[BOSOZ] PCB fot the Audio input Selection board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan to build a BOSOZ and this case I choose to use the Audio Input Selection Board from Seungyun Lee.
You can see some pics from his job here:
http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/zenpre-p1.htm

or here for the full project ( attention the site is in Korean):

www.diymania.net

The problem was that for this board, he has made the PCB layer by hand and the scanned pics are not in a sufficient quality to make some good PCB:
Top:
relay-in-a.jpg

Bottom
relay-in-b.jpg

My board design is not new, is the same as the original one. The board was designed with EAGLE and looks like that:
ASI.png

In the attached file you find all EAGLE files and a copy in Gerber format!

The part list and the wire plan are available here:
part list
wire plan

Alex

Attachments

• ais.zip
    71.9 KB · Views: 510
My BOSOZ Relay Input Board

I have made a BOSOZ input relay Board, pictured below. It uses 4 Quad NAIS latching relays each which switches the pos and neg inputs for a single channel. This is my 1st DIY in about 15 years so I am new at it, but this appears to work, my preamp will be ready in a month or two.

Its 2"x4" which is really small and there is kind of a wacky layout. Don't hate me! The layout is the best I could do since I am using the free eagle pcb program which limits board size.

This is actually pretty good from a signal perspective (I think, hey this is my 2nd Board so what do I know), and is 2 Oz copper. All unselected inputs are grounded through 100K resistors. The diodes are there to protect reverse emf from hurting the relay contacts, as suggested by an app note I read once.

Inputs are selected with a 9 pin contact.

1. set input 1
2. reset input 1
3. set input 2
4. reset input 2
5. set input 3
6. ground
7. reset input 3
8. set input 4
9. reset input 4.

When I make a selection of an input through a momentary pushbutton switch, a diode matrix (on another board) fowards the appropriate 5 volts to the pins of this board and this board sets the relay you want and resets the 3 other relays. Its kind of foolproof (hopefully) but be forewarned, these relays are expensive.

Oh, and do you see my cool 9 pin mini-DIN connector! (actually its not installed on this board...yet, but you see it in the layout) Yeah baby! I told you I was new at this. Wait till you see my BOSOZ. I am definately dangerous.

Here is a combo-pic of the relay board.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

How much are you guys willing to spend the money for a relay (DIL relays) ?

I recently open the RS components catalogs on relay, and there are some (small current, DIL) relays costing about US$11 !

Also, what characteristics are good for audio purpose?
I've seen some relays with various contact material:

- Ag on Au (silver on gold)
- AgNi + Au plated
- 92/8 gold/silver alloy over silver-palladium contacts
- Ag + Au clad
- AgCdO (silver cadmium oxide)
- etc.

What are the best contact material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.