Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

UGS adventures
UGS adventures
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:23 PM   #991
taoben65 is offline taoben65
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
what is UGS
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 09:20 AM   #992
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
CeeVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
UGS adventures
Universal Gain Stage .
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 06:30 PM   #993
Thomas Giz is offline Thomas Giz  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: FL, Orlando
Anyone having spare boards for UGS ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:34 AM   #994
apassgear is offline apassgear  Mexico
diyAudio Member
 
apassgear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Viņa del Mar, Torreon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashek View Post
Anyone having spare boards for UGS ?
I might be able to help...PM me please

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:46 AM   #995
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member
 
nar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: near the sea
I also have some spares, from our recently finished UGS project + UGS Motherboard

Best,

nAr
__________________
"Just 'cause they can't hear or sense it themselves doesn't mean you can't !" Allen Wright Allen was right ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 04:14 PM   #996
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member
 
nar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: near the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by nar View Post
I also have some spares, from our recently finished UGS project + UGS Motherboard

Best,

nAr
Now in da box n' playing nicely

Ladder connector detail

PSU-ombilical, need to build proper case

Best regards,

nAr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fgvjns2z65mh.jpg (8.2 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg hhlgqpcmtiho.jpg (17.2 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg 3gavs7kum1zi.jpg (16.5 KB, 758 views)
__________________
"Just 'cause they can't hear or sense it themselves doesn't mean you can't !" Allen Wright Allen was right ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 05:20 PM   #997
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I intend to use the Joshua Tree attenuator from twistepearaudio.com in front of the UGS pre. The standard resistor set that can be bought together with the attenuator gives an input impedance between 2,2 kohm and 10 kohm and an output impedance of 750 ohm. I bought the attenuator boards without any parts so I am free to chose the resistors to suit my needs. I am a little worried that 2,2 kohm would be a little low at the input of a pre. What do you think? Should I go for a little higher impedance?
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 05:34 PM   #998
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member
 
nar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: near the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSen View Post
I intend to use the Joshua Tree attenuator from twistepearaudio.com in front of the UGS pre. The standard resistor set that can be bought together with the attenuator gives an input impedance between 2,2 kohm and 10 kohm and an output impedance of 750 ohm. I bought the attenuator boards without any parts so I am free to chose the resistors to suit my needs. I am a little worried that 2,2 kohm would be a little low at the input of a pre. What do you think? Should I go for a little higher impedance?
It might be problematic for your source. I mean, the Joshua model is designed to be placed at preamp output, not input. Standard sources won't like to be loaded with variable impedance and as low as 2,2k. For that reason at UGS input a fixed impedance attenuator of 47k or 50k is preferred.

You can keep the existing resistor values you have, and by placing attenuator at the output it would likely work and would be a better match; UGS won't mind the varying impedance of the ladder. A 10k fixed ladder might be a better solution at the output though.

UGS out impedance is about 125 ohms single ended and 250 ohm differential.

Best,

nAr
__________________
"Just 'cause they can't hear or sense it themselves doesn't mean you can't !" Allen Wright Allen was right ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 07:10 PM   #999
ENSen is offline ENSen  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nar View Post
It might be problematic for your source. I mean, the Joshua model is designed to be placed at preamp output, not input. Standard sources won't like to be loaded with variable impedance and as low as 2,2k. For that reason at UGS input a fixed impedance attenuator of 47k or 50k is preferred.

You can keep the existing resistor values you have, and by placing attenuator at the output it would likely work and would be a better match; UGS won't mind the varying impedance of the ladder. A 10k fixed ladder might be a better solution at the output though.

UGS out impedance is about 125 ohms single ended and 250 ohm differential.

Best,

nAr
You are probably right, I should put the attenuator after the pre.

I will start with these boards since I already have them but later I may try a 10K ladder as well.

Thanks for the answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 04:14 AM   #1000
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member
 
nar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: near the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSen View Post
You are probably right, I should put the attenuator after the pre.

I will start with these boards since I already have them but later I may try a 10K ladder as well.

Thanks for the answer.
It will work at the output

For ladder at the input input I mounted two of those for balanced operation in stereo, so far so good :

http://www.audiophonics.fr/potentiom...0k-p-5228.html

Best,

nAr
__________________
"Just 'cause they can't hear or sense it themselves doesn't mean you can't !" Allen Wright Allen was right ...

Last edited by nar; 25th October 2011 at 04:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


UGS adventuresHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki