Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

DIY F2 clone
DIY F2 clone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2019, 04:34 AM   #601
csample is offline csample  United States
diyAudio Member

DIY F2 clone
I tried to take both measurements tonight. I am using the built in sound card on my computer and the generator in REW to create the signal. I am running an 8 ohm dummy load and measuring at the input to the amp.

To get an idea of the frequency response I varied the input frequency to the amp and measured the voltage of the output - I did not see any variation in the output voltage of the amp from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, but it did drop off a little at 10Hz. A pretty crude test, but the results seem ok.

I am having some trouble obtaining the FFT measurement, probably due to my inexperience. The questionable measurements I have now show that I need to have a 5 Vrms output on the amplifier to get a second harmonic peak make it above what I think is a -50dBV noise floor. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:15 AM   #602
diyAudio Member

DIY F2 clone
The images below show what i am measuring for frequency response and the best I can do for the FFT.

The frequency response starts to drop off below 20 Hz, but is flat from there up to 20,000 the highest frequency measured.

The FFT shows a ~47dB difference between the fundamental and the second harmonic. These measurements were taken at 1000Hz and 5.2 Vrms or about 3.4W output. If I am getting the math right, this is about .45% distortion. The First Watt distortion chart for the F2J shows about .6% THD at this power level. So allowing for an increase due to higher order distortion, I think my amp measuring .45% seems like it is in the ball park.

Any recommendations of what to try next? I was considering trying a different C3, maybe making a 12,000 uF bank of Nichicon KZ or Silmic II? Anyone know what type of capacitor was used in the real F2J?

Is it possible that this amp/speaker combo just is not a good pairing?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 9.56.29 PM.png (21.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg F2J FFT.jpg (96.5 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by csample; 7th October 2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: corrected grammar
Old 7th October 2019, 04:51 AM   #603
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

DIY F2 clone
that is looking good, so nothing to conclude as possible culprit

any other amp as comparison , trying other source ?
Old 8th October 2019, 12:51 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

DIY F2 clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post

any other amp as comparison , trying other source ?

I just biased up my BA-3 last week and it sounds great! Not as much bass with the Vulcans as the F2J, but much clearer. It also sounds great with some 4 ohm Vifa/Scanspeak 3 way towers I built years ago, the bass is so clear and precise that it makes me think I never had an amp that could handle the low impedance 10" woofers before.

Eventually I will build the DCG3 preamp that I have parts for, maybe that will help with the 10K input impedance of the F2J. Although I though the B1 would have helped with this too...

Do you think there would be any value in changing the output electrolytics, or is this just a waste of time and money?

Thanks for the input Zen Mod, as always you are very helpful.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:05 PM   #605
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

DIY F2 clone
changing caps can only bring it closer to your taste, but can't cure-it-all

find a reason why you're not satisfied - it's either source side or speaker side

for starters - try feeding it with anything which has headphones output with volume

I remember having some amps in Yore, and I was happiest (then) feeding them ditto from crappy Technics CD headphones out

that will tell some ......
Old 8th October 2019, 05:30 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

DIY F2 clone
I will try to feed it with my Zen-Like headphone amp and see what happens. Thanks

DIY F2 cloneHide this!Advertise here!