IRF140 power mosfets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While looking back through "The Return of Zen" I noticed that Pass makes a comment about how much more he prefers the IRF040 and the IRF140 than the IRF240. He also states that as you go from the 040 to the 140 distortion increases by 50%, and as you go from the140 to the 240 it increases to 100%. The 040 is discontinued, but the 140 is still out there. What's more I can't find the 240 for as cheap as I can the 140, but Pass warns of a shortened life for the amp if the 140's are used. I don't know very much about circuitry (thanks for putting up with me guys), but I'd imagine it's because the 140 has a rating of 40V. I was wondering if the 140 could be used for some of the smaller Aleph models? Specifically the Aleph 3 and Aleph 5. What kind of change in lifespan might the amp be looking at, and if a MOSFET did go on an Aleph what else if anything might it destroy? Thanks in advance for any input.

Rob

Rob,
The key to this is the specs, in particular the SOA chart of the spec sheet. Go to http://www.irf.com and look up the IRF140. It will come up as a PDF file. The SOA chart is on page 4.
The Alephs vary in how much current and voltage they apply to the output devices, but the power dissipation (per device) always ends up in the 22-25W range. The IRF140 is a 125W device, which leaves you a little elbow room. It then boils down to the particular ratio of voltage and current Nelson used in that Aleph. By all means, check the chart and calculate the wattage for your chosen circuit. You will probably find that it will work.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.