Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F4 power amplifier
F4 power amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2020, 09:09 PM   #4871
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
BTW I have my new built running nice with the Aikido preamp. I like what I hear a lot.
Old 8th October 2020, 01:22 AM   #4872
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppennino View Post
Decware clone?
No, RH84.

RH Amplifiers: RH84 amplifier - revision 2
Old 8th October 2020, 08:13 AM   #4873
peppennino is offline peppennino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Very nice schematic
Old 8th October 2020, 02:15 PM   #4874
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Uh-oh. I was moving my main stereo to another room when I fumbled my F4 and semi-dropped it, managing to recover so it didn't hit the floor, though it landed in a chair. When I listened later, one channel was about 1/3 the loudness of the other. Switching loudspeaker connections confirmed that one channel was weak (but I'm not 100% sure it's not the preamp yet; to be confirmed later). Aside from looking for anything broken and maybe checking the bias, is there any other troubleshooting tricks I can try?
Old 8th October 2020, 03:27 PM   #4875
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
preamp or not, confirm ....... then troubleshoot amp, only if needed
Old 8th October 2020, 05:35 PM   #4876
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldersmoker View Post
Uh-oh. I was moving my main stereo to another room when I fumbled my F4 and semi-dropped it, managing to recover so it didn't hit the floor, though it landed in a chair. When I listened later, one channel was about 1/3 the loudness of the other. Switching loudspeaker connections confirmed that one channel was weak (but I'm not 100% sure it's not the preamp yet; to be confirmed later). Aside from looking for anything broken and maybe checking the bias, is there any other troubleshooting tricks I can try?
Maybe just a cracked solder joint. Check the bias on that channel. Hit all of the joints with your iron.
Old 8th October 2020, 07:03 PM   #4877
soldersmoker is offline soldersmoker  United States
diyAudio Member

F4 power amplifier
Oops. Yes, it looks like one of the tubes in the preamp is in need of replacement. Never mind! But at least I know how to proceed in the future in the unlikely event I need to fix the amp. Thanks, everybody.
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:46 AM   #4878
cal3713 is offline cal3713
diyAudio Member

Hi folks. So I was reading about some $20k+ amps and read that each rail had it's own power supply transformer. This cued me to realize that I had a totally unused transformer in my power supply and could easily try this out for my f4 monoblocks (image below). Both transformers are identical, 400v anteks with dual 18v secondaries.

My question is, if I do this, what should I do with the extra secondaries. I read recommendations to just heat shrink each wire and then tie up the pair. Other people recommended connecting them in parallel to a single rectifier.

Any opinions from this group?

Thanks as always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200909_150629.jpg (1,020.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:07 AM   #4879
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

F4 power amplifier
Parallel the secondaries on each transformer. Then you have 2 transformers with only one secondary each. One transformer per rail. Voila!
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:17 AM   #4880
cal3713 is offline cal3713
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks.

I read that there could be some problems if the windings weren't matched even if nominally rated as identical. Was thinking that really wouldn't be a problem here, but thought I'd go ahead and check. In many cases, I think the concern came from using identically rated secondaries across different transformers, thereby increasing the chances of voltage differences.

F4 power amplifierHide this!Advertise here!