My Zen V4 Dual Mono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you.

approximately,

Heat sink $40; chassis aluminium $110; Toroid $77; electronic $120; PCB $50; PS caps $28; RCA female jack $14.5; binding post $25; plus other smaller stuffs. Totally around $480 (it doesn't include shipping cost though).

I'm sure you can cut your cost on metal if you find a local supply. I was so lazy to search locally that I purchase from internet. I use cardas RCA and vampire binding post too. I have a tendency to spend money on good connectors that i don't know whether they really worth to. It makes me feel comfortable, I guess.

:xeye:
Wallace

a question?

first off very nice job. your amp turned out veru beautiful and nicer looking than most pro jobs.

i have been looking at this site and the pass diy site and thinking about giving it a go. i have done a search and haven't really seen that much about the sonic difference between the zen and the aleph series. what do you expect to hear defferently coming out of the aleph 5.

also what about the cost differences between buliding the two amps. you said around 450 $ for the zen. what do you think you lay out for the aleph 5 mono's?

for a newbie in this but a good sense of diy and smarts is one really easier than the other??? and if so which one...?

thank you and good luck with new sounds,

gary

Regarding pricing Aleph 5 monos here is the the list of most expensive to least.
1. Heat sinks . Could be as much as half the price of the project so any savings there would help. Mine cost 400 Euros or about 400 Usd .(4X 250mmX300mmX4mm). Ouch !! You could probably do with less heat sinking than this.
2. Power supply caps. You'll need around 150,000 to 200,000uF.
Could cost between 120 to 200 Euros.
3. Transformers. 2x 500VA. Around 100 Euros.
4. Output Mosfets . Irfp 240 cost me around 4-5 euros each. Minimum is 6 per channel so around 50 Euros.
5. Aluminium panels. Cut to size. 60 Euro.
6. PCB . Dpends if you make it yourself. I wasted a couple till I got it right. Around 60 Euros.Can buy them ready for a little more.
7. Electronics. Can't remember exactly but it is the cheapest.

Gray,

I think the cost of a pair of Aleph 5 mono would be just slightly more than a Zen V4. As Proto said, it depends quite a lot on what kind and price of heatsink you use. A5 need a bigger transformer so add some cost to it too. Also, you need matched mosfets for Aleph, either buy a bunch of them to match yourself or get them matched from other source. Both cost you some extra money.

As I mentioned before, I feel more comfortable to have a "construction manual" to follow so I start out with Zen V4. In fact, many diyers and Nelson himself said A5 is not any harder than Zen V4.

I recall someone said in another thread that A5 sound more "authority" than Zen. So far, I have a feeling that the Zen is very comfortable to listen to but slightly lack the bottom power (the penultimate zen article has already mentioned but still good to my taste). Beside, a 60W vs 25W gonna make some difference in some loudspeakers and maybe quite desirable.

Below is the heatsink I planned to use for my coming Aleph 5 mono. One piece for each side that would be dissipating around 75W. I compare this heatsink with one in Aavid and believe it has a thermal resistance of about 0.42 W/C. So it would be about 31.5C rise above ambient (25 +31.5 = 56.5C) which is very good. I'm being conservative that lets say it rise to 39C above ambient, which is finally at 64C, still acceptable to me. :hot:

Wallace ;)

Attachments

• hsa5.jpg
    hsa5.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 691
thanks so much

thank you for sharing. i don't plan on starting anything until after the new. right now i am still trying to sort out what i really want to do and this info helps a lot. good luck with the aleph 5's and i look forward to watch their progress here at the site. at least i hope you share along the way.

thanks,

gary

Wchick;

I have built the Zen4 with one channel on a 9" section
of the Aavid heatsink shown above (total dimension =
9" x 9.75" x 2.28").

I am running the low power version (no r1) so I am
dissipating approximately 66 watts per channel.

The heatsink barely gets hot. Your 75 watts will not
even phase those sinks...

As soon as I find something to measure it with, I will
give you actual rise over ambient numbers.

-herm

transformer Question

Dear all,

I am a newbie also, and need transformer information. I will use the amp in 220V. What is the ideal watts of the transformer? What parameters are involved with transformers? Sorry folks, I am a mecahanical engineer and do not know much about electronics, I just love hi-fi and diy projects. Also what if I do not use toroidal transformer?

Thanks

herm,
I'm glad to hear that your heatsink work out so good. Seem quite likely that my coming A5 should be cool enough. By the way, did you buy your heatsink directly from Aavid? If so, did you buy a big piece and cut by yourself or buy them pre-cut? Also, I'm very interested to know how much they cost you.

UrSv,
I noticed that you diy yourself a pair of ProAc 2.5 clone. I wonder what amp you feed them. I plan to build a pair too and feed with pass amp (most likely Aleph 5). I know ProAc sound great with tube. Could you give some comment about this? Thanks.

Wallace

Wchick;

I paid $50 for (2) 18" sections.

I got them surplus from a local motor control manufacturer
through an inside source. Too bad I can't get more - I
would buy every one they had!

I had a buddy cut them with a band saw into 9" lengths.
Not too hard, but use lots of lubricant.

-herm

Question re: transformers. wchick, you have located your toroids side by side. Is there any bad effect from locating them stacked on top of one another. Like, some kind of saturation effect or magnetic interaction between the two?? If not, sure would save horizontal real estate to do so.

{P.S. - That is a very clean looking amp you have there, wchick. Heat sinking looks more than adequate. Hope my intended ZenV4 sinks will work --couple of 23 year old Heathkit sinks that would have been on the side of their 250 wpc kit super amp (I bought them as parts).-- but they have no where near the surface area that yours do. Have used Elliot's calculator to est. thermal resist. but not sure}

Larry Wright
Seattle area

Larry,

I can't comment the issue about stacking transformer. I myself tried to avoid this, that's why I placed them side by side. However, I do see quite a number of fellow diyers stack their transformer. Maybe other experts may comment this.

Heatsink in my amp maybe sufficient but not efficient because they are in 3 separate pieces. One of them is significantly hotter than the others. I hope you have single big heatsink in your case.

;)
Wallace

wchick;

As I stated before, I am running the Zen4 in low
power mode ( no R1 ). I am dissipating approximately
66 watts in to each 9 inch sink.

Using a kitchen thermometer, I measure a temp
of 112 degrees over a 62 ambient (fahrenheit).

Looks like you will be in good shape with your
aleph 5 monos.

-herm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.