Spotify in the USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a friend over yesterday to listen to my system. He brought his music collection on a big USB hard drive. Unfortunately it was Mac formated and I could not read it. But we found almost all he wanted to hear on Spotify.

I don't have the high quality streaming, just the "No adverts" version. He was still surprised at how good it sounded. He had brought a Cobie Calliat CD and we compared that to the Spotify version. The steaming version was like a lot of mid to high bitrate compression, slightly warmer and flatter than the original. The CD version had more space and depth and sounded slightly cooler. We didn't hear any artifacts in the stream, just the loss of some detail and a warming of the sound.

Just a FWIW.

I am using google music more and more, both win7 and linux connection work well. I also have a free account with spotify, but since google music converts flac to high rate mp3, to me sound excellent.

I would be interested in someone comparing both sites.

SQ of Spotify

I am using premium version for 30 day trial.

320 or FLAC via EAC under Vista (WDM driver) > Soundblaster Audigy II breakout box CoaxOut > > Tranparant Reference Digital cable > Zapped Zahlou 2.5 > MAC Palladium cables > custom 6BX7 PP Triode headphone amp (premium NOS glass built by Abraxas Audio) > AKG702/Cardas.

This setup allows me to use a Soundblaster remote for volume and track advancement (in Foobar, as well, and I use several FooMote apps to control the PC, and also a Squeezebox App on Android to control Squeezebox and server. All cool.)

Spotify Premium not quite as good as FLAC-ripped on my hard disk; however, CLOSE. SOUNDS QUITE EXCELLENT. Better than Grooveshark easily. I also believe it sounds better in premium quality than standard, but this depends on the song.

I would equate Spotify Premium to Squeezebox digital out into same system. Not quite as transparent as hard disk FLAC or 320KPS files, but close enough for the convenience, for sure (QUALIFICATIONS: TME, FWIW, YMMV, PLH).

Overall, I am impressed with Spotify Premium sound quality as above, esp. given the great convenience. I use Spotimote to control the server. Not perfect--but close to perfect!

Technology is allowing us to trick out listening to internal and vast external libraries merged together. Spotifiy does this excellently. Changes are occurring according to Moore's Law, it seems to me.

NOTE: Apparently, Spotify will not recognize FLAC. Do I hear difference between FLAC and 320? Marginal. I think yes, not sure I can tell double-blinded; but I believe I can with certain CDs.

NOTE: I like MusicBee for fixing tags and adding album art, when needed. Both it and Foobar do FLAC no problem.

My musical tastes are pretty much anything, in equal amounts, except classical and country. Heavy emphasis on vocals, given I am a hot glass addict.

Let me also add that for some reason, I do not at all like Amazon downloads. Sounds REALLY digital to my ears. I use a download service from abroad (shhh) for 320KBS downloads, or used CDs ripped in FLAC (and/or 320).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.