Zen V4 and 16 ohm speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have understood that the specified sensitivity (dB) explains the loudness of the speaker, while the specified impedance (ohm) is reference to the choice of amplifier having proper damping factor and output signal current (and voltage) supply.

JH

JH, in 1977 I did in fact build some very efficient Lowther horns.
I made them 1,5 times normal size so they were monsters. Two meters high, 100 kilo each with folded horns in concrete.
http://www.muyiovatki.dk/duelund/duelund.htm
I sold these dinosaurs many years ago and wouldn't go into such a project today, cause I don't want to use so much room for hifi anymore. What I'm looking for now are small DIY enclosures, booksleves size, with high efficiency to go with a cute little Zen 4 ;)

Thanks for your replies......
I'm afraid that I should rephrase my question.

I have the opportunity to purchase some drivers which I'll use in the 100 - 1000 Hz range. I can have them in 8 or 16 ohm. Assuming all other factors to be equal, would I expect the Zen V4 to perform worse, better, or the same with 16 ohm vs 8 ohm?
Thanks again,
Steve

Zen V4 AND 16 ohm speakers

I just received my Q Pack and boards last weeek for the Pearl and P. Zen. This is great.
My speakers use 15 ohm Lowther drivers and I am planning on making couple of changes to reflect these conditions.
1. Drop the current to 1 amp with a 0.67 ohm resistor.
2. Only use one power transformer because of the lower power demand.
3. May try using a smaller output coupling cap. Thinking of 4700, or some other value.
4. Reduced power output is not a problem, 3 watts is plenty for my system.
Are there any other parts values that could be changed to help the amp work better into a high impedance and low power application?

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.