UGS adventures

I like to use DALE RN55 everywhere, including the commuted ladder attenuator.
So I didn't questionned myself about that.

It seems that you are not satisfied with the resulting sound.

You may be have some other problem that have to be solved first.
Using standard metal film resistors, the sound was already astounding (compared to live sound of classic music), so I permit myself to ask.

Can you post some pictures of your preamp version please (in particuliar the Cheff's UGS modules) ?

In Pass Labs X350.5 amp, there are 2 "UGS 5" modules, got 2 pots each channel, signed as "ABS" and "DIFF". So I guess I can adjust these 2 offsets the same way?
"(1) Short inputs to ground", I am using balanced input, does this mean I short 3 pins of XLR connector?

Thank you.

1) Short inputs to ground.
2) With a voltmeter across Vout+ and Vout-, adjust the 25R pot to read 0V (relative offset)
3) Votlmeter between Vout+ (or Vout- if you want) and ground, adjust the 50R pot to read 0V (absolute offset)
4) Let warm up for 1/2 to 1 hour
5) Recheck point 2 & 3
6) You're done

Best

Hello to all.

I recently acquired a set of boards (13 pieces) of this mighty preamp. I gathered most of the documents but I noticed the BOM for the input selector/ladder attenuator is not available. I tried all the links posted on this thread but all of them are DEAD, anyone with the documents kindly send it to me please. Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,
Junie

Hello to all.

I recently acquired a set of boards (13 pieces) of this mighty preamp. I gathered most of the documents but I noticed the BOM for the input selector/ladder attenuator is not available. I tried all the links posted on this thread but all of them are DEAD, anyone with the documents kindly send it to me please. Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,
Junie

Junie raises an interesting question. Why not a second buy of PCBs. Perhaps not all 13, but is there interest for the preamp modules? Or, perhaps people are interested in all the PCBs?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello to all.

Cheers,
Junie

Here you go Junie, Cheff's own plus attenuator calculator:

Attachments

• BOM.zip
    25.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Junie raises an interesting question. Why not a second buy of PCBs. Perhaps not all 13, but is there interest for the preamp modules? Or, perhaps people are interested in all the PCBs?

That might be a good idea, this is a fantastic preamp....had mine for ages and it still makes my day :D...it's perfectly doable with the new LSKs or matched 2SK170 and 2SJ74's.