentioned before: it's not very fault-tolerant. Apparently, it stumbles over music files that have tags that the indexer can't handle. The problem is, it will halt at those files and runs around in a loop (i.e. the indexer and the media server crashes). Daphile won't play any files while the indexer is busy so in this case Daphile becomes useless.

The media server configuration pages can't be opened anymore at this point. Aborting the media server doesn't work either (so no access to the log files to hunt down the culprit!).

Rebooting etc. doesn't help as the media server indexer will resume its loop immediately upon (re)starting. So Daphile is now unusable. Only a fresh install (or live USB stick) can revive it but then the whole thing starts all over: a vicious circle.

A suggestion would be to have an option to "hard-kill" the media server (or just the indexer) process (pid) so that Daphile can continue (without the server and/or indexer active) and the log file can be retrieved somehow (not through the media server configuration pages as they won't display anymore).

Thanks in advance!
Marcie
Thanks for your feedback and good idea. Actually I had thought about something like but never bothered to implement it. I'll try to have some kind of solution in future.

BTW. Many Media Server crashes happen when one tries to use unetbootin installed "Live" Daphile USB with large music library. In this case the space runs out from the DaphileData storage and that causes the crash (and vicious loop). "Live" Daphile reserves only 128MB by default for the internal databases (can be increased with unetbootin "Space used to preserve..." option).
Old 30th July 2014, 12:49 PM   #553
diyAudio Member

Default Vicious loop media server/indexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipeta View Post
BTW. Many Media Server crashes happen when one tries to use unetbootin installed "Live" Daphile USB with large music library. In this case the space runs out from the DaphileData storage and that causes the crash (and vicious loop). "Live" Daphile reserves only 128MB by default for the internal databases (can be increased with unetbootin "Space used to preserve..." option).
Thanks for your reply. I did actually notice that it had only 128MB for the internal database and was wondering if that could be the cause. I have several TB's worth of files (mostly studio archives in all sorts of resolutions); however, at the last crash I was able to retrieve the scanner log file and it appeared that the indexer had finished and the media server crashed at the precaching stage. I will increase the "space used to preserve..." and see what happens. I will let you know.
Cheers, marcie
Old 30th July 2014, 01:10 PM   #554
Flikoman is offline Flikoman  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Marcie2,

I had the same problem and increasing DaphileData partition solved my problem! It should work for you to.
Old 30th July 2014, 04:39 PM   #555
diyAudio Member

Default Vicious loop media server/indexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie2 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I did actually notice that it had only 128MB for the internal database and was wondering if that could be the cause. I have several TB's worth of files (mostly studio archives in all sorts of resolutions); however, at the last crash I was able to retrieve the scanner log file and it appeared that the indexer had finished and the media server crashed at the precaching stage. I will increase the "space used to preserve..." and see what happens. I will let you know.
Cheers, marcie
Ok, that did it! I increased "space used to preserve" to 4096MB (yeah, I don't like baby steps ), and it sailed through >20,000 music files (about 30% of the library) without a hitch. Mind, it took unetbootin more than 15 minutes to prepare the 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer USB drive! Anyway, later on I will add the remaining 70% to the librarty, and, when I have the time I will decrease the 4GB to something more sane if possible.

Now, the only other problem so far is that Daphile (and the media server) does recognize .dff files (DSD) but can't transcode DST compressed files. I will try later with native mode on a DSD capable USB DAC. The advantage of DST compression with DSD is that it can save about 50% storage space. However, DST takes quite a toll on CPU load; weaker/older CPUs might buckle causing dropouts and stuttering.

A display line in the music player showing native (Bitperfect) and transcoding modes would be much appreciated!

Thanks, marcie
Old 30th July 2014, 11:26 PM   #556
diyAudio Member

Default Daphile on Pentium 4

After trying out daphile on a Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Asus system, I decided to try it out on an old Pentium 4 system (P4/3.2GHz). It is a HTPC sort of machine with non-standard KLOSS mainboard, badged Dreamsys, and a C-media CMI9880 audio chip (a high-end chip way back when, with native 24bit/192KHz ADC and DAC).

daphile (32-bit) worked fine straight away, but alas, no sound. Trying out a lot of settings incl. alsa did not help. Furthermore, the system did not give any indication that something was wrong, the music player indicated that songs were playing but no sound at all.

I then switched player from Squeezelite to SqueezePlay, reboot, and hey presto, there was sound! All the way up from 16bit/44.1KHz to 24bit/192KHz excepting multiples of 44.1KHz (i.e. 88.2 & 176.4). Hence, the audio driver (or player?) does not seem to check the different sampling rates supported by the on-board DAC and transcode accordingly. OTOH, the CMI9880 is a quirky chip; I remember all sorts of problems with it under Windows at the time, requiring a number of driver updates and none was completely glitch-free.

Running at 2.4GHz, this system played without any dropouts or other problems even at the highest bit/sampling rates. Sound quality was very good with this system.

Anyway, trying this was just for fun. I have a few old laptops (>15 years) that I will be trying next.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:23 AM   #557
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I know Daphile runs headless though it frustrates me to have to use two laptops to play files from one.
No wireless here so wired connections and cables accross the floor from adjoining rooms don't have much WAF..

Anyone tried Daphile in a virtual machine using the host as the controller...? Would that even work...?
Any guidance would be most welcome..
Old 4th August 2014, 02:12 PM   #558
voy is offline voy
diyAudio Member

First thank you for this wonderful piece of software.

My old config was foobar 2000, a audiofile 24/96 soundcard with a 10m long spdif cable, and that gave me some problems on higher sampling rates. And now I almost finished my ES9018 DAC and did not want to use a 10M usb cable so I switched from foobar2000 to Daphile.

I use a Dell optiplex FX160 with a 8G CF card 4G of ram and a Gigabit Ethernet connection. My server is a Dell R5400 workstation.

I uses the build in web server but it's slow going. The Atom cpu in the FX160 Isn't a speed demon, but this is really slow, a lot of waiting for it to read the directory structure of my music collection. (can you cache the file structure?)

I have read multiple times that you are suppose to use a external application to control Daphile, however the one's I find are old and development stopped around 2010.

Can you point me to a fast, full screen, still developed, windows app to control Daphil? And would that be any faster?

The playback is really good!

Regards Sebastian
Old 5th August 2014, 01:43 PM   #559
tubesguy is offline tubesguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
I know Daphile runs headless though it frustrates me to have to use two laptops to play files from one.
No wireless here so wired connections and cables accross the floor from adjoining rooms don't have much WAF..
You might try having Daphile generate its own little local wireless network and then control it from a cheap Android tablet app. Might help with the WAF.
Old 5th August 2014, 08:37 PM   #560
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesguy View Post
You might try having Daphile generate its own little local wireless network and then control it from a cheap Android tablet app. Might help with the WAF.
Except that would be a wireless solution would it not...?
Quote:
Looking for a local solution that involves 1 (one) device only.

One that William of Ockham and his 'whisker reduction device' would approve of...

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OSHide this!Advertise here!