martin logan's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Martin Logan Aeon's.

I've just embarked on building the ECDESIGNS DI-16 NOS DAC with balanced outputs as my source. (hooked up to a PC with CD's ripped with lossless encoding).

I plan to plug it straight into my PC USB port, and not use a pre-amp at all.

Next, I need to upgrade my amplifier (I am currently using an Adcom 5400 which is ok, but not sure it makes my speakers shine). Any suggestions on what I should build that will work well in this environment?

Should I build a 100W Aleph-X, from what I read I'm not sure it's a good match - ML speakers can go down to 2ohms.

What's a good amp suggestion that I could try build myself to drive the ML's without a pre-amp?

Thanks for the feedback.

Will an a75 have enough power - or should I look at the higher power thread I see from a few months back and see if I could manage that project? The std a75 has pretty clear instructions / circuit designs - I'm not that comfortable with modding/customizing designs.

Building a couple of aleph 2 monoblocks looks a little easier, though I haven't seen much written about how well the aleph 2 would drive the low impedance of the ml aeon's.

I'm assuming either way - both these projects should be a significant improvement over the adcom gfa5400 right?

I take the opportunity to ask to Nelson, if he wants to reply, the following question:

What do you think is the best in between the Aleph X (100W monoblock version ...Stenoe's version) ando the normal Aleph (A2 A75 A5...and so on)?

What are the sonically difference and technical characteristics of the different versions that oyu found so far?

What is the best version for you?

I don't know if you will reply at this thread...but i hope so....because i'm very curious to know ....and because i'm going to start building a power amplifier in a few weeks.

:cool:

I'm sure that many of us is wondering the same thing :confused:

:cool: :smash:

Best,
Stefano.

right....i still get confused with the aleph ...normal A and the X version and so on... :)

Anyways....i would be very curious to know what he thinks its the nicest sounding amp here available for the diy.

Indeed i know that the sound of an amplifier depends strongly upon the matching with the other components.

But i don't know what to build...i guess that it could be taken as a good sign of abondance of projects (niceeee!!!)....

Would it be better to build the 100w monoblock version of the Aleph X or the "old" A75 ...or something else....?!?

...adviceeee :xeye:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dsiroky said:
Will an a75 have enough power

It will have enough curren, and the design is robust enough
to take you to higher voltages without much alteration.

Stefanoo said:
What do you think is the best in between the Aleph X (100W monoblock version ...Stenoe's version) ando the normal Aleph (A2 A75 A5...and so on)?

What are the sonically difference and technical characteristics of the different versions that oyu found so far?

What is the best version for you?

I have not built the Aleph X 100W as such. As to the general
differences, you will generally find that the X balanced output
Alephs are more dynamic and have lower distortion than the
single ended versions.

The preferences are split, however, and a lot depends on the
context of the system.

Me? I have no particular best - they are all different, and all
shine in their own way.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stefanoo said:
:confused: but is it not the Aleph P 1.7 one of your project?
Woudn't you be able to say what power amplifier would match this preamp?

Thanks for the answer anyways.

:whazzat: ;) :cool:

I know that I was sometimes boring to Papa.........now you are pretty close to that,too.

do your own home work -what you ask are personal preferences,dependable of many other factors:
what room
what speakers
what program material
listening habits

ask technical question and then you will have answer.........

tip:
try to sort balanced-unbalanced ,besides whats plain Aleph, or ........plain Aleph X........or plain Aleph AX :devilr:

mmmm :confused: :confused: ....

what do you mean? People that have built the Aleph X think that it was a waiste of time? why?

Indeed i have seen for instance Aleph X 100 by Stenoe and he was preatty excited about the sound of the power amp.

Did you build it? if so, what do you think?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stefanoo said:
mmmm :confused: :confused: ....

what do you mean? People that have built the Aleph X think that it was a waiste of time? why?

Indeed i have seen for instance Aleph X 100 by Stenoe and he was preatty excited about the sound of the power amp.

Did you build it? if so, what do you think?

stefano,what you ask here is that someone tells you directly what he wrote already...........

nobody will tell you "this is holly grail" ,just because everyone must find own one .

and-just lucky ones can say that they found it.

steen is - his grail is not one particular amp ,his grail is building amps.
what your will be only you can know.

start building X100
you can make later any other Pass amp of it......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.