Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS
Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2019, 04:42 PM   #3561
MSHAVS is offline MSHAVS  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
I am repurposing an old tranquil T7 server which had WHS on it to run it. I have upgraded the hard disk to a 500GB SSD. I was looking at a Centos install with LMS before I learned about Daphile.

My requirements for the server are:
- run LMS for 2 squeezebox devices and current 150GB music library
- automate daily backups for 2 household laptops

Does anyone have a Daphile install and also setup an unrelated backup system in parallel?

Any advice appreciated.
As always there is no definite answer, but "it depends". Although Daphile is a readonly O.S. (so usually you would run it as a one-off solution) I run it in a VirtualBox on a Debian-hosted system. The system I'm using not very powerful (a J1900 processor with 4GB memory and 128GB SSD), but for daily usage it's doing its job. The configuration is as follows:

- Debian Stretch with VirtualBox and Pi-hole (DNS and DHCP server), using Webmin as administration tool.
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server 1
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server 2
- one custom AntiX Virtual Machine

I'm not sure what kind of backup solution you think to use and what type of systems you want to backup, but you can search a Linux package that can do the backups you would like to make. Also, with Samba and some scripting you can build this yourself (but that requires quite some knowledge of linux)
Old 29th June 2019, 06:05 AM   #3562
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Odd and most welcome behaviour.....

I have been ripping some of my LPs to cd quality and burning a cd for use in the physical player....(wifey knows how to work......)

Of course there is no cddb lookup for lps that is not a pita.

However, hows this for an accidental kludge .... I was ripping some cds in Daphile and at the bottom of the pile was a recent lp rip...Jeff Beck-Truth... so just for fun tried that in the Daphile ripper....

It must have acoustic fingerprinting ! It not only found all the tracks but found the artwork too..... stunned.

Note that I had only trimmed the lead in and out on the lp rip so timings of tracks would be consistent...

Now to try some others... this may be the best kludge for lp album artwork I've found yet...
Old 30th June 2019, 08:09 AM   #3563
vlv81 is offline vlv81  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi all

Loving everything about Daphile so far. Even got access to my iTunes library through the Remote Music Libraries piece in the Audio Player Tab. Don't want to start any sort of debate but next step is to hook up a thin client in a second room. The main server I am using has a solid state drive. The thin client will be using an external USB hard disk drive (hopefully ) Is there any difference between using a HDD instead of a SSD, apart from the read speed etc... ? I am not a computer guy so this question is possibly at dunce level for some of you lol
Old 30th June 2019, 08:19 AM   #3564
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv81 View Post
Is there any difference between using a HDD instead of a SSD, apart from the read speed etc... ?l
Lots of differences, but none of them affect sound quality (except that you might hear a HDD work if you sit close to it).
Old 30th June 2019, 08:22 AM   #3565
diyAudio Member

Thanks Julf. I will hopefully have a crack at it this coming weekend.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:59 PM   #3566
Triplefun is offline Triplefun  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi all

Loving everything about Daphile so far. Even got access to my iTunes library through the Remote Music Libraries piece in the Audio Player Tab. Don't want to start any sort of debate but next step is to hook up a thin client in a second room. The main server I am using has a solid state drive. The thin client will be using an external USB hard disk drive (hopefully ) Is there any difference between using a HDD instead of a SSD, apart from the read speed etc... ? I am not a computer guy so this question is possibly at dunce level for some of you lol
Why don't you network/wireless attach the thin client to the main system to save you having to replicate the music data?
Old 1st July 2019, 11:18 PM   #3567
diyAudio Member

Hi Triplefun

I would need to either get a WiFi extender or repeater of some sort. The second room I work in is not attached to the house. It is far enough away that my current WiFi drops out before I get there. Whilst it has power there is no phone line either. It is on a farm and approx 800m from the house. I have mobile phone coverage is there a way I could hot-spot using mobile data? Thanks again. Probably another easy way to do it but was going to install the non rt version on the thin client and use it as a server with a HDD with the music stored on that. Perhaps without WiFi it's not possible at all.
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:36 AM   #3568
Triplefun is offline Triplefun  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Triplefun

I would need to either get a WiFi extender or repeater of some sort. The second room I work in is not attached to the house. It is far enough away that my current WiFi drops out before I get there. Whilst it has power there is no phone line either. It is on a farm and approx 800m from the house. I have mobile phone coverage is there a way I could hot-spot using mobile data? Thanks again. Probably another easy way to do it but was going to install the non rt version on the thin client and use it as a server with a HDD with the music stored on that. Perhaps without WiFi it's not possible at all.
As long as the 'room' is within line of sight of the main house you could always use a pair of TP Link CPE510 for a point to point wireless extension. There are lots of options on ebay. Would be cheaper and more effective than a hotspot,
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:38 AM   #3569
diyAudio Member

Thanks Triplefun, I'll look into that. I was originally just going to use the PC I bought in the house but I was lucky and got the thin client free and really want to use it with Daphile instead of cd's and old iRiver ihp120 (hooked up with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter)
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:30 PM   #3570
boardtc is offline boardtc
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHAVS View Post
As always there is no definite answer, but "it depends". Although Daphile is a readonly O.S. (so usually you would run it as a one-off solution) I run it in a VirtualBox on a Debian-hosted system. The system I'm using not very powerful (a J1900 processor with 4GB memory and 128GB SSD), but for daily usage it's doing its job. The configuration is as follows:

- Debian Stretch with VirtualBox and Pi-hole (DNS and DHCP server), using Webmin as administration tool.
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server 1
- one Daphile Virtual Machine as Audio server 2
- one custom AntiX Virtual Machine

I'm not sure what kind of backup solution you think to use and what type of systems you want to backup, but you can search a Linux package that can do the backups you would like to make. Also, with Samba and some scripting you can build this yourself (but that requires quite some knowledge of linux)

Thanks! I previously used windows software for backups alright. But the main thing is to do backups with Daphile I'm looking about running multiple VMs. I am thinking Vortexbox might suit my requirements now.

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OSHide this!Advertise here!