RME HDSP AES-32 Software Interface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anybody have any software interface experience with this card?

I am using an HDSP AES-32 and I would like to monitor the incoming 24 bit audio signals (up to 4 channels) with an external software program that I will develop for "real time" analysis and display. The type of signal processing I need to perform is not performed by RME's DigiCheck software. Also, it is necessary for my analysis to have the audio unmodified, so routing through the Windows kernel seems like a bad idea.

What's the best way for me to intercept the audio data? Is there an API for the driver dll that I can use to grab the audio streams? The sound card is installed at present on a Windows XP computer, but it could be installed on a Linux computer if that was an advantage.

Thanks,

Brian

HpW,

ASIO looks like the way to go, at least for now.

This is for a part of a project I inherited at work. The work is not actually audio, but we are using a pro audio ADC and AES/EBU transmitters in a control system because of the ability to acquire and transmit high linearity signals with high s/n over distances without degradation and with off the shelf parts. My immediate need is for noise analysis of the input signals. Longer term, I will be performing various DSP algorithms (which will emulate the algorithms of the control system) on the signals.

Thanks for the reply,

Brian

In linux, quick and dirty interfacing with that card streams requires no programming, no APIs. There are numerous command line utilities (aplay, sox, etc.) which can output the stream data to their standard output, hooked to your program via regular pipes. The output format is either multichannel wav, raw, or any you speficify when using sox. Also all card controls can be manupulated by simple CLI utilities, allowing for easy scripting.

If you want to build a robust SW, you would end up using alsa API, but for experiments and short-term solutions there is no need to spend time studying and interfacing complicated APIs, IMO.

In linux, quick and dirty interfacing with that card streams requires no programming, no APIs. There are numerous command line utilities (aplay, sox, etc.) which can output the stream data to their standard output, hooked to your program via regular pipes. The output format is either multichannel wav, raw, or any you speficify when using sox. Also all card controls can be manupulated by simple CLI utilities, allowing for easy scripting.

If you want to build a robust SW, you would end up using alsa API, but for experiments and short-term solutions there is no need to spend time studying and interfacing complicated APIs, IMO.

Yes, I agree, Linux is very attractive from those points. Do you have any experience of the quality of the Linux driver for the HDSP AES-32?

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, I agree, Linux is very attractive from those points. Do you have any experience of the quality of the Linux driver for the HDSP AES-32?

Personally, I have no experience with these particular cards. They have been mentioned on this website and generally on internet to be fully supported. The producer has linux forums on their website RME User Forum / Linux Its alsa controls are a bit tricky to use but should be no problem for any scientific mind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.