Poll! What do you use in your X-BOSOZ or BOSOZ for Volume Control and Input Selector?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Duck-Twacy said:
Interresting,

Does anybody know whats the difference between:
V-03 (RA) balance

I beleive that this one comes with Holco resistors

and
V-03 (Japan Soshin) balance
The descriptiona seem the same (except for the price).
I believe "Soshin" is some Japanese brand?

and this one comes with Japanese Soshin brand resistors. I bought this one. Btw they both include a remotecontrol.

/Kari

steenoe said:
I use a goldplated Elma with 4 decks(SMD's) You can actually buy those here in Denmark:) What the heck, take a look at my friends
totally crazy volume control:D
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/magura-40stepattenuator/pict0001 Can you spot the lighter in there:)

Steen:)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: um, now that's cool!

I'm hoping Russ keeps the ball on that relay job....

Go Russ! If you can't do it, no-one can!

Sneak preview

Just could not resist :D

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 782
Russ White said:
Just two are needed for balanced operation.

There will a couple of controller options, the first availables will be a simple tactile version (one knob) :D

But there will be others, plus inegration with the Source selector Bian and I are working on.

It Would be neat to make it all module's that way you can make it simple OR advanced for more or less features.

ideally what would be neat is.

Lcd display
volume pot
Source Selector's
Mute
Remote
Stand Buy Power.

:)

jleaman said:
ideally what would be neat is.

Lcd display
volume pot
Source Selector's
Mute
Remote

Just to let everybody know that I'm also working on a volume attenuator. It's intended to be of the highest quality available, taking into account functionality and options. So all above will apply as well there will be 130 steps and approx 60dB range, with the average step 0.1- 0.2dB

It is based on 9 SMD relays and 14 quality resistors (Vishays and Caddocks). Preliminary tests indicate that it's much better than DACTs and any other potentiometer I tried so far. And what's most important, it comes very close to a pair of resistors inserted in a signal path (one series and one shunt). The initial layout of one channel (the relays, resistors and drivers) below, size is 3.5 x 1.2"

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    78 KB · Views: 690
jleaman said:

Lcd display
volume pot
Source Selector's
Mute
Remote
Standby Power.

:)

All of those things are possible. :) The relay board is completely modular. The controller is offboard. The controller part of the thing is actually simple (actually the whole thing is simple) and could be implented a number of different ways. Brian and I will offer a basic one, and a more advanced one that will work with a source selector.

This is not a money making venture for me, I will be offering all of my design as public domain including a single side PCB layout and schematic.

It is inteded to be the best and most flexible possible solution.(just kidding here as if there where a "best") :D

The relays I have for my prototype have gold contacts and so far its sounds simply just right :D I won't bore you with hyporbole. You can use whatever resistors you like.

As soon as all the rest of my "preffered" parts get here I will build the final prototype.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:
Hmm so thats and average of .15db that would rqeuire at least 400 steps. ;)

Using that many steps would be not practical, so in a range 0dB to -10dB steps are approx 0.1 dB, down to -20dB steps are 0.2 - 0.5dB and the range -20dB to -60dB is covered by 14 steps only, which is quite resonable considering this range is very seldom used.

By choosing resistors value it can be further adjusted to any particular needs.

My design is truly logarithmic with exact .5db steps and a constant ouput impedance. I will be providing a free simple web application for calculating resistor values for any output impedance you like. So you can make a 500K attenuator or a 5K attenuator, whatever you like!!

Actually it would be quite easy to do this circuit on protoboard too. Anyway I will be posting a thread on the subject soon. Just polishing up the goodies.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.