Video and Audio stream separation to different computers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there! :D

So, I've been wandering for some time now if an idea I have in my head is possible. here goes:

I have a pc with a sound blaster x-fi installed (5.1 card) with a Logitech x-530 5.1 speakers attached to it, but since it is a P4, its video playback is kinda choppy when playing full HD stuff. I also have a more recent laptop with a standard stereo card and great HD playback...

What I've been trying to figure out how to do is to have the video play on the laptop and the 5.1 audio in the pc with as little as possible of a delay.

Ideally I would just hit play on the player and both computers would start playing each stream.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thx in advance :)

Some of the options you IMO have:

* Any entry-level PCI-e Nvidia/AMD graphic card will provide you with perfect HW-accellerated fullhd playback, P4 has more than enough power for such scenario

* get an inexpensive USB 5.1 sound card for your notebook and make/have made a 5.1 analog switch (trivial using parallel-port switches available for a few bucks)

* Fight with low-latency lip-synced transfer of audio over network to another machine. It is technically possible (e.g. pulseaudio, jackd), but definitely not straightforward and certainly quirky.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.