Aleph 5 Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Forum!

First of all please do not kill me for this question. But i'm not that expert and i want to be sure that my Aleph 5 will work.

For the Power Supply for ONE Mono i will use:

- 2 x Toroid: 2 x 29V, 260VA
- 4 x C: 47.000/40V (RIFA, PEH169, 85°C)

When I look at the Voltage after the Diodes i will have about 41V.
Can I use the 40V Cap.?? Or do I have to face some Problems when the Amps are on for hours?

The reason why I want to use Cap. with 40V is, that i got them very cheap.

Thank You very much
Martin

Nelson,

Do you use 40 V caps on 41 V rails after the bridge?

I personally use a little more.

for 38V(after the rectifications and caps) rails I used 50V caps, but I that only for extra safety.

I don't know elecronics to say that it must be 50V.

(in my bridge decks designs I use 1.5 safety factor, and they don't fall with the cars over, so I use the same principle to other stuff that I don't really know)

But Nelson does:D

The Rifa:s is quality caps but running them above the voltage limit will atleast reduce there lifespan, i guess they got safety vents so they don´t explode ;-)

you should atleast get some voltages of safty margin, (what if the AC mains swings up a bit)

Maybe you can unwrapp some of the Transforemer windings to lower the voltage a bit?

btw, I think Nelson was refering to the Aleph living of ~41V not the caps??

/micke

You can never have to much capacitance...but you do want some safty margin, if the 22mf caps are higher voltage, them you might want to use a LC filter to reduce the voltage a bit and then use the Rifas, (btw you will also decrease the inrush current a bit)

/micke

Tolerance for caps is mainly +-20% or so but on the speced capacitance not on the voltage!....

The transformer is a bit small (IMHO) althoug not to small, i would use a 2x25V 600VA or so for the monoblocks...

Btw, you dosen´t seem to have any load voltage drop (29*1,414=41v) it should be lower considering the 3A voltage draw from the aleph and diod losses and the small toroid.

/micke

you can use as much capacitance as you want... but the caps will probobly don´t last long if you use 41V rails over 40V caps if the AC get up a bit then you might have ~45V over the caps and that they will most certainly not like.

Btw...keep your eyes well clear from the safety vents on the caps!!!!

/micke

Hello,

The 40 V capacitors would work ok with 29 V transformer and with Aleph 5 amplifier.

The voltage over the capacitors would be lower
when the power supply will be under load ( Aleph amplifier
connected to it ).
Try to use inductors in the power supply, they will also slightly lowered the PS voltage.

Btw...keep your eyes well clear from the safety vents on the caps!!!!

It would be even better to keep entire head away from the capacitors when you are not 100% shure about their specs and limits.

Best regards,
Kristijan Kljucaric
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip

Hi Friends!

Can you tell me the Type and the Value of the Choke if I want to do it that way. This should bring down my Voltage a little bit so that I can use my 40V Caps!
This is exact the layout for MY Power Supply (Thanks Kristijan)

Thank you very much!
Martin

Attachments

• aleph5power.gif
    aleph5power.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,031
Can you tell me the Type and the Value of the Choke if I want to do it that way. This should bring down my Voltage a little bit so that I can use my 40V Caps!

Yes martinschki, you can go with ~4 mH (3.9mH) air-core and you can lower the voltage 1-2 V ;)

I've purchased those capacitors over the e-bay recently and I am not sure if anyone can tell me if they are worthy. For 12pc $50 :)

As well I can't tell what the production date is on them from code?, anyone knows? :confused:

Attachments

• 44000ufside.jpg
    44000ufside.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,789
Oh Noooooooo:bawling: Is this mean that I can't use them, douughh.

The seler mentioned that they are new and never used, but I will try to recondition them, lets hope that works, becouse they seem to be nice and tall which is what we need for PS in any stronger amp. There should be 6 in one mono block = ~250.000 uF

Any idea haw safe would be to use them.

Thanks rendisha:(

Trigon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.