Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

USB cable quality
USB cable quality
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2016, 09:30 PM   #481
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
As far as data corruption............in optimal conditions, test shows there is usually almost none. But I'd be willing to bet there are many ways you can corrupt USB data a little or a lot, and still have it come out as music. For example read this:

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/d...cs/frmts10.pdf
I do not see any error correction mechanism in those specifications. A flipped bit will produce audible click or ever ruin the whole frame if in the frame header. Where is the potential for the little yet reoccuring corruption? The LSB can be flipped randomly, but next time it will be a more significant one - thus a click.
Old 12th February 2016, 08:07 AM   #482
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

USB cable quality
Bits are not just bit though, its the bits between bits that we have to worry about, these anti-bits (only recently discovered as a by product of research at CERN into Antimatter) are the cause for concern, they are a fleeting phenomena that seemingly only appear in digital audio, where they can randomly change to normal bits, but only in a position in a packet of data that corresponds to actual music, rendering control bits unchanged. This is why we get these minor changes in digital audio reproduction and no where else where digital data transmission is involved. A white paper is due early March written by one of CERN's German female physicists Prof. Legsanbrains.

Old 12th February 2016, 08:08 AM   #483
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

USB cable quality
Regarding ferrite's and sound change any proof or just anecdotal evidence, gained from sighted listening......
Old 12th February 2016, 01:32 PM   #484
turbodawg is offline turbodawg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Regarding ferrite's and sound change any proof or just anecdotal evidence, gained from sighted listening......
Sighted A/B listening, comparing 1 minute segments of music, repeatedly. It's a pretty clear difference. I have a good ear, it's enough to convince me.

I think the ferrite is knocking down EMI/RFI hash in the USB power supply line (and possibly the data line too), which is probably not changing the actual data, but is getting into the power and/or signal paths of the dac and causing distortion. Without the ferrite, everything has a bit more sizzle and harshness, which can be good at lower volumes, but fatiguing at higher volumes. I'm personally very sensitive to distortion.

Last edited by turbodawg; 12th February 2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12th February 2016, 01:48 PM   #485
turbodawg is offline turbodawg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
I do not see any error correction mechanism in those specifications. A flipped bit will produce audible click or ever ruin the whole frame if in the frame header. Where is the potential for the little yet reoccuring corruption? The LSB can be flipped randomly, but next time it will be a more significant one - thus a click.
I'm still trying to read more about it. While it's clear there's no feedback type of error correction in the USB data transmission, I'm curious how much data correction is done in a USB DAC, either onboard the USB chip itself or in the DAC chip. Optical disc formats use plenty of error correction, but it's not a feedback type.

Here's a discussion of the errors due to inherent physical flaws in optical discs. Make me think of the practice of using markers on the edge of CD's to reduce stray light...I've never tried it, but this makes it sound more plausible.

http://debenedictis.org/erik/Reports-1981/EC-PCM.pdf

Last edited by turbodawg; 12th February 2016 at 01:52 PM.

USB cable qualityHide this!Advertise here!