Where are the ZV9 builders???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
bontakun said:
I am shocked at what 5% variance means for some of these resistors. Like the 0.47R measured as 1.1R or higher. Just surprised about that.

Don't be surprised. It is due to additional resistance through DMM.
I usually use the method as shown in the attached sketch, where
we could choose the resistors within about 1% tolerance.
:)

I hope this info will help.

Attachments

• selection of low value resistor.jpg
    selection of low value resistor.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,757
Babowana said:

:)

I hope this info will help.

Make sure you also short your probes to get its resistance...some meters can be calibrated or zeroed to compensate the R of the probes.

I thought mine was a little flat so I changed the feedback resister to 100k. I also put a buffer in front of the amp. With the amp it has the same gain as a normal amp 28 or so db. The ZV9 is a very nice sounding amp. I woud like a couple more watts. :devilr:

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Babowana said:

Kkkkk hhhhhhhh . . . I was wrong. Very sorry.
I should have wrote down as +/-5% tolerance. :devilr:

I have thought another way to find similar values in five groups
I hope the attachment will well explain what I have thought about.
Of cource, if we have expensive precision ohm meter,
it would be the best solution . . . :)

Attachments

• finding 0.47r.jpg
    finding 0.47r.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,155
flg,
Wind your own. Inductors are one of the few things we can make for ourselves.
I told my wife today that I feel as though I'm trying to pave a mile of road. Just a single mile. But...I'm only able to pave one foot per day, perhaps two feet if I'm lucky. The goal is clear. The execution is easy enough. But that 1'/day limitation is killing me.
Oh, well. If life were easy, I'd be like the hare--I'd get so far ahead that I'd take a nap and that wily tortoise would scoot past me.
Maybe I should simply plan on being the tortoise.

Grey

Yes, I realize that. However, although I've collected lots of useful components over the years, hundreds of feet of magnet wire wasn't one of them. Nor was any sort of core that might allow the use of less wire... :bawling:
So, I wrote hammond regarding their 195T5 choke and it's suitabiliity to my project... No response yet??? But I think it might do the trick :confused:
Just don't have the $$$ to go to far with this idea right now and it seems like the big 100mH DC choke is as cost effective as any...
Got an interview tomorrow :D :D :D Maybe I'll get back to some income soon :smash: :smash: :smash:

Yea, Thanks grey. I've seen some better units at other surplus places but the price of those 195T5's looks pretty good. And maybe their applications expertiese will help me out too...
The interview went well today. I might be part of the taxpaying public again soon. They called me 2 hours latter. :D :D :D
So, what "mo Watts" idea with ZV9 are you working on???Com'on :bigeyes:
You've probably seen my L Loaded ZV9 thread. It works and sounds pretty good for now, thanks to N.P.s work. The gain is a little low though. (Actually 1/2 what I commented on in the thread, my mistake) The low freq's could be better too, but that's all in the L... I will have to rename it the SEJ (Single Ended JFET) Amp :D

I haven't seen one(bridged), but I posted an idea for a ZV9-T or two. I didn't get around to building any of them due to moving and job hunting etc. etc.
I've built a dual JFET gain stage with a Z4 style buffer that does more Amps and more gain. :D I've tried several power trafo primaries but none able to deal with the saturation problem well enough for my liking. I'm hoping to try one of those Hammond 195 series chokes when I can scrap up the $$$ :D :D :D

If no one else steps up to the plate, I'll put it on my list of things to do. The problem is that it'll be about the 12th of Never before I get around to it. I've got two crossover updates, a preamp, and three power amplifiers all on the front burner, plus a repair, and...naturally...all the other things I do.
Jeez, if they'd only let me bring in oscilloscopes, soldering irons, resistors and all to work, I could get something done. Bummer.

Grey

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
A working balanced scheme would be mighty cool- to use optimally with my BOSOZ. Also shouldn't be hard.

yup
it's possible to make it as CCS-X-BLS
with or without modulated upper ccs-es.......in short withALeph upper CCS-es or with plain ones.........variations ;)
if I'm not completely wrong.......as illustration -look at pic

Attachments

• chokyfying-xccs-bls-w.jpg
    chokyfying-xccs-bls-w.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,177
Working on it

Not sure if this is the proper place for this but I didn't want to start a new thread about it, and I am kind of a Zen 9 builder, though not finished yet.

Cred to veteran for his zen pcb but I wanted a board with all transistors on one side so I could mount all 240s with one bracket (+ some other things that I needed to change), so I whipped this up last night. It's probably not even near a perfect layout, so I humbly ask for input.

www.student.itn.liu.se/~andja285/Zen v.9.pdf

(Server is down from time to time, sorry about that. To big to attach)

Thanks...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.