Need Help With Music Playback SW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a music collection that currently consists of about 390,000 songs. To manage it, I use J. River Media Center which is a very popular consumer oriented program. Anyway, the music archive is getting so large that even this program is becoming a bit sluggish.

My question is this. I have heard of a program named something like "Dolette" that a leading satellite radio provider uses to serve up their music. Does anybody know what the proper name is and if it remotely feasible to use the same on a consumer basis? Also a website link would be helpful.

-Stu

That's huge, Stu. I'm just at ~19,000 and JRiver has no problem. Would love to know what you find.

Yeah, J. River was lightning fast up until a bit over 100K. It is still reasonable at 390K but I can tell it is not going to handle my intended goal of about 1.5M well at all which is why I am trying to track down that commercial grade SW that I think is named something like "Dolette".

As a side note, it takes a heck of a bunch of hardware to safely handle an archive that large. I have a 4U Rack Server with capacity for 24 drives. While I only have 14 drives in it at present, I am pretty sure I have the capacity to scale to hold all 1.5M songs. I have about $12K in that rig so far.

-Stu

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of course it begs the question, how do you listen to it all? At present you've got what? Maybe 2.5 years of music running 24/7. Looks like you're aiming for 10 years of music, non stop. ;)

Whatever the big servers are using has to be the way to go for you. Just FWIW, I tried to run my 19K tracks off a USB drive connected directly to a Squeezebox Touch. It could not handle the library management of even that many files. I can see you are going to need horsepower! Too bad this didn't come up earlier, I would have asked around at the NAB show.

It is actually close to 3 years worth. I do everything to excess, that is just the way I am. I will find a way to listen to most of it eventually. It is just really nice to have a random song pop into your head and be able to instantly play it.

As for hardware, I think I bought it beefy enough to scale. The RAID server is currently running a dual core quad processor (8 apparent processors) and 12G RAM. I also have the ability to add another processor (for a total of 16) and tons more RAM. I also have a dual NIC setup that I have configured for teaming so I have a 2G virtual NIC. The HTPC that actually runs J. River is also a dual core quad with 8G RAM and the same dual NIC setup. I can always upgrade both to quad NIC's and team them for a 4G interconnect. I think I am good on hardware.

Lastly, have you checked out the J. River WebGizmo feature? I can now control playback on my main system from any internet device as well as stream to that device. So far, I have only tried main playback plus 3 simultaneous streams and it works perfectly.

-Stu

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've had a look around and can't find the software. I'm browsing thru my new copy of "Broadcast Engineering" at the moment.

Does seem that the big softwares for radio stations all link to an external database, such as SQL. You might have to go that way. Does JRiver call SQL or other database? I can't remember.

I sent an email to a person who works for said major satellite radio company with no reply at present.

Yes, J. River does use its own proprietary DB - not SQL Server Express, MySQL, or Oracle. The problem is that it doesn't contain much other that Album, Artist, and Song. I suspect that the industrial strength stuff uses a real database with a lot more fields - resulting in much better performance and scalability.

-Stu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.