I'm looking for a powered USB hub with audio grade power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many audio devices now are USB powered and the power coming from the computer is very noisy. It is suggested to use a powered USB hub but I wonder if there are any out there with high-grade power supplies.

Some of the desired features for the power supply are linear, regulated and having ample current. Feel free to add to the list.

I'm guessing there could be medical or instrumentation grade USB power supplies. If I can't find one to buy I might get a cheap powered USB hub and power supply I like and then wire them together.

I think it depends on how the manufacturer designed the internal psu of the usb audio gear.. im using a maudio fastrck usb and i have tried it on smps and a range of linear psu. On the m audio unit it seems to make no diffrece if i use the power direct from the computer usb port. Well i would say stick with the phone charger if that gives you the sound you are listening for ...

I've looked for the same thing on the internet and also have been unable to find a USB DAC with its own power supply. However, I am using the Twisted Pear receiver/DAC The USB DAC/Receiver and think it sounds very good. Better than the Behringer UCA222. It has some caps to smooth the power from the computer. Another option is to use S/PDIF from your computer, which may involve buying an audio card. Many people believe S/PDIF sounds better than USB.

But here is a case in point - I was evaluation the miniDSP module which has a USB plug for power. When plugged into the computer it sounds bad, plugged into a phone charger it sounds very good.

I retract my previous statement. The miniDSP sounds bad with the phone charger as well but it sounds different!

The charger too has complex power regulating circuitry that senses the state of the battery and adjusts the power accordingly. Terrible idea on my part but it was handy.

In any case, I've been using an onboard sound card for years. MiniDSP with the computer power was bad but as soon as I tried the phone charger I noticed many of the familiar sound flaws I was accustomed to went away. The onborad sound card and the miniDSP were suffering from the same issues. Unfortunately after some listening I am discovering that the old flaws are replaced by new ones but I think the quest for better power is certainly a step in right direction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.