Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Xonar ST/STX mods...
Xonar ST/STX mods...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2020, 03:08 PM   #811
diyuser7572 is offline diyuser7572
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone ! I need some troubleshooting advice. My Asus STX II 7.1 was working well, then the line in's gain turned miniscule (I need to up the volume on PC and desktop stereo to max in order to hear content streamed from android phone connected via cable to line-in feed). At the same time the gain of audio from PC more than doubled : I have to scale back the output level of the desktop stereo by about a half, and reduce the dial level of STX II to about 40%. Prior to the line-in problem, I would get the same volume with 80% STX II dial output and 1.5 times the level on mini stereo. In other words, the STX II's card gain increased for input from PC and became close to 0 for line in.
I have reinstalled the card and changed most, if not all, software configurations. Therefore, I wonder if it might be a hardware issue (stuck relay, etc).
I would like to revert the STX II card back to normal operating mode.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #812
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Xonar ST/STX mods...
Long time ago since my last work on Xonar boards. Coming back now with some recent STX2 improvements (very good results also).
I have to say that STX2 it is already an improved version by Asus itself, comparing with the first STX. However it still sounding moufed, even thought the good marketing/advertising...
This sound card it is also capable for high audio quality(after properly upgrading of the power system, clock system, as some other circuits).
My previous upgrade concept was based on adding of a full DAC system, with its own power system completely separated from the computer one, using only the digital interface tapped from the DAC digital inputs (also galvanically isolated). The result and the quality of the sound is indeed impressive. My last upgrade was realised on board, modifying the Assus design, and using the computer power system. Surprisingly, the audio quality level is similar for both these two upgrade approaches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STXupgrade1.jpg (904.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg STXupgrade2.jpg (868.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Coris; Yesterday at 02:04 PM.
  Reply to this post

Xonar ST/STX mods...Hide this!Advertise here!