Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

As with every other Linux installation I have tried, wireless fails to allow anything to connect to it (laptop, iPhone, Ipad, Android). This means you are stuck with a Ethernet lan connection which is - as other have noted - still prone to dropping.

For a client/server rig this is just useless really. FYI I have an Asus USB-N13 (Realtek chipset) wifi dongle which was flaky under Mint despite the fact it is touted as Linux compatible, and will not connect to my home wifi network under Daphile at all. It does seem to operate in hotspot mode, but will not let any device connect (default passphrase is not accepted to enable connection).
Hi,

I have the same hotspot problem (seems to work but authentication fails) with Realtek RTL8188CE based adapter. Daphile is using only the device drivers that come along with kernel and there seems to be some issues with those rtlwifi drivers and hostapd (google finds problems without solutions). The closed source drivers that Realtek provides could work better but unfortunately I don't have currently enough time/resources to test that.

Could you please tell more about the ethernet problems you have ("prone to dropping")?

Thanks for feedback.

Hi Kimmo,

I'm sorry the problem isn't with DSD128 files, the problem is that can't play format DSF files 64 or 128.

The interface is very good I will appreciate if in place of cable between the PC/Laptop can run Wifi.

Felipe

Hi,

Unfortunately I have only two DSF files (free samples from Blue Coast Records; DSD64). They play fine. I'll try to look at the problem if I could find more test files.

Daphile should support your wifi adapter (you wrote in private email: Intel (R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN). Do you have "Wireless Networking" section in the Settings?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

Unfortunately I have only two DSF files (free samples from Blue Coast Records; DSD64). They play fine. I'll try to look at the problem if I could find more test files.

Daphile should support your wifi adapter (you wrote in private email: Intel (R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN). Do you have "Wireless Networking" section in the Settings?

Yes I tryed but HomeStation don't detect the wireless where is connected the Daphile.

Hi,

I have the same hotspot problem (seems to work but authentication fails) with Realtek RTL8188CE based adapter. Daphile is using only the device drivers that come along with kernel and there seems to be some issues with those rtlwifi drivers and hostapd (google finds problems without solutions). The closed source drivers that Realtek provides could work better but unfortunately I don't have currently enough time/resources to test that.

Could you please tell more about the ethernet problems you have ("prone to dropping")?

Thanks for feedback.

Hi Kipeta

Thanks for the reply. It is a shame as it lets down an otherwise great implementation.

My laptop (HP Elitebook) used with a cable interface to the Daphile server seemed to lose connection to the host (or would not re-establish a connection after unplugging, then reconnecting the cable) sometimes. Other times it seemed stable enough.

I found that using a Netgear wifi router as a hotspot with an Ethernet cable between the Daphile server and the router all was well and I was able to use smartphone clients to control the server and the music was good.

I look forward to how this product develops.

Regards

Mark

Thanks for the reply. It is a shame as it lets down an otherwise great implementation.
I should have mentioned that wireless works fine (incl. hotspot) with all the other Wifi adapters I have:
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (iwlwifi)
- ZyDAS USB stick (zd1211rw)
- Atheros AR9285 (ath9k)
and I have problem only with rtl8192ce driver.
My laptop (HP Elitebook) used with a cable interface to the Daphile server seemed to lose connection to the host (or would not re-establish a connection after unplugging, then reconnecting the cable) sometimes. Other times it seemed stable enough.
The direct ethernet connection between an other PC and Daphile server is not very well tested feature (did you mean such). When ethernet cable is plugged into Daphile PC it always makes a DHCP request by itself and only if that fails (don't remember timeout) Daphile starts a dnsmasq to behave as a DHCP server for the other end. It's quite possible that the other end has also expired a timeout before this happens and that's why the connection does not get established. I'll try find better solution if possible (maybe it's not in a automatic and dynamic way). Maybe Daphile should just use link-local autoconfiguration in case its own DHCP request fails.

Yes I tryed but HomeStation don't detect the wireless where is connected the Daphile.

Could you send more details?
HomeStation conf: Wireless security mode? WPA algorithms? Type of passphrase: hex-code or just text? Any special characters in passphrase or ESSID?

If you send your message through the contact form at www.daphile.com we could continue messaging via emails afterwards.

New version available!

CHANGES on October 4th 2013:
  • CD ripping supports AccurateRip™ verification (see: AccurateRip)
  • CD drive offset calibration added to Settings – CD Ripping (required for AccurateRip™)
  • Improvements and bug fixes for Wireless configuration and initialization
  • Bug fixes for network drive mounting and RW-mode
  • Some package updates (eg. LMS-7.8.0-1380278780)
  • Other minor changes and bug fixes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Last edited:
Kipeta: Would it be possible to build a server/player with Atom-pico-itx Motherboard and a small 7" touchscreen via lvds. Then running an local app on the server (besides the server itself) which works pretty much like Squeezebox, iPeng or Squeezepad? So that means there is a display showing playing info and everything without having to use a smartphone or a pad on the side?

Kipeta: Would it be possible to build a server/player with Atom-pico-itx Motherboard and a small 7" touchscreen via lvds. Then running an local app on the server (besides the server itself) which works pretty much like Squeezebox, iPeng or Squeezepad? So that means there is a display showing playing info and everything without having to use a smartphone or a pad on the side?

Having a local UI would complicate things a lot. Supporting the variety of graphics adapters, displays (resolutions), touch input, keyboards, mice, etc... hardware and the combination of them would just mean too much effort. That's the main reason Daphile is currently targeted to headless configuration (no local display or input devices) and development of local UI is not high on my priorities (at least not at the moment).

Having a local UI would complicate things a lot. Supporting the variety of graphics adapters, displays (resolutions), touch input, keyboards, mice, etc... hardware and the combination of them would just mean too much effort. That's the main reason Daphile is currently targeted to headless configuration (no local display or input devices) and development of local UI is not high on my priorities (at least not at the moment).

Thanks for letting me know.. i'm was thinking about later building a digital streamer/player but would like to have everything in the same unit (like Bladelius Embla/Naim NDx). So if you ever decide to add it i would be glad. :)

Hi Guglielmo,

Currently Daphile supports only 64bit x86 CPUs. I have build system and images for i686 but I haven't released them yet. I want to focus on getting functionality and quality OK on one platform first and I'll consider extending platform support later.

I have tested Daphile with an "old" Core 2 Duo laptop, AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 910e, the previously mentioned Jetway and i7 core laptop (all 64bit x86 CPUs). I would not want recommend anything that I haven't tested by myself.

Kind regards
Kimmo
Hello Kipeta,
I've red that you suggest the Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B mini PC(about 200eur) ,
do you have tested any low cost mini pc suitable for the Daphile?
Compliments for your job.
Ciao
Guglielmo