another Aleph5 (Upgrade from ZEN)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks rod,
i do vaguely remember that thread. so if i understand correctly, increasing R19 will result in a subjectively better sound into 4 ohm loads? will this increase the heat dissipation as well? i'm a little light on the heatsinks now, by ~5-7 degrees C. i wouldn't mind playing around with the resistor, but not at the cost of increasing the heat. ohhhh the heat!!!! it is the bane of all good amps
:D

cheers,
scott

whoops,
read the thread again, and R19 is actually 385 ohms, so it is lowered, which i guess increases bias, which i guess would indeed increase the heat diss.
:(

i really like the current sound of my amp, but i haven't the equip to really tell what kind of power it is delivering to my 4 ohm speakers. oh, well, i can't complain, i'll just listen some more.

love this forum!!!

scott

follow-up info : I completed the second unit and changed the mounting of the FETs. They are no longer mounted directly to the heatsinks but to the bar that connects the heatsinks for better temperature coupling. Overall temp is 45C (after two hours) measured at the bar between two FETs. More pictures and some additional info can be found in the PassDIY gallery.

another Aleph5 (upgrade from ZEN)

Regards,
Andreas

ARAD:

Very very cool setup!

Those granite plates look awsome:D (did you make the speakers yourself?)

Now the down side:

You should use a better stand, at least for the turntable :(

Why dont you put a granit shelf OVER the furniture?

Other thing.

with the amps so far away from the sources or preamp, you need big interconnects ...

On the other and, Youwill need the shortest speaker cable that In the world

Keep up with the good work,

Pedro, the speakers are made by Beck, a small German company - the finish is very nice, much better then I could do.

The turntable sits on a multilayered platform and has a suspended chassis. Isolation from the cabinet seems to be ok. A platform mounted to the wall did not improve sound.

The interconnects between Pre and Alephs are Neutrik/Kimber. Total length is 2x2m. This connection (then asymmetrical) between Pre and ZENs was much more critical.

I put the amps next to the speakers because I used to bi-amp the speakers with my two stereo ZENs and because of the heat. The cabinet is an element that contributes greatly to the WAF - no complaints ever since I got it (all cables are nicely tucked away, no dust, etc. etc.). ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

ARAD:

again on the stand.

When I talked about the turntable over the furniture I was thinking of the inpact on the turntable when you open or close a drawer. I also have a suspended subchassis, and with very small vibrations the needle jumps sometimes.

If you put the TT over the furniture your wife could complaint a bit, but that way she wouldn't ruin your LP collection when reaching something in the drawers.

Maybe a small sign "CAUTION!:skull: do not open when music is playing"

heheheh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.