Another Zv9 completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my version of Zv9:

It is a very good sounding amp.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 608
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 596
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the amps with Fertins 20 EX which are approx 100dB efficient. Zv9 has much less gain than GC, I can connect NOS DAC directly (2V ouptut) and the sound is about normal listening level.

I only had it on for few hours, so it's hard to draw any conclusions. First impression is that it sounds softer, with less bite and less edge. How desirable it becomes, I will write in a week or so. Beside that, tonality and detail are very similar.

BTW, I didn't switch from GC today, I had Dick Olsher's T-Rex 300B amp in my system last few days. It is a pretty good amp too.

Attachments

• rex.jpg
    rex.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 5,658
Looks like a very nice build. I have a couple of your boards and hope to have my ampilifier completed this winter. Once again thanks for making this hobby accessible to me. I have a couple of questions.

In the first photo it appears that resistors R1 and R6 were left out. I can understand R1 being left out so that a value can be selected later to obtain lowest distortion. However why is R6 left out?

What is the size of the heatsink? I am planning on a heatsink measuring 6" x 12" x 2.75" fin height for each channel, do you think this will be sufficent?

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your implementation of this amp Peter. It's always
very interesting to see your ideas unfold into an amp.

I bet you were wondering if you'd ever get to use any of your R-Theta
heat sinks again!

Looking forward to the follow up in a few weeks.

Was the T-Rex amp your build, or a loaner? I don't think we've seen
how you'd build up a tube amp.

m.

I try to use different approach to chassis building these days. Appearance is always secondary and form follows the function. If the idea of function is clearly defined, the form is not too bad either ;)
The transformer was initially intended to sit flat on a bottom bar, but it came too close to the circuit so I decided to mount it vertically.

T-Rex was built by someone else, but having the taste of 300B I will definitely build a tube amp myself as well. I still don't know which one though.

Beautiful build as always Peter. I must learn your secret of finding the time and money to build so prolifically. You've earned the same comment I made to Planet10 recently regarding his Frugel Horn developments:

Peter: Quit pressing my woo-woo button! I've got too many incomplete projects on the go already!

Seriously though, next time I'm in your part of the country I'll have to arrange a visit to your listening room.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks guys, especially to Mr. Pass for inspiration.

Steenoe,

I see no way to install 100uF film caps in place of BGs.

I did comparisons of films vs BG N in DAC coupling and I could only find one type of cap that was better in that particular application: it was teflon V-Cap, everything else (Jensen copper, MIT RTX, Hovland, Siemens MKV, Russian PIO, Woner Cap, Infini Cap) didn't perform how I like it. However, I was not looking for a sound that was impressive, but one that is true and convincing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.