Headphone and soundcard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Quick question.

For years I've had an X-FI platinum with the 5 1/4" bay adapter. I have a pair of Grado SR-325 headphones I always used with it.

Recently I upgraded a few things on the computer and decided to take the X-FI out and use onboard sound. I'm using an EVGA P55 motherboard. I keep trying to get excess stuff out of the case to improve cooling as well as creatives drivers have sucked pretty bad for a long time.

I've been happy with the onboard sound until i decided to try and use the Grado headphones again. Whether I use the front panel jack or the rear jack the headphones just sound dead. thin, no bass, just overall POOR.

Am I imagining this, or does the X-FI's 5 1/4" bay adapter or the card it self actually have a pretty decent and beefy headphone amp in it?

With the X-FI it had excellent bass and highs, and was able to produce damaging volume levels without distorting.
The onboard sound is more like "yea.. its playing."

I want to make sure i'm not just imaging this before i crack the computer open again and throw the X-FI back in.

Since many headphone amps consist of just a simple low-power op-amp circuit, I'd say yes - the X-Fi has NJM4556 op-amps powering the speaker-out connector while the onboard has none.

But neither soundcards are designed to drive headphones directly, get a headphone amp.

I think you give them a bit much credit with "designed" to drive headphones - perhaps "implemented" to drive headphones is more accurate.

Anyway, there's a nice project in progress over on Head-Fi called "Carrie", which implements a PCM2706/PCM2707 USB DAC and a USB powered version of the Mini3 amplifier - all in the same little case as the original Mini3.

Are you asking for opinions on whether the amp of your X-Fi is decent or just telling the world that you think so?

The sentence with the only question mark in the opening post now sounds like a rhetorical question to me, but that would come in conflict with whatever is in front of the first full stop.

wwenze : no.. I never really asked on opinions on the amplifier on it. I asked if it made sense that it could be completely different then the motherboards onboard sound which is a Realtek alc889.

I have already reinstalled it and sure enough my grado's sound like I remembered them sounding. Its been almost a year since I had used them.

If I felt I needed a headphone amp i'd build one for $20.

I did want to know what kind of amplifier this X-FI has in the floppy bay adapter. But it seems no one even realized it had one separate from the card. This is one of the original X-FI's

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.