Original Aleph P versions and service manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

As I already have way too many projects, and want a good solid preamp for many years to come, I'm on the hunt for a new pre. I'm currently using a Denon PRA-S10, which is nice, but it isn't really a balanced pre, and it has a lot of controls I don't use.

So I'm in the market for an Aleph P pre. I've seen one up for sale, but I know there are a few different versions. An older version of the passlabs website was saved here:
http://cygnus.ipal.org/mirror/www.passlabs.com/faq.htm

The following about the different Aleph P versions was to be found there:

How does the current ALEPH P differ from the original ALEPH P?

Remote control function for the input selector and master volume control. Laser engraving on the front panel for all controls including channel gain. Laser engraving on the rear panel for inputs and outputs Blue LED indicators for each input selection. Blue LEDs around the master volume control to indicate relative level. Redesigned main circuit board. Larger toroidal power transformer. Additional circuit boards for front and rear panels. New internal input attenuation switch for extremely high inputs. More range on the master volume control, an extra 6db. More range on the channel level controls, 21 dB total. Remote control case machined from sold block of aluminum. Color of the knobs has been changed from black to instrument gray.

I've seen Aleph P's without the LED's around the volume control, and Aleph P's with the LED's around the volume control. I've also seen Aleph P's with the LED's around the volume control with "Mk II" marked under the "Pass Labs Aleph P" designation. And also Aleph P's with the LED's around the volume control without the "Mk II" designation.

Is it correct that a version with the LED's around the volume control is _always_ a Mk II unit? And how about the designation on the front panel? Was this changed?
It also said on the old passlabs website that the colour of the knobs were changed from black to gray. I've seen a few Aleph P's with black knobs and LED's around the volume control (and with remote). Were the knobs changed to black later again?

And finally, can someone send me the service manual (or service manuals, as there probably was a revision of the service manual when the Mk II version was produced)? Pictures of the insides are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

edit:
And oh, I've also seen an Aleph P with the designation "Pass Labs Aleph P" on the right side of the volume control, which is also marked as "master" instead of the usual "level".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.