Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

X100 backengineered here
X100 backengineered here
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2005, 08:41 PM   #281
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

X100 backengineered here
I don't feel that setup/adjustment is a particular problem, if the right documentation is available, with a clear, well laid out and marked up board. A well written construction handbook, proceeding in a logical manner through the process would certainly ease the dificulties. In fact, as I can't help much with the theory side, I will volunteer to write such a manual if the project gets off the ground.
“One of the poets, whose name I cannot recall, has a passage, which I am unable at the moment to remember, in one of his works, which for the time being has slipped my mind, which hits off admirably this age-old situation.”
― PG Wodehouse
Old 19th January 2005, 09:11 PM   #282
Petter is offline Petter
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
I don't feel that setup/adjustment is a particular problem, if the right documentation is available, with a clear, well laid out and marked up board. A well written construction handbook, proceeding in a logical manner through the process would certainly ease the dificulties. In fact, as I can't help much with the theory side, I will volunteer to write such a manual if the project gets off the ground.

I already wrote up a way of setting up the unit elsewhere in this thread, and I must insist that it is not easy. If you want to make it relatively simple, you need to unsolder components etc.

My personal next version may well end up with a scheme for maintaining correct bias in input stage, especially if it is Zen'ed.
Old 19th January 2005, 09:33 PM   #283
GregD is offline GregD  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MBK
In the context of bi- or tri-amping, it would make sense to have several small size (heat sinks! transformers!) a / ab amps such as the X-amp, that run low class a wattage for all normal listening, but have high peak capability for dynamics.MBK
I like what you said about average levels and peak levels, it sounds spot on to me. Unfortunately, my speakers aren't biampable or triampable, and have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. I'd like an amp that can run up to about 20 watts class A able to hit peaks of 500 to 600 watts class AB. I think this should be doable without too big of heat sinks.
Old 24th January 2005, 09:43 PM   #284
Petter is offline Petter
diyAudio Member

Default Update on isolatin washers and grease

In an earlier post, I wrote about isolating washers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...php?postid=841

This now seems to be superceeded. I no longer prefer the Bergquist isolators (even though they are probably still very good) - I have since converted to Aluminum Oxide washers as they are now quite common. To mount, I now use heatsink grease intended for computer industry. I don't know if it is any better, but I find it relatively easy to apply with a knife edge to these hard units. The grease I use is called Arctic Silver Ceramique and is non-conductive (http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm)

Since I don't produce a lot of units, the cost of the grease is largely irrelevant, and to say the truth I must admit that other "fancy" greases are painful to employ. Too much like clay to get it "knifed" of "squeezed" into a thin layer so it probably does more harm than good.

Your mileage may vary.

Petter
(I never was able to employ BeO units due what was claimed to be European import restrictions, but that is probably just as well)
Old 24th January 2005, 10:18 PM   #285
cocolino is offline cocolino  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
originally posted by GregD
I'd like an amp that can run up to about 20 watts class A able to hit peaks of 500 to 600 watts class AB. I think this should be doable without too big of heat sinks.
Depends on what You consider as not too big.....
For that much of max. power You`d need lots of supply voltage.
Although 20W Class-A appears little, the required bias to achieve it, together with this high voltage supply to get the max. power You aim for, it would mean quite some dissipated heat.

I think what You describe pretty much would equal a Pass X-350.......
Old 25th January 2005, 12:02 AM   #286
GregD is offline GregD  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cocolino

Depends on what You consider as not too big.....
For that much of max. power You`d need lots of supply voltage.
Although 20W Class-A appears little, the required bias to achieve it, together with this high voltage supply to get the max. power You aim for, it would mean quite some dissipated heat.

I think what You describe pretty much would equal a Pass X-350.......
I was thinking something more along the lines of an X-250.
Old 28th January 2005, 03:22 PM   #287
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by GregD

I'd like an amp that can run up to about 20 watts class A able to hit peaks of 500 to 600 watts class AB. I think this should be doable without too big of heat sinks.
I am with you. I have been searching for a solution like this for a while. I am starting Aleph 1.2 now, but would be quite happy to jump on the Class A/AB with max 500 - 600 W in AB. I like cappability of easy scaling power up and down based on personal needs, such as Aleph amps - add or deduct amount of Mosfets and rail voltage and pick your power.
Old 28th January 2005, 08:42 PM   #288
GRollins is offline GRollins  United States
diyAudio Member

The scalability will be limited if you cascode the front end. Assuming that you're using a fixed current to drive the differential, things will get ugly if you drop the voltage too far.
That's not to say that you can't recalculate things, just something to be aware of.
Carry on.

Grey
Old 29th January 2005, 05:50 AM   #289
MBK is offline MBK  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Was there ever any cross-fertilization between the "X-100 backengineered", and Uli's design here (schematic and PCB's existing, and has been built as well)? As I understand the idea is the same, but the circuit is quite radically different, esp. the front-end:

Uli's "normal X-amp"

MBK
Old 3rd March 2005, 08:42 PM   #290
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

How is it coming on this thread? I already ordered 50 Irfp240 and the same amount of Irfp9240's. Well I had a pretty good deal, but
still hope this will lead to a usefull circuit BTW I had the 9240 really cheap I think, 2$ a piece

Steen.

X100 backengineered hereHide this!Advertise here!