Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Audiophile hard drive
Audiophile hard drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2011, 08:10 AM   #21
jamesfeline is offline jamesfeline  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

Thanks for all the comments very useful, the suspension is very stiff just enough to stop vibration getting into the chassis. On some sites I see people suspended their drives with rubber elastic bands !! I agree in this case you could get vibration oscillation issues but most people seem to do this. Also these spring mounts have hardly any side ways movements.

Also I use Western black drives because they have a extra spindle bearing (so 2 bearings in total) the blues and greens only use one bearing. The black drives have a bearing at the bottom of main spindle and one at the top, this stops any cluster movement inside the drive (go on their web for me info) so for me I have over 2TB of pure WAV music files so reliability is key. We will have to see how well SSD drive pan out over the coming years and see if they dont suffer from any memory effects for storage capacity.

all the best

Nick
Old 17th September 2011, 09:36 AM   #22
BlueScreenJunky is offline BlueScreenJunky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also I use Western black drives because they have a extra spindle bearing (so 2 bearings in total) the blues and greens only use one bearing. The black drives have a bearing at the bottom of main spindle and one at the top, this stops any cluster movement inside the drive (go on their web for me info) so for me I have over 2TB of pure WAV music files so reliability is key.
Sure, but a disk spinning at 7200 rpm will also be less reliable than one spinning at 5400rpm. Also, the caviar black disks are designed for performance, while Western Digital have other models specifically designed for long terme reliability and media streaming :
Caviar RE4 GP
Caviar AV GP
I'm pretty sure both would be much quiter and slightly more reliable than a caviar black (although for the RE-4 there's a setting to change concerning error correction if you're not going to use them in RAID)

Also, you might want to convert your files to a modern format like FLAC. this would have several advantages :
-Each track is about 50% smaller, so you'll use the HDD half as much, which means it will be more reliable.
-FLAC has muuuch better error handling than wav, so in case an error happens while reading the file it will be much less audible.
-Since it takes less space it means you can use a smaller disk, which means less platters, which is usually more reliable too.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:58 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi

All good feedback .. both those drives look interesting, I was not aware of those particular drives .. thanks for the links.

regards

Nick
Old 20th September 2011, 01:46 AM   #24
logick is offline logick  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyK View Post
Nick
Seeing that you are using a high quality Linear PSU for the external HDD, also try disconnecting Vbus (+5V SMPS) at the PC end of the incoming USB cable.
There are numerous reports in various forums of USB sounding better with expensive USB cables, which invariably have better separation between Vbus (+5V red wire ) and the twisted pair D- and D+ data leads.
A further enhancement could be the use of a "super regulator"
with the Linear PSU . A "JLH"as featured in a GB thread in DIYAudio , does a great job there, as would other high current capable shunt regulators.
Alex
USB doesn't 'sound' better or worse depending on the cable. Seriously
Old 20th September 2011, 04:13 AM   #25
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logick View Post
USB doesn't 'sound' better or worse depending on the cable. Seriously
That's not what many Computer Audiophile members are saying. It isn't my experience, and a poster earlier in this thread agreed after diconnecting Vbus wire at the PC end of the USB cable.
SandyK

Best USB cable to use between computer and dac? | Computer Audiophile
Old 20th September 2011, 04:18 AM   #26
FloridaBear is offline FloridaBear
diyAudio Member

In what way does the modified cable sound "better"? I'm always amazed when a modification to a digital cable turns it into some kind of DSP system (i.e. boosting highs or something). Unless there is audible jitter (unlikely) or other digital errors (it would have to be a seriously bad cable), I don't see how one cable can sound better than another.
Old 20th September 2011, 04:28 AM   #27
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBear View Post
Unless there is audible jitter (unlikely) or other digital errors (it would have to be a seriously bad cable), I don't see how one cable can sound better than another.
My theory, FWIW, is its common-mode conducted noise which varies between cables. I use the same theory to explain why analog cables sound different - they're an element in a noise loop. Different amounts of RF noise contribute different amounts of noise modulation into the analog parts of the system owing to HF non-linearities in the analog circuitry. Jitter is mostly a red-herring as far as I can see (hear really) and digital errors simply don't occur enough to make any audible difference.

<edit> a +1 on the WD green drives, I'm also a fan. 2TB now seems to be the sweet spot. Also I heard from my brother about RAID difficulties on some WD drives - they suffer reduced lifetimes due to going into sleep mode repeatedly was it?

Last edited by abraxalito; 20th September 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:15 PM   #28
hubsand is offline hubsand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Love where you're going with that thing, James! The only way is Essex.

Well-intentioned question, though: much of this design focuses on improving the operating environment of the hard drive, which is fine - but isn't the drive itself, with its powerful neodymium magnets and platter motors, and vibration, the most toxic contaminant in the system?

Auraliti Home
Old 29th October 2011, 11:28 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi

Yes very True, but what choice do we have apart from SSD drives, that still need to prove that they don't suffer from memory effect ?? with constant use.

I think the drive benefits from a linear power supply with mains filter, the heat sinks keep the drive cool, and the suspension ensures zero vibration through the chassis .. which is a better idea then suspending the drive using elastic bands.

But you are correct, the drive it self I can not influence apart from purchasing a good quality unit in the 1st place.

But I get a " feel good factor feeling" when I use this drive .. I have all my CD collection in Wav format using Db power amp to rip, as this is a accurate ripper. Then I use wmp 12 or Media center 16 for play back .. and I get stunning results with this drive.

And it does look good in my hifi rack, I am currently constructing a music listening room that will be PC based (ongoing experiments) all my friends and family are amazed what you can achieve with a music PC when in the right hands constructed correctly.

all the best, and thanks for your comments

Nick James
Old 29th October 2011, 07:37 PM   #30
hubsand is offline hubsand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have you seen this thread on CA where they discuss DIY and off-the-shelf SATA filters for HDs?
SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter when using external clock and DAC?? | Computer Audiophile

Audiophile hard driveHide this!Advertise here!