software balance control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the Windows XP world is there an audio player that has a right left balance adjustment? I have tried the thingamajig in Winamp but it does not do much silencing of the opposite channel.

VLC doesn't have it. Real Audio and Real Alternative also do not have it.

Other option is Foobar2000. FB2K has confused me in setup even though it might have what is needed.

I'm using the AC'3 audio on the board and a tripath amp called the DA-1 (Sonic Impact style) from Parts Express. Speakers are what get built at the full range forum over the years.

The goal is to have a control panel where these things can be EQ'ed and balance controlled for testing speakers.

Are you just running the default Foobar setup?

The latest versions of Foobar have come a long way in the default skins...I only started using it a couple years ago, and it's gone from barely usable out of the box (out of the .exe? ;)) to something that works fairly well without any mods. But still, the real power of the program is in the stuff people have done with it :)

Glowbug,

Here's what it says for channel mixer which I got from some questions I asked at Hydrogen audio forum for Foobar:

Channel Mixer (foo_channel_mixer)

* (up|down)mix (to|from) 1-6 channels
* redirect bass to subwoofer channel
* delay channels by 1-10000 ms
* surround sound effect (2->4 or 2->6 mode only)
* changing virtual width of a stereoimage
* etc...

-- But in a related thread it says this doesn't do right/left.

1.) I have the raw FB2K installed.

2.) I would like to add a nice theme.

3.) I need a what you see is what you get right left balance control.

Apparently zip files have to be gotten and installed.

Another quote from somebody who wanted balance control with a slider:

"Isn't there a QUICK and EASY solution for changing balance right away from eg the toolbar with a slider?

You can do that for the whole system in the Sound properties, levels, lookup your channels (Front left+right) click balance and adjust. (I'm assuming you use Vista cause of WASAPI)."

Plus I don't understand anything about playlists and that is all just "noise" on the program content AFAIK.

However, if all these hurdles can be gotten past, Foobar looks like a sophisticated tool-- one which I attempted to use in the early days but dropped because it was more of a programmer's toy than ready for noobs to use.

Thanks for answering and I'll watch for any replies.

It looks similar to Winamp but I'm not fluent in Russian. It has to be freeware though so AIMP should be good for the international set.

In the cross platform world. Audacity may have balance control this but I haven't checked. Audacity can play files but it is not geared to streaming audio. It is a file editor.

--
The ability to play Ogg Vorbis is also a requirement for me. FB2K does that as does VLC.

I know of some of these. I was an early purchaser of Audiograbber by Jackie Frank before he released it and ceased development with v. 1.83. It is still one of the best progs. out there for line in recording from the soundcard. This means I can capture any audio content as a .wav and then recode it as mp3. AG does other things well but the line in function has been priceless for things like "on air" interviews from pod casts and so forth.

Last edited:
an update

Today i got Winamp to behave with regard to balance control.

I can get left or right completely off and so would stick with Winamp with a skin that has big easy to read Mr. Magoo style buttons.

Other options are still of interest so keep the thread going with any news of progs. that have this kind of full set of controls.

VLC is my personal favorite but I'll switch when needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.