Best CD Ripper? EAC - dBPowerAmp - JRMC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Will this rip directly from CD into FLAC?

Thanks!
If you mean fre:ac, yes it has built in FLAC encoder so when you select it fre:ac will rip the CD directly to FLAC files (either separate files or one single file of the whole CD + creating playlist and CUE sheet).

Selection of encoder (FLAC, MP3, WAV etc..):
Options -> General Settings (Ctrl + Shift + C) -> Encoder tab

Optionally check out Ripper settings:
Options -> General Settings (Ctrl + Shift + C) -> Ripper tab
tick the boxes for:
* Activate paranoia mode + from drop-down menu you could also go for: "Full paranoia mode"
* Activate jitter correction

Further on fre:ac can check with online database and verify your CD rip accuracy.

Now you are good to go making as "perfect" rip's as possible as far as fre:ac concerns.

Don't have time to read the whole thread, so forgive me if it's been mentioned...

cdparanoia for Linux / BSD etc. Open a terminal and run "cdparanoia -B 1-" - this will rip the CD in the first drive to a set of *.cdda.wav files with god-like fidelity.

Works very well on damaged disks too - repairs with no drop-outs. If the disk is really bad, see the manpage for various option switches to increase attempts, etc.

I use RipperX, which is basically a graphical interface that uses cdparanoia.

Cdparanoia is highly effective. And free.

to add to what Ivo has said -

on any linux system open a terminal and use the 'DD' command, it is a low level bit for bit method of copying. this program will create an EXACT copy of the original, and not just cd's but any type of data.
if you have trouble in the terminal type "man dd" for a description of how to use the program.

regards
gaz

A quick update on my re-rip of library.

The go forward plan is working out nicely. Any CD produced AAD is not re-ripped and remains an existing 320 mp3.
The choice modern recordings in ADD or DDD are re-ripped and archived in flac.

I settled in on EAC and purchased the lifetime meta-data handler.

The difference is stunning. Piano tails, vocals etc sound perfect.
A nice test CD for vocals was found, Linda Ronstadt's Round Midnight with Nelson Riddle's orchestra.

I have removed all iTunes related files from w10 and now use foobar2000.
(iTunes had installed a lot of additional software not related to music.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.