citation 12 mos fet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dear DIY brothers:

I did citation 12 mos fet last week too,the sound quite good .each channel is handed with 2 IRFP240, but till now there are two
problems troubling me.

Firstly, when the voltage is large (eg: V=+-45V I=100mA), the IRFP240 is very easy destroyed.

Secondly, when the current is large (eg: V=+-35V I=1A), the IRFP240 is very easy destroyed too.

But it can work very good when the voltage is +-35V and the current is 100mA.

I had noticed the turn-on thump of C12, but is this the reason who destroyed the IRFP240?

Who can give me a favor about the explanation of this case.

Thank a lot!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 879
I also made this amp before and still working right now...before q4 was on the board, it works but easily damage the mosfets ,so i pulled them up and screwed on the main heatsink and avoided the problem... this serves as thermal track transistor..

I strongly advice Replacing R1 with a current source for the input diff pair.

Its obvious now when you look at the schematic that the input diff pair cannot control the VAS when the voltage across R1 is less then half the supply voltage, due the resistive load R2 (sized to split the current equally in the diff pair at normal operation)

Simply put when the supply voltage bellow about half the supply voltage Q3 is turned off and R3 and R4 acts as pull up on the Q6 putting what is left in the reservoir caps across the speakers...

Attachments

• Citation12_shut_down_8ohm_load.bmp
    146.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Citation12_Shut_down_CCS_on_diff_No_Load.bmp
    146.3 KB · Views: 142
I strongly advice Replacing R1 with a current source for the input diff pair.

Its obvious now when you look at the schematic that the input diff pair cannot control the VAS when the voltage across R1 is less then half the supply voltage, due the resistive load R2 (sized to split the current equally in the diff pair at normal operation)

Simply put when the supply voltage bellow about half the supply voltage Q3 is turned off and R3 and R4 acts as pull up on the Q6 putting what is left in the reservoir caps across the speakers...

Wow, great catch!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.