Audiophile hard drive

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

Thanks for all the comments very useful, the suspension is very stiff just enough to stop vibration getting into the chassis. On some sites I see people suspended their drives with rubber elastic bands !! I agree in this case you could get vibration oscillation issues but most people seem to do this. Also these spring mounts have hardly any side ways movements.

Also I use Western black drives because they have a extra spindle bearing (so 2 bearings in total) the blues and greens only use one bearing. The black drives have a bearing at the bottom of main spindle and one at the top, this stops any cluster movement inside the drive (go on their web for me info) so for me I have over 2TB of pure WAV music files so reliability is key. We will have to see how well SSD drive pan out over the coming years and see if they dont suffer from any memory effects for storage capacity.

all the best

Nick

Also I use Western black drives because they have a extra spindle bearing (so 2 bearings in total) the blues and greens only use one bearing. The black drives have a bearing at the bottom of main spindle and one at the top, this stops any cluster movement inside the drive (go on their web for me info) so for me I have over 2TB of pure WAV music files so reliability is key.
Sure, but a disk spinning at 7200 rpm will also be less reliable than one spinning at 5400rpm. Also, the caviar black disks are designed for performance, while Western Digital have other models specifically designed for long terme reliability and media streaming :
Caviar RE4 GP
Caviar AV GP
I'm pretty sure both would be much quiter and slightly more reliable than a caviar black (although for the RE-4 there's a setting to change concerning error correction if you're not going to use them in RAID)

Also, you might want to convert your files to a modern format like FLAC. this would have several advantages :
-Each track is about 50% smaller, so you'll use the HDD half as much, which means it will be more reliable.
-FLAC has muuuch better error handling than wav, so in case an error happens while reading the file it will be much less audible.
-Since it takes less space it means you can use a smaller disk, which means less platters, which is usually more reliable too.

Nick
Seeing that you are using a high quality Linear PSU for the external HDD, also try disconnecting Vbus (+5V SMPS) at the PC end of the incoming USB cable.;)
There are numerous reports in various forums of USB sounding better with expensive USB cables, which invariably have better separation between Vbus (+5V red wire ) and the twisted pair D- and D+ data leads.
A further enhancement could be the use of a "super regulator"
with the Linear PSU . A "JLH"as featured in a GB thread in DIYAudio , does a great job there, as would other high current capable shunt regulators.
Alex

USB doesn't 'sound' better or worse depending on the cable. Seriously :p

In what way does the modified cable sound "better"? I'm always amazed when a modification to a digital cable turns it into some kind of DSP system (i.e. boosting highs or something). Unless there is audible jitter (unlikely) or other digital errors (it would have to be a seriously bad cable), I don't see how one cable can sound better than another.

Unless there is audible jitter (unlikely) or other digital errors (it would have to be a seriously bad cable), I don't see how one cable can sound better than another.

My theory, FWIW, is its common-mode conducted noise which varies between cables. I use the same theory to explain why analog cables sound different - they're an element in a noise loop. Different amounts of RF noise contribute different amounts of noise modulation into the analog parts of the system owing to HF non-linearities in the analog circuitry. Jitter is mostly a red-herring as far as I can see (hear really) and digital errors simply don't occur enough to make any audible difference.

<edit> a +1 on the WD green drives, I'm also a fan. 2TB now seems to be the sweet spot. Also I heard from my brother about RAID difficulties on some WD drives - they suffer reduced lifetimes due to going into sleep mode repeatedly was it?

Last edited:
Love where you're going with that thing, James! The only way is Essex.

Well-intentioned question, though: much of this design focuses on improving the operating environment of the hard drive, which is fine - but isn't the drive itself, with its powerful neodymium magnets and platter motors, and vibration, the most toxic contaminant in the system?

Auraliti Home

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

Yes very True, but what choice do we have apart from SSD drives, that still need to prove that they don't suffer from memory effect ?? with constant use.

I think the drive benefits from a linear power supply with mains filter, the heat sinks keep the drive cool, and the suspension ensures zero vibration through the chassis .. which is a better idea then suspending the drive using elastic bands.

But you are correct, the drive it self I can not influence apart from purchasing a good quality unit in the 1st place.

But I get a " feel good factor feeling" when I use this drive .. I have all my CD collection in Wav format using Db power amp to rip, as this is a accurate ripper. Then I use wmp 12 or Media center 16 for play back .. and I get stunning results with this drive.:)

And it does look good in my hifi rack, I am currently constructing a music listening room that will be PC based (ongoing experiments) all my friends and family are amazed what you can achieve with a music PC when in the right hands constructed correctly.

all the best, and thanks for your comments

Nick James

Personally I think PC based music is the way to go.
I built a new music PC about six months ago and went complete solid state. There are two hard drives, a 16Gb for the boot and software and a Crucial 256Gb SATA II drive for all the FLAC music files. So far I've had no problems with any data loss. The sound card is an Auzentech and the output op amp for the front channels has been replaced with a class D discrete one. The outputs feed a four channel JLH class A amp which I've just completed.

One last job is to replace the only fan in the PC. The CPU cooler is a Ninja 3, which will be replaced by the Nofan passive cooler. Then I'll have total silence.

Cheers

Hi Nick,

Photos attached. The case is a coolermaster and the psu is semi-fanless. The fan will only cut in at elevated temperatures, it never has. The CPU cooler has a speed controlled fan on the underside so that air is pushed up through the CPU and through the PSU. The CPU fan speed is such that it's barely audible. The Auzentach is on the bottom left and you can see the replacement Op-amp on the underside. The SSD's are fitted in the bottom two 3 1/2" slots via adaptors. Another point in SSD's favour is that there is virtually no heat dissipation, so there's less heat in the case and less load on the PSU.

Cheers

Ned

Attachments

• PB13009200.jpg
    PB13009200.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 313
  • PB13009000.jpg
    PB13009000.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 302
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
2nd audio hard drive project

Hello Forum members

I had a request the other day from my friend who runs a hobby studio and he wanted a robust rack mount hard drive for music and recordings etc .. I had made a few of these before. Now in the workshop I did have a rack project for a CD rom drive that I aborted for various reasons and wondered if I could re-use (restart ) the project for a new purpose. Now I played around a bit with the design for a few evenings and now I really like it for its function and robustness.

1. I used a heat sink enclosure for the hard drive (in this case a 4T byte drive)
2. placed the drive on suspension mounts
3. used a switch mode psu for the +12 and +5 power supply
4. Added a 12v trigger relay so the drive automatically turns on when the PC is on
5. I used a ESATA direct connection directly to the pc

Also due to the fact there was already a hole made for the CD Rom I used this to allow the heatsink to vent .. and to be honest I have grown to like the design, at least I saved the case for another use.

Any way the drive is nice and silent runs cool in the studio rack .. and my studio friend is over the moon with the reliability and speed of access to the drive from his studio pc
will add the photos so hopefully a picture says a thousand words etc .... hope you like the idea and design even though a little bit wacky and not the norm that you usually see

Last edited:
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
4th batch of pictures .. just thought I would post and chuck it out there to you folks, gives me something to do in the covid dark days etc

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg