Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Audiophile hard drive
Audiophile hard drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2011, 10:58 AM   #11
jamesfeline is offline jamesfeline  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I will try your suggestions and let you know how I get on

all the best

Nick
Old 10th August 2011, 01:59 AM   #12
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
Good call on cutting the +5V on the USB!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:26 AM   #13
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nick, its a lovely case. Did you compare the sound of a standard hard drive to your souped up version? Was your main motivation to reduce the mechanical noise of the HDD or to improve the playback quality?
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi

The main focus was to reduce vibration and heat, also to increase the reliability hence the suspension mounts.
I was never a fan of those small switch mode power supply's that you plug directly into the wall socket.

I thought I make a high current (in this case 5 amps) regulated using a to3 case regulator (LM series) to power the drive. My main reason was. if I could supply as near a DC supply as possible .. you would give the drive every chance to perform at its best. I use pure wave files ripped using dbpower amp software. This enables windows media player and JRIVER media to use tags for wav files. The sound is better then any CD player that I have owned and is dead silent when the case lid is on, with no vibration at all.

I just had a urge to make the drive as I did ... and I am glad I did.

all the best

Nick
Old 3rd September 2011, 02:48 AM   #15
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
yeah it's a great project. I want to make one!
Old 3rd September 2011, 03:08 AM   #16
Wombat is offline Wombat  Germany
diyAudio Member

WD Caviar green 1TB has 5.30 watts on Read/Write and a max of 27dba @ 5400, while the 1TB black has 6.8Watt 33dba @ 7200...
I can hardly hear or feel my 59 1TB green from Amazon in its default case atm
Old 3rd September 2011, 03:16 AM   #17
mill23bay is offline mill23bay  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was going to use my computer for the music system, but found the audio card was to noisy. So I tried a M-Audio transit. It has USB host connection right to the mother board and bypassed the noise. Output from the M-Audio transit to the preamp and it sounded nice. Now I am using a Tvix M6500 with a 2TB HD with all my music ripped to flac or wav files and use the optical out to a decoder then to the preamp. Very nice. I was going to go the computer system but found it to large. Your setup is great. Very high build quality. I like seeing the good work that goes on out there!
Peter C.
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:42 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi

Also I am a bit of a amateur DJ, and I find the suspension system really protects the drive from sudden shocks. Also the main PC platform using a passive graphics card so generates loads of heat. By removing the data drives my next pc case can be smaller say 3u in height instead of 4u as per the photos, also I use a SSD drive for boot up. Also when I turn the drive off it is 100% off not drawing any power as the on/off is a latch system for the main .. so a little greener as well.

My next project, same case as the drive will be used for a sata blue ray drive, also the idea was to make PC hardware look more like hifi equipment hence the rack case. The feet I had specially made ...
Old 9th September 2011, 04:12 AM   #19
FloridaBear is offline FloridaBear
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
WD Caviar green 1TB has 5.30 watts on Read/Write and a max of 27dba @ 5400, while the 1TB black has 6.8Watt 33dba @ 7200...
I can hardly hear or feel my 59 1TB green from Amazon in its default case atm
+1 on the WD Green drives. I have both the black and green versions, and the green drives are MUCH quieter. I have a couple green 1.5's that are lightly used that I could be persuaded to part with if you're interested...I had planned to put them in a RAID, but they are just unsuitable for that for reasons I won't get into here. But as a standalone, they work fine and would be nearly ideal for an audio application--lower power and QUIET.
Old 14th September 2011, 07:37 AM   #20
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Very nice project.

And if you say your drive needs to be protected from external shocks, then I won't criticize.

But for "regular" operation, suspension REDUCES the life expectancy of a drive.
This is because drives are not usually operated that way and the motors are built for a solid mount usage scenario.
If you want it silent, you would need to use a Scythe Quiet Drive for example.
That provides the counterweight the motors in the drive need and reduces noise.
Then you could suspend the Quiet Drive and be golden.

Temperatures would not be a problem, as hard drive reliability is best between 35 and 45 degrees.
(Hotter is not that bad, cooler is really bad for the drive.)

But overall: Nice work.

Audiophile hard driveHide this!Advertise here!