build by Nelson Pass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took a moment between one emergency and the next and Googled the guy. I'm assuming you derived Nelson's name from a review that says:

"A similar, if somewhat more extreme, style can be found with Nelson Pass' Zen designs of single-ended MOSFET amps..."

They are comparing the A-18's circuit to Nelson's Zen amps, saying that both are examples of minimalist circuits. They are not saying that Nelson had anything to do with the A-18 design.
For what it's worth, they also make a comparison to Jean Hiraga. Again, they are not saying that Hiraga had anything to do with the design.

Grey

GRollins said:
I think you've pretty much answered yourself.
Nelson's early days would have been the '70s. Toroids used as output transformers didn't become popular until the '90s.
Do you have a link to this putative circuit?

Grey

My brother gets this amp this week I'll keep you posted about the amp.My brother is thinking that it is a Pass amplifier and he asked me if it is.I told him I look it up.Maybe it is a modified amp,I only know for sure if I see it.I let you know in time if you're interested.

GRollins said:
I took a moment between one emergency and the next and Googled the guy. I'm assuming you derived Nelson's name from a review that says:

"A similar, if somewhat more extreme, style can be found with Nelson Pass' Zen designs of single-ended MOSFET amps..."

They are comparing the A-18's circuit to Nelson's Zen amps, saying that both are examples of minimalist circuits. They are not saying that Nelson had anything to do with the A-18 design.
For what it's worth, they also make a comparison to Jean Hiraga. Again, they are not saying that Hiraga had anything to do with the design.

Grey
That's the same what I told my brother.The guy that sold the amp to my brother said it's a Pass Lab.We'll see.

Assuming the circuit I saw was anything like the one your brother is buying, I think it's safe to say that the A-18's use of MOSFETs for the output stage is about as close as it comes to Nelson's designs.
Of course, there are (ahem) one or two other designs that can make that same claim, so you could also say the A-18 was like any number of other amplifiers...and by extension like their designers' philosophies.
It's a dead issue.

Grey

He said specifically that it's from Pass Labs? That's getting close to legally actionable. Return the amp. Get the money back. Tell the seller to take a hike.
Again, assuming that the schematic represents the amp your brother is getting, there is no resemblance between that amp and Pass Labs product.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.