How to increase gain of Pearl Phono?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

The Pass Pearl phono stage is my first full DIY project from ground up. Hence I would consider myself a DIY newbie.

The Pearl was complete about a week ago and mated to my Rega Elyias MM cartridge. But I find that, with the Pearl in my set up, I need 3-5db more gain.

Can any helpfull soul please tell me what I need to do to get more gain?

BTW, I already did a search but did not find the specific answer.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

For the sake of sharing, I've learnt that to increase the Pearl Phono gain is R19. It originaly has a value of 499R but I have increased the resistor value to 909R to get the desired gain.

Many thanks to Promithues for helping me out.

Hope this can help future Pearl builders who requires higher gain.

Lastly, many thanks to Nelson Pass for sharing this wonderfull design.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Resurrecting an old thread. I built the original version of the Pearl phono and used it successfully for many years with a beefy Musical Fidelity amp. But I sold the amp and am using a svelte NAD D3020 instead. The Pearl does not have enough gain to drive the NAD: with the knob on max I get only get enough volume for soft jazz. So...

... can I safely increase the gain on the Pearl? Is it as simple as increasing the value of R19, as in this thread? Would changing R19 to 750R get me 50% more gain without compromising the cascode or the equalization circuit? Do I also need to decrease R18 & R21 to apply more voltage?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.