Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi.

Interesting project. I'll give it a try.

Though I'm wondering what the term "Audiophile" means in the context of Daphile!?!?

How about squeezelite support instead of squeezeplay??

Is there a way to just configure a basic player installation of Daphile without all the server, ripping, asf functionality.
That would deliver a nice server/client networking solution.
As far as I understand Daphile currently acts the same way as MPD. It's basically a local server and player. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Last edited:
Though I'm wondering what the term "Audiophile" means in the context of Daphile!?!?
This is what I answered to the same question at the hydrogenaudio forum:
First of all Daphile is “only” software (familiar comment from HW guys ;-) so I limit the answer to that scope. If a software solution is capable of giving the bitperfect and gapless playback stream (without disruptions or at least very minimal) to hardware using the audiophile class input file formats then I would say that software is completely neutral in respect to audio playback quality. And that would be my main criteria for 'audiophile class' qualification.

I later commented about 'audiophile class input file formats' the following (for question: what are these?):
The best that's available. Lossless format with different sampling rates and sample sizes. Minimum CD quality 44.1kHz 16bit. Different container formats: flac, wav, aiff, wv, ... (DRM free). Daphile does not support everything. DSD formats are still missing - I'll try to work on that.
How about squeezelite support instead of squeezeplay??
I have tried but had some problems (one related to minor audio glitches in some situations, don't remember exactly anymore). Squeezeplay (that I have patched a little bit) just performed better. I haven't checked the latest Squeezelite version but I currently I don't see any problems with Squeezeplay and no reason to swap.
Is there a way to just configure a basic player installation of Daphile without all the server, ripping, asf functionality.
That would deliver a nice server/client networking solution.
As far as I understand Daphile currently acts the same way as MPD. It's basically a local server and player. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.
You can use Daphile also as a player client for existing server. At least the local media server and file server can disabled. I don't remember the CD ripping (you can ignore it).

New test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 17th 2013:
  • Initial DSD file support:
    • DSF (.dsf) and DSDIFF (.dff) supported (both DSD64 and DSD128)
    • no native DSD-over-USB (DoP) yet. Coming soon - have to get DAC with DoP support.
    • no support for DST compressed files (didn't find any samples)
    • Known issue: "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan does not include DSD files. "Look for new and changed audio files" rescan works.
  • Linux kernel upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 series.

New test release available!

CHANGES on August 21st 2013:
  • Support for native DSD playback with DSD-over-PCM (verified only for DSD64 with Benchmark DAC2 HGC). Enable it from Audio Settings for the DAC that supports it.
  • DSD file "Clear library and rescan everything" problem fixed
  • Replay Gain calculation added to the CD ripping process
  • Some other minor bug fixes and changes
Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed! Now especially any DSD-over-PCM experiences with different DACs and DSD128.

New test release available!

CHANGES on August 28th 2013:
  • Bug fix release - no new features
  • Wireless networking fixes: recover from initial scan failure, simultaneous client/hotspot operation fixed
  • Sound format conversions improved for different audio devices (use plughw as fallback)
  • Some other bug fixes and minor changes

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hi Kipeta:

Daphile lose the track when going to different sampling frequency.
Need to restart.
Now i cant stop listen Beethoven for All- Barenboim & WEDO @24/192... 9 hours!!!...
(after restart). The music IS wonderful.

And no SSH2 service?
CryptoTerm shows:

Connection error occurred
Code: 10061
Server is not available

Thanks for your gift.

Juan.

Hi Kipeta:

Daphile lose the track when going to different sampling frequency.
Need to restart.
Now i cant stop listen Beethoven for All- Barenboim & WEDO @24/192... 9 hours!!!...
(after restart). The music IS wonderful.

And no SSH2 service?
CryptoTerm shows:

Connection error occurred
Code: 10061
Server is not available

Thanks for your gift.

Juan.
Daphile does not have ssh server enabled.

Could describe the sampling frequency change problem in detail? What DAC are you using? Is the problem somehow repeatable?

There's a lot to like here. I will try to spend some time with it and hope to add to the discussion.
As others have said a distribution that would run on ARM would be of real value. Raspberry-Pi, CuBox, Beaglebone to name a few would be great platforms for this.
I have an Atom pc that I use for my media center and a large NAS for storage. I use WDTV boxes for video. Something like this will be a nice addition.

New version available!

CHANGES on September 6th 2013:
  • Storage configurations improved
  • Support for LVM and RAID volumes (not for DaphileBoot or DaphileData)
  • Samba file server configuration support for internal drives
  • CD ripping configuration options added for automatic start, disc eject, ripping target disk, CD drive offset and to disable ripping service
  • Support for Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC (thanks to KahLeong for testing)
  • DSD playback fix for HW with max rate above 192kHz
  • Sample rate limit configuration added
  • Kernel audio module parameter configurations added to web UI
  • Other minor changes and bug fixes

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

I intend to compare this with Audiophile Linux which works very well within the limits of its ambition.

My only question before I go ahead is:

Does Daphile support USB Audio 2.0? I want to interface to a WAVEIO.

Thanks

Mark
USB 2 is the main interface I use by myself (Ayre QB-9 and Audiophilleo1). I have also the waveIO board and I have test that Daphile seems to work with it. However I say "seems to work" because I still haven't connected waveIO to any further and don't if there is any sound.

Hi Kipeta

OK - Daphile works very nicely. Great browser interface, good packaging that recognises the Luckit WaveIO interface (failed to recognise it once, but every other restart seems fine), is really straightforward to get up and running. It even picked up my library from an external USB drive without issue.

Sound is on a par with other small-footprint Linux installs and thus very good and certainly a step up from the default Windows options (and even a few of the less default Windows players).

So far, so very good. An extremely competent new package.

BUT -

As with every other Linux installation I have tried, wireless fails to allow anything to connect to it (laptop, iPhone, Ipad, Android). This means you are stuck with a Ethernet lan connection which is - as other have noted - still prone to dropping.

For a client/server rig this is just useless really. FYI I have an Asus USB-N13 (Realtek chipset) wifi dongle which was flaky under Mint despite the fact it is touted as Linux compatible, and will not connect to my home wifi network under Daphile at all. It does seem to operate in hotspot mode, but will not let any device connect (default passphrase is not accepted to enable connection).

If you can sort that out - you have a winner.

Thanks for bringing this out, though, because I do like it (crappy Linux networking issues notwithstanding).

Mark

I'll give it a try soon. But I still think that adding MPD will be a big improvement. Another would be to add Rygel to make it upnp/dlna capable device.

Stupid question : does the image runs directly from USB stick without hdd install ? What Windows software you recommend to flash it into USB stick ?

Thank you

I'll give it a try soon. But I still think that adding MPD will be a big improvement. Another would be to add Rygel to make it upnp/dlna capable device.

Stupid question : does the image runs directly from USB stick without hdd install ? What Windows software you recommend to flash it into USB stick ?

Thank you

Hi

Not a stupid question, I think. Daphile will run from a USB stick if your hardware supports USB as boot media. It will not let you save anything to that image though, it seems to be frozen, like a disk ISO. If you look at the instruction document on the Daphile website, there is a link to a utility that allows you to create the required image from either MAC, Linux or Windows machinery on a USB drive.

Works without drama.

Mark

Hi

Not a stupid question, I think. Daphile will run from a USB stick if your hardware supports USB as boot media. It will not let you save anything to that image though, it seems to be frozen, like a disk ISO. If you look at the instruction document on the Daphile website, there is a link to a utility that allows you to create the required image from either MAC, Linux or Windows machinery on a USB drive.

Works without drama.

Mark

Thanks, I didn't notice that instruction on the website.