F4 power amplifier

Choky

I looked at the data sheet and believe on the input side the two primary windings should be hooked up in parallel. ( 2 and 4 connected ; 1 and 5 connected.) positive phase connected to 2/4 and negative phase to 1/5.

Alternately 1 and 4 could be grounded and positive connected to 2 and negative to 5.

On the secondary side the center taps (6,9) should be grounded as you mention in previous post and plus output connected to 7 and negative phase to 10.

With a gain of 4x the 2V RMS from DAC should be raised to 8V

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
what sort of signal you are using ?

ballanced ,symmetric , non-ballanced ?

if you use primaries connected in series , with CT grounded at signal side , and secondaries in series - with their CT connected to gnd at receiving side .......... you'll have both perfect symmetric balanced ........ and gain of 2:8

;)

Choky

I looked at the data sheet and believe on the input side the two primary windings should be hooked up in parallel. ( 2 and 4 connected ; 1 and 5 connected.) positive phase connected to 2/4 and negative phase to 1/5.

Alternately 1 and 4 could be grounded and positive connected to 2 and negative to 5.

On the secondary side the center taps (6,9) should be grounded as you mention in previous post and plus output connected to 7 and negative phase to 10.

With a gain of 4x the 2V RMS from DAC should be raised to 8V

Thanks

That looks ideal for the Hifimans, only gotcha would be the transformer distortion at low frequencies (which are usually worse the larger the winding ration ie gain). Would be nice to find a simple low distortion 2-4x jfet gain/buffer design to compare.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , sometimes is nice to use xformer to get rid of absolute DC offset , as is case with diff. DAC chip output

several times I found that solution better than Jfet buffers with caps in signal route

whatever - there is supplement pic to my previos post

Attachments

• 1674.jpg
    1674.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 515
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
off course that you can skip connecting primary CT to signal gnd side

as I'm saying frequently - gnd is just state of mind :clown:

few tips :

-depending of signal source impedance , freq. sweep will show does secondaries need some loading or not

- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say .

Last edited:
off course that you can skip connecting primary CT to signal gnd side

as I'm saying frequently - gnd is just state of mind :clown:

few tips :

-depending of signal source impedance , freq. sweep will show does secondaries need some loading or not

- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say .

I would need drawing
Thanks

Choky as you said

"- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say ."

With your schematic as reference would it be possible to connect transformer between junction of R4/R3 and junction of C1/C2.

I would use Jack Ellianos PVA2-N as generg favored it in post 23 of MAGMA thread - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/188109-introducing-magma-front-end-ba-2-f4-3.html

I believe it could also be wired as an autoformer. Cost is nice as 4 of these would be less than the Lundahls

Thanks

Bob

Attachments

• hdphnf4r0.jpg
    hdphnf4r0.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 459
Choky as you said

"- it's worth trying xformer as in M1 - nested between input buffer and output stage

- it's worth trying xformer connected as autoformer ; if you need drawing of that ,just say ."

With your schematic as reference would it be possible to connect transformer between junction of R4/R3 and junction of C1/C2.

I would use Jack Ellianos PVA2-N as generg favored it in post 23 of MAGMA thread - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/188109-introducing-magma-front-end-ba-2-f4-3.html

I believe it could also be wired as an autoformer. Cost is nice as 4 of these would be less than the Lundahls

Cost of the Sowters buzzforb recommends if appropriate are even better. Haven't heard back from seller.

Thanks

Bob

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Choky as you said

Thanks

Bob

for your balanced F4 can iteration , you need xformer with center tapped secondary , or in other words - with two section secondary

either that , or using one xformer per leg ...... which isn't smartest thing if you can choose

I don't know does PVA2-N have CT secondary

buzzforb - thanks for info

Choky - I understand your belief that best sound comes from one magnetic circuit

Nelson - thanks for recommendation - a couple of questions if you don't mind - remember it takes time for this to sink in my brain

Are you recommending one of the Jensens in each of my R-, R+, L+, L- legs?

Can they be connected at junction of R3/R4 (input) and junction of C1/C2 (output) on the F4 board?

I think wiring as a autoformer is grounding brown lead, connecting red and orange and using that as input, connecting yellow/ green, connecting blue/violet and using grey as output (ref http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/123alcf3.pdf)

Thanks again to all and for anyone looking for a headphone amp - a balanced F4 is at the top of my list

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
two things , unfortunately :

1. I'm not Pa

2. yes , with Jensen , being xformer sans CT secondary , you must use one per leg

3. looking at schm you posted in #3390 , connection is like attached :

4. #3 and #4 are just to confuse you , considering two things mentioned :devily:

Attachments

• jen.jpg
    jen.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 547
Last edited: