Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2019, 08:47 AM   #3541
Triplefun is offline Triplefun  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default New Daphile Computer

I have just installed the Youtube plugin and find it will only play youtube clips created using the ogg codec. Otherwsie it just skips the entry. Presumably I need to load additional codecs? Is there a LMS plugin to support this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Youtube.jpg (208.1 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Triplefun; 22nd June 2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:43 AM   #3542
vlv81 is online now vlv81  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi all

So I got a small form factor pc 2.5ghz 4 threads but 1300mhz DDR3 and solid state drive. Installed and running with an ether net cable and playing music. Nice. I went back through the posts and page 341, I think, and got a Comcast WiFi dongle as suggested today. Having trouble getting that going. Possibly because ethernet cable connected?
Also Daphile is running in read only so not saving changes. Been up for work at 4:30 so maybe too tired to think clearly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Old 25th June 2019, 09:50 AM   #3543
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv81 View Post
Hi all

snip
Also Daphile is running in read only so not saving changes. snip
So it is not installed ? On a flash drive still testing ?

Comfast are mostly universal devices in Linux but Daphile does have a limited recognition of wifi hardware
Page 341 doesn't seem to have any discussion about comfast...but I recall a discussion somewhere...may even have been me recommending it ...lol
What comfast device have you got ?
I will test Daphile with my adapter tomorrow and report.

If you boot with a screen attached and select the options for wifi what happens ?

Ha ! it was me !

Quote:
Just to check...you're starting Daphile with it connected via ethernet cable and then going to settings>network and filling in the wifi router details and password and saving...then shutting down, removing the cable, plugging in the wifi adapter and booting ?

Last edited by DRONE7; 25th June 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 25th June 2019, 05:52 PM   #3544
diyAudio Member

Hi Drone7

I believe I installed to the SSD. At the end it says to remove the USB drive and then Daphile starts and I access it through a Web page on my laptop. I entered the WI-FI settings from the remote laptop after the Daphile PC screen turned off using the details I got from Fing. I ripped one cd as a trial.
Somehow I missed the bit where I reboot with the ether net cable unplugged. I will do that tonight! Rookie mistake!!! I will report back.

Thanks and apologies for these questions. I'm not a computer guy, just a music listening guy! Really appreciate everyone's advice
Old 26th June 2019, 09:00 AM   #3545
diyAudio Member

Well I'm impressed!!

Managed to get going over WiFi, get Tidal going rip a couple of CD's and have a listen.

I know there has been conjecture before about true A/B testing, but I know when my wife is sitting on the couch with little knowledge of what I've been doing and makes a comment on the stereo in a positive light without mentioning the almighty dollar or how ugly something looks my own ears aren't lying. In her words "that sounds open and crisp!

I recently came across a track (forget the lyrics if offends in any way but listen to the voice instead) by Jace Everett called Bad Things from the album Old New Borrowed Blues. No idea how this was recorded but through Daphile you would swear he is in the room, more so than on the CD. The guitar string buzzing in Stone Sour's version of Wicked Game is brilliant. I could go on. I'm a fan. Even if you forget the fact it plays streams from Tidal etc... , rips CD's and links to out board storage etc... etc.... as a basic music server it would be cool, but all the other pieces are amazing. Long weekend geeking out on this planned.

Huge thanks to Kipeta for this product and those who contributed in the forum with questions, answers and suggestions.
Old 26th June 2019, 09:04 AM   #3546
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know there has been conjecture before about true A/B testing, but I know when my wife is sitting on the couch with little knowledge of what I've been doing and makes a comment on the stereo in a positive light without mentioning the almighty dollar or how ugly something looks my own ears aren't lying. In her words "that sounds open and crisp!

Are you aware of the Clever Hans effect?
Old 26th June 2019, 09:18 AM   #3547
diyAudio Member

Yep. Mentioned before in the thread. Googled it after reading that post and don't care. She doesn't listen to music the same as I do, it's a background thing for her. I never solicited an opinion either. But maybe she picked up on some "involuntary cue" from me. WAF and the fact I like it is good enough for me. Not talking myself into thinking something is good because I spent stupid money on it or someone else saying it's good which I've done in the past. Daphile cost me about $50 in 2nd hand gear from work and some time to get going and does sound better than my CD player or Tidal streamed through the same DAC. The only opinion that matters is mine. Unless it's stupid money, then my wife's opinion matters because I will be spending longer in the dog box lol

Last edited by vlv81; 26th June 2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 26th June 2019, 09:39 AM   #3548
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unless it's stupid money, then my wife's opinion matters because I will be spending longer in the dog box lol

In that case, play the system slightly louder and ask "you notice how it now sounds much better, don't you?"
Old 26th June 2019, 09:46 AM   #3549
diyAudio Member

Not too keen on that idea Julf. I would guess listening levels normally would be 80 to 90 dB when she's home. Any louder and I wouldn't have enough power to hear it from the dog box lol
Old 26th June 2019, 09:50 AM   #3550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not too keen on that idea Julf. I would guess listening levels normally would be 80 to 90 dB when she's home. Any louder and I wouldn't have enough power to hear it from the dog box lol

The point is that a small volume difference (2 dB or so) is not perceived as "louder" but "better, even "open" and "crisp". That is why level matching (with a meter) is essential for any listening comparison.

Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OSHide this!Advertise here!